American expansion possibilities

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Dec 28, 2012.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If that's what it takes for you to feel comfortable proving Mia Hamm to be stupid, go for it.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    No, she may be being smart. I dont think she thinks a team is currently viable and it doesn’t have much to do with the MLS team’s situation. She looked at four California teams that folded early because they couldn’t make a go of it. She doesn’t want to use her money to grow the league. She wants to wait until its a sure thing maybe by all the MLS affiliated teams succeeding economically. The only trouble with that is that sure things are more expensive to buy into.

I just dont buy the script that Mia is following some sort of precedent that the other MLS teams did in deciding whether to add a women’s team. The Paulson situation is too big a counter to that argument. Going back to 2001 when the Timbers were a division 2 team under different owners doesn’t have anything to do with Paulson or the current organization any more than Say, the Sol has to do with Mia.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louisville takes the lead in the backstretch:

https://theathletic.com/1135701/2019/08/13/ (sub required)

As the nine-team NWSL has pursued expansion, much focus has been paid to the possibility of MLS teams getting involved with women’s franchises of their own. As it turns out, the next NWSL team could have its ownership roots not in MLS, but in the USL.

According to multiple sources within the USL and NWSL, Louisville is leading the list of 2020 expansion candidates for the women’s league. Louisville City FC’s ownership group has been in talks with NWSL leadership about expansion and is currently waiting on the league’s decision, per sources. If granted, the new Louisville NWSL team would be the only first-division professional team in the city.

An NWSL spokesperson did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

A big part of Louisville City FC’s pitch involved the team’s soccer-specific stadium in the up-and-coming Butchertown neighborhood, located near downtown. The venue, recently dubbed Lynn Family Stadium, will have a capacity of 14,000...

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Louisville U women averaged 1121 fans per home game last year. That's not great, but it's not bad for Division I. If the new stadium is in center city as is said to be the case, and it is easily accessible from surrounding areas, then Louisville sounds like it might be a good location.

It's not a tie to MLS that's critical. It's rather a tie to a team that already has the personnel infrastructure in place that matters since it can allow the team to run on on a much more efficient financial cost basis.

I like what I'm reading on this.

Sawedoff and kolabear repped this.
  5. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
  6. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I still want a Los Angeles team. Sorry. Too many east coast teams for some odd reason, nothing from the west coast.

7. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Louisville east coast? Not quite. Growing up, I thought Pittsburgh was out west.:rolleyes:

But, it definitely is odd that California doesn't have at least one team. Apparently, so far no one who's credible wants to take on fielding a team there. What are the reasons?

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    East? Maybe. East coast? LOL
    Yeah that's a silly statement to make at all when talking about Louisville, or anything vaguely Midwest.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    An ownership group has to step up in California. I'm sure the current owners will not turn away a solid group wanting to bring a team to California. Mia Hamm seems to be talking about bringing a team to LA but so far her and her husband have not put their money where their mouth is.

10. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right. What I'm wondering is why a solid group has not stepped up. Are they thinking something about locating a team in California that is causing hesitation? Or does the League have someone they like that they've arelady lined up but who isn't ready to start yet?

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I mean, NWSL and LAFC have been courting each other even since LAFC's ownership group has come into existence. I think if they wanted to pull the trigger, they'd be in - you certainly can't say they're not a solid group. And I bet that fairly public courting has put a damper on anyone else trying to wedge into the picture.

I don't fully agree with LAFC's reason for waiting so long (I think the level of NWSL finances is on such a lower level than MLS3.0 finances that it shouldn't be taking this long) but it does make at least a little sense.

12. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    LAFC should really jump on getting a team soon. I understand wanting to wait, but 2021 should be their target. Build a team in time for 2023 when they'll get another WC boost.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Totally agree... If they want in, they should be playing before the next C'CAF Championship.

Granted, even NWSL expansion so far (including the relocations) has been announced less than a year before the respective teams kick off, so LAFC can still get another full calendar year of MLS experience under their belt before announcing and still be in for 2021... But I'd prefer more lead-up time.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What "lead-up" time do NWSL teams really need? The Courage did fine on three months. I think the Royals had less.

FootballAmator and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The nice thing about being associated with an existing organization is that a lot of lead-up time isn't needed, sure. In both of those cases, though, the organization was inheriting an existing NWSL team. For a team getting built from scratch, I would think that people involved on the inside would like to have time finding a coach, preparing for the expansion draft, courting players beforehand, doing college scouting, doing international scouting, and really getting marketing efforts going.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    An interesting point I read in a comment on AllForXI's expansion article that I wanted to share:
    I know that, in general, lower-division support doesn't map directly to pro support; we've seen it a lot in MLS expansion. At the same time, we here in NWSL-land have had the "NCAA attendance might actually be somewhat predictive" discussions, so might the same be said of UWS?

Thoughts?

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting question. As one who has thought NCAA attendance might be predictive, I can't think of a good reason why UWS attendance might not be predictive. I wonder if the dynamics are different than for men. Perhaps part of the question may be, "Where is there a significant demographic slice that values women's sports (or soccer, at least) as much as (or more than) men's sports (or soccer)?" Unusually high women's NCAA or UWS attendance might be indicative that that demographic slice is well represented in the area, suggesting it might be fertile territory for a NWSL team.

18. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Curious how close Cincinnati is towards a team? There's a Twitter page updating on their "mission". Could Cincinnati be 2-3 years down the line?

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting... I assume you mean https://twitter.com/NWSL2Cincy ?

To me, it doesn't look like they've mentioned anything directly about progress toward an NWSL franchise in a long time. That said, they did retweet one of Tannenwald's articles back in July, which I remember reading but didn't remember it saying anything about expansion, when it clearly does:
    Neither ATLUTD or FCCincy were mentioned in the more recent Equalizer article about expansion, so that (combined with the fact that the Cincy Twitter account hasn't mentioned anything substantive in a while) makes me think Cincy isn't particularly close to getting an NWSL franchise. But I could very well be misreading things.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

blissett repped this.
  21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    O h n o

It's Barca to LA all over again...

22. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    But this time it's Lyon to ???

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    2 for 2020 and 1 for 2021 seems a bit backwards in terms of scheduling, but hey I'm not gonna complain much if it happens. We know(ish) that Louisville is in for 2020; I'd guess that LAFC might be the 2021 team.

That said, in the quoted thread, he says one of the 2020 teams will be out west, while the other two are both Southeast teams. So maybe LOU+LAFC for 2020 and ATLUTD for 2021? I don't know any other markets that have been discussed previously that would fit those descriptions. (Unless one of the other Cali teams is jumping ahead of LAFC)