American expansion possibilities

Discussion in 'NWSL Expansion' started by WPS_Movement, Dec 28, 2012.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    On a rare occasion something intelligent, coherent and real world can come from WWC, but mostly, I think most people just ignore.

kenntomasch repped this.
  2. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My birdie is telling me that Barca investment in an NWSL team is pretty much dead in the water.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Color me shocked. Flabbergasted. Absolutely gobsmacked, I tell you.

blissett and Airox repped this.
  4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sarcasm in this post is so thick, I got some in my eyes.

blissett, SiberianThunderT and Airox repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.empireofsoccer.com/report-carolina-railhawks-to-rebrand-announce-bid-for-mls-56054/

Along with his MLS ambitions, Malik also seems prepared to go public with his interest in bringing an NWSL team to the area after flirting with the possibility by meeting with NWSL leadership during the summer. No timeline or name for the potential women’s team are mentioned in the leaked release, but EoS reported in September that Malik had trademarked Carolina Courage, the name of a former women’s team that played at WakeMed in the WUSA.

6. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    They can lobby all they want, but until they get a MLS franchise, can they be considered a serious candidate.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't think not being an MLS city instantly makes you a non-candidate. There was talk from Indy a while ago as well as fan talk of Sac, both of which I think are MLS-level organizations that could easily run an NWSL team just as well as an actual MLS team could. I would take a gung-ho lower division organization over an wishy-washy or unorganized MLS organization any day.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Sure they can. They can't control whether or not MLS will let them in to the fraternity. But I think they are going to have to have MLS calibre infrstructure (I don't just mean a stadium, but all the backend stuff too) to compete with the MLS teams that are interested.

10. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    so it seems right the the two frontrunners are still Los Angeles & Salt Lake City. The longshots are Carolina, Sacramento, Indianapolis & St. Louis. Hopefully we get LA & Salt Lake for 2018 & then two more for 2020.

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Heck no.
    SLC has been mostly silent for ages, and the most recent thing we heard from them is that they're in no rush.
    Similarly, the last we heard any news about LAFC was that
    - - - - -
    With the exception of Carolina, all of these aren't even longshots any more.

Like LAFC, Sac never voiced immediate interest, just that it was a long term plan.
    Indy was basically dead months ago when their stadium deal fell through completely, and now NASL is in crisis, so don't expect any movement there.
    The STL group I mentioned earlier was
    and that's exactly how it's playing out, with the competing (original) MLS expansion group having recently been back in the news as ownership and detailed plans were revealed, along with news that the Foundry group was essentially being 100% ignored by MLS. So it's going nowhere.

If anything, the only real movement we've seen from anyone in the past two months has been the Railhawks/Courage group. So if we want to label anyone as a frontrunner right now, it'd be them. As for not-likely-now-but-likely-future candidates, that's where you'd put LAFC and SLC, probably along with FCD, SJ, and maybe Minny or Sac.

12. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I just hope that whoever the next expansion clubs are, they they get a longer run up than just months from when they are officially announced to when they begin play. So if they want a new team to begin play in 2018, then January 2017 should be the absolute latest to announce it, so they have at least 1 year to prepare for the draft.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    NWSL brass usually have a meeting in late Spring, I think that's probably a significant enough run-up time. Clearly December (HOU) and October (ORL) are too late, and I would say August probably is too, but if the team is in place by June or earlier, (maybe late April/early May to beat out the start of WPSL/UWS,) that seems like enough to me. It's not like there's an incredible amount of playing for scouting that the future-draftees will be doing from January through April any year.

14. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well I mean there's more to preparing for the college draft than just scouting college players. Hiring the coaching staff, possibly scouting WPSL/UWS, scouting the NWSL for the expansion draft (this is something I thought both Houston and Orlando did very poor at), and seeing what internationals they can acquire. Basically they need to be as set roster-wise going in to the college season so they know what they are looking for.

15. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Along with a name change, North Carolina FC (formerly Carolina Railhawks) announced today that they will pursue getting an NWSL team:

"Since taking over the team, Malik has advocated for a multi-team organization. To that effect, he also announced his desire to be awarded a first-division National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) team to the Triangle in the next three to six months."

They will also pursue an MLS franchise in the next 12-18 months. Full announcement: http://www.northcarolinafc.com/news...-carolina-fc-announcing-a-new-state-of-soccer

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, awarding a franchise in 3-6 months would mean 11-14 months of lead-up until they actually start play, (7-10 months of lead-up before the draft,) so that works IMO. As I said a few posts ago, they certainly seem to be the only team actively pushing for NWSL, so they're the frontrunner right now. If NWSL wants to expand two-at-a-time, I would say they have 5-8 months to encourage another group to actually step up.

17. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    They will have to get in line for a MLS franchise. There are several other candidates that have shown they are in a better position to get a franchise.

18. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I can see Paulsen actually using this to try and get other MLS clubs to commit for 2018, especially in the West.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Carolina D2 males team owner claims that he wants a NWSL, probably for 2018.

Calci0, MiLLeNNiuM and sitruc repped this.
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    With the local universities, other jobs and opportunities in the market and relatively low cost of living, it easily could be a good team overnight.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And WakeMed is the perfect size for NWSL

FawcettFan14 and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  22. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    #872 toad455, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    still hoping LA & Salt Lake come through. Would love to see:

2018: Salt Lake & Carolina
    2019: Los Angeles & Minnesota
    2020: Sacramento & Toronto

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on 2018.

A team I'd like to see, soon, is Vancouver. The Vancouver-Seattle-Portland link is really strong and it would make a great three-team rivalry.

I don't know about Sacramento -- not saying "yes" or "no," I just don't know. I'd really like to see a team in the Bay Area, in the Stanford/Santa Clara/San Jose area.

24. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Positive news out of North Carolina. There is professional WoSo history there with the WUSA Courage, a strong tradition of college soccer with UNC, Duke, WF, an educated populace in the Triangle region, and a tailor-made stadium in WakeMed.

Sort of disappointing to lose the RailHawks moniker (albeit a fictional animal) in favor of the generic NCFC, but the trend in American soccer is to mimic English club names, so...

The future MLS club announced plans to build a 24,000 seat stadium, no indication of where yet. Wonder if the NWSL team would use it, or continue using WakeMed. Personally I like smaller, fuller venues over large, emptier ones. The College Cup is always the best atmosphere, for example, when at WakeMed or College Station. This year, at Avaya Stadium, and FAU Stadium a few years back, it was echoey and sort of sad looking.

Assuming NWSL wants to expand in pairs, the other team needs to be Western, likely either LAFC or Salt Lake. LA makes sense because 2018 is when the men's team launches.

25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #875 Smallchief, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    I suspect that North Carolina's notorious LGBT "bathroom law" will be a roadblock to any professional teams wanting to locate in NC. Quite a few players will probably refuse to play in NC until that law is repealed.

Bruce Springsteen, the NBA all star game, the Women's college cup, and a host of other people and companies have cancelled events in NC because of the law.