American democracy health thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Mar 11, 2018.

1. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    It was a bit both sidesy for me (but I’ll assume for arguments sake that is because of my own bias)...but the overall point was good. When Trump loses the election...he’ll be will no longer be President at noon on Jan 19 2021. Not sure it really ends there at though.

dapip repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I will read that article! I have been wondering about that same question since Trump's election. It's clear that the GOP will only be increasing its attack on democracy, regardless of the 2020 elections.. If Trump wins, he and the party will take that as a mandate that his Presidency is indeed above the law, as he maintains, and that Democratic protests are immaterial. If Trump loses, the GOP's voters will be angry and embittered as never before. They will not consent.

dapip repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYT is reporting that Trump is looking into firing the IG who passed along the whistleblower report.

So he wants to fire him for doing nothing more, and nothing less, than his job.

dapip repped this.
  4. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Trump everybody in government's job is kissing his ass, nothing more and nothing less.

fatbastard, Auriaprottu and dapip repped this.
  5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that goes back as far as Sessions. He was the first Senator to jump on the Trump bandwagon when most other GOPers weren't taking him seriously. When he became his AG, Sessions was operating under the "old norms"--he didn't get the memo--and he rightfully recused himself from the Russia investigation. In normal times under a normal administration it would be the normal thing to do. He had been involved earlier, so he had a conflict of interest, which is somewhat normal. But nothing about this administration is "normal."

Trump simply could not fathom how these things work, and he genuinely believes that he is the king, and everyone--literally everyone--in government is there to serve him and only him, not the country, or this thing called the Constitution or whatever the hell those old guys in wigs and stockings came up with!

luftmensch and dapip repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Maybe Brummie is right, we need to disenfranchise republikans because they do it to us:

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Typical Trump contemptible. Doing so would flaunt the very purpose of whistleblower protection laws. Of course, he doesn't believe that the law should protect his perceived enemies.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    IMO

1. Sessions was highly involved in the quid pro quo re the GOP Ukraine platform

2. Sessions was not so stupid as to put himself in the frame - unlike Bill Barr

9. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As discussed before, the Reps do not have the votes to pass it.

There is talk about getting rid of voting for judges, but the result will be different than the wishful plan the GOP has.

Now in other States that have big Republican majorities, they may see this and get ahead and implement it before they lose power.

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I’d say that sounds like a 3/5 of a good deal:

https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...risoners-who-can-t-vote-fill-voting-districts

But if Alexander and his more than 1,200 fellow prisoners are still incarcerated at Waupun Correctional Institution next Census Day — April 1 — the Census Bureau will officially consider them residents of Waupun, Wis., for the 2020 national head count.

That's because, since the first U.S. census in 1790, the federal government has included incarcerated people in the population counts of where they're imprisoned. This technical detail of a little-known policy can have an outsized impact on prison towns across the U.S. for the next decade.

In many cases, rural, predominantly white towns see their population numbers boosted by population counts from prisons disproportionately made up of black and Latinx people.

In turn, states, which control how voting districts are drawn, and local governments can use those numbers to form districts filled predominantly with people who are locked behind bars and cannot vote in almost all states. Maine and Vermont are the exceptions.

Officials in some prison towns have come up with creative ways to avoid forming voting districts made up primarily of prisoners. But in many others, political lines are drawn around prisons in a way that critics deride as "prison gerrymandering."

fatbastard repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I am wrong, but non citizens who can not vote are also taken into account when creating voting districts, so this is part of all residents regardless of being able to (or even caring to vote) should be taken into account when creating districts. Non-tax paying Indians tended to be excluded in these things back in the day.

superdave repped this.
  13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can never be rich....SMH.

American Brummie, xtomx and luftmensch repped this.
  14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cross reference with the middle class blame thread.

charlie15 repped this.
  15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am guessing you also gave 0%. IIRC Warren Buffet is leaving his children next to nothing on his death and his fortune will go to charity. Maybe I am wrong and that was Jimmy Buffet.

Carnegie, Vanderbilt, Rockefeller all gave away most of their fortunes. The left can tax the wealthy 100% and they'll never cover the promises they are making.

16. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What ever would those poor billionaires do without the sucker apologist class there to speak for them?

fatbastard, ElNaranja, charlie15 and 2 others repped this.
  17. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    He's an Aspirational Billionaire like many Republicans

dapip repped this.
  18. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's just working hard and waiting for that lucky break!

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Still be rich?

20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I see "ignored content" is back with a vengeance.

Welcome to 2020, same as 2019.

luftmensch and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn’t seem to suck anymore.

Yet.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/modern-monetary-theory.2099894/

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    dapip repped this.
  23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I still thank God every day that Hillary is not our President.

24. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Yeah the country would be so much worse off under Hilary.

xtomx and dapip repped this.
  25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Other than our President is jerk I am pretty happy about what is going on. With Hillary we would still have a jerk in the White House but everything else would be going to shit.