Alumni News

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by The Cadaver, Feb 22, 2011.

1. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Any time I see the letters A and J next to each other, I still get pissed/sad.

http://www.thescore.com/mls/news/12...a-starting-a-new-chapter-a-long-way-from-home

1-on-1 with A.J. DeLaGarza: Starting a new chapter a long way from home
    by Armen Bedakian 5h ago

On the day of the MLS SuperDraft, college athletes sit anxiously awaiting their fates amid the chatter of coaches and general managers. It's a day that changed A.J. DeLaGarza's life twice: in 2009, when he was drafted by the LA Galaxy, and eight years later, when he was unexpectedly traded to the Houston Dynamo.

DeLaGarza took some time to speak with theScore about the next chapter of his career as he swaps California sun for Texas heat.

A new adventure, a new home
    Los Angeles is where DeLaGarza grew up, plying his trade throughout his twenties for Bruce Arena's LA Galaxy. He played alongside some of the biggest stars in MLS history - David Beckham, Landon Donovan, and Steven Gerrard among them - and won three MLS Cup titles in his eight-year tenure.

[​IMG]
    His departure via trade in January was neither expected nor conventional. It was among the first deals in the league whose terms were disclosed: It took $175,000 in general and targeted allocation money to pry DeLaGarza away. The news came as a surprise, and as a blow.

"I didn't know about the trade until it already happened," DeLaGarza told theScore by phone Tuesday. "I didn't know the logistics behind it and what was given for me.

"Seeing how much money the team gave up for you was a little disheartening. After you've been somewhere for so long (and) they say, 'OK, we're going to give you up for this amount of money' - (that) was crazy to see.

"If you want to put a price tag on me and it's a price that you're saying I'm worth or not worth, then ehh. From my standpoint, a lot of fans in LA were disappointed that they let me go for only $175,000.

"It's good for fans to see just how teams run things."

DeLaGarza wasn't alone, however. He had some company in former Galaxy teammate Leonardo, whom the Dynamo also signed in the offseason. Leonardo is now his roommate in Houston, and DeLaGarza explained that sharing the experience has "helped the process" for them both.

DeLaGarza likened the transition to when he and Omar Gonzalez first joined LA out of Maryland in 2009. There, the two began learning under Arena, but in Houston, DeLaGarza and Leonardo would take instructions from a new head coach - Wilmer Cabrera.

Under Cabrera's tutelage
    DeLaGarza's first impression of once-mighty Houston was that the side "felt like an expansion team" with so many new faces joining, himself included. Erick Torres, Romell Quioto, and Alberth Elis formed Cabrera's attacking ranks, and DeLaGarza was added into the backline alongside Leonardo.

[​IMG]
    Wins over Seattle, Columbus, and the Red Bulls turned heads off the top of the 2017 season, and DeLaGarza credits Cabrera for the team's rapid growth.

"We're not a team that's playing a 4-4-2, we're a team that is better in a 4-3-3 and those guys breaking out and going into the attack," he explained. "It starts with Wilmer and the tactics he implements."

DeLaGarza says working with a new coach has been beneficial for his own game, too, after spending his entire Galaxy tenure with Arena.

"For me personally, there's some new ideas, new tactics, even some new drills in practice are refreshing," he explained. "You get used to the same drills and voice from the coach after eight years, so for me it's refreshing to get different points of view now."

The positives of change
    A little more than 1,500 miles separates Los Angeles from Houston, and though the summer heat is a daunting prospect - and restaurants are a little sparser - DeLaGarza says he and his family have transitioned well to their new home.

Houston, as it turns out, has its perks.

"I have a bigger house, a nicer house, for a lot less money, so that makes me happy!" DeLaGarza said. "I'm living out in the suburbs so I have a yard. In LA, you have maybe 300, 400 square feet. Very tiny. Now I have room for my daughter to play."

As he adjusts to his new home, DeLaGarza has one eye on a June 17 return to the StubHub Center.

"If you get unknowingly traded from a place where you have history and you've been there for quite some time ... it's one of the first games you circle," DeLaGarza said. "But there's a lot of games in between there."

73Bruin, ragbone, TrickHog and 5 others repped this.
  2. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    AJ was never fairly compensated for what he was worth to us - based on what he brought to the Galaxy both on and off the field. Talk about cutting the heart out of a team.

3. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    He should have been our captain this year.

MPNumber9, 73Bruin, Geneva and 2 others repped this.
  4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Curt felt threatened by having a player who knew what he was supposed to be doing.

Esc-soccer, 73Bruin, rokstedy and 5 others repped this.
  5. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely think AJ was not one of "Curt's Guys" and that's why he was dumped in such a ridiculous and unprofessional manner. Possibly AJ had the audacity to suggest they consider hiring a qualified coach...

shelbo and 73Bruin repped this.
  6. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I've posted this before, but AJ has been critical of both the coaching staff, the lineup choices and the front office. Now, I agree with him, but I can believe that he became an easy choice to let go.

7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember any of that - except maybe for feeling that he should start when he didn't, which is a common reaction of players who don't start.

8. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Everything that he was critical of(coaching/FO) left the organization. The new boys probably feared that they'd catch hell with the shit they're pulling.

I remember he tweeted some not-so-positive things when Omar and Juni were transferred. I think this was the gif he tweeted after Juni's transfer.[​IMG]

shelbo, 73Bruin and Geneva repped this.
  9. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's coming back to me.

10. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I think he also tweeted his and Omar's joint record as CB starters and made other comments about Omar leaving.

L.A. Native repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wow, what a crazy guy AJ was. How dare he point out that he and Omar were incredibly effective when paired together or suggest that getting rid of Juninho was a bad decision. Good riddance - we don't need truth tellers in our organization - we need cool-aid drinkers.

12. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #87 WarGalaxy, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Geneva and FlapJack repped this.
  13. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet he doesn't.

14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    857445500580241414 is not a valid tweet id

Not a bad trophy case.

ShortyMac, LEM-LAG, ProudNatRN and 10 others repped this.
  15. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  17. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
  18. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cosmo

19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    If the injuries keep mounting I say dress him for the 18.

TrickHog repped this.
  20. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard he was moving from right sideline to central mid starting this week. Should be a major boost to creativity for our midfield!

TrickHog repped this.
  21. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Reading his twitter feed reminds me of how much I love this guy. You guys should check it out if you haven't already. He's such a stand up guy. Also interesting that there is still a big pic of him in his Galaxy uniform headlining his twitter home page (if that's what you call it).

MPNumber9 repped this.
  22. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    rokstedy, skydog, Dr.Phil and 3 others repped this.
  25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States