Altidore: Besiktas vs. Villarreal 8/8 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by schrutebuck, Aug 8, 2010.

1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Excellent work to get out of the middle of 3 defenders and get that pass off.

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    SWEET pass from Jozy to spring someone.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    definitely. Like I said before, Jozy has all the tools - he just has to put it together. A complete forward.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No, not really. I find a lot of the criticism of Altidore on the US Nat board to be a load of hogwash. I just like when someone says "he makes nice runs." Always sounds like one of those backhanded compliments like "he is very athletic."

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villareal you gotta be kidding that you dont think you could use this kid.....

he could be a focal point for their offense its so obvious.... i hope hes swaying opinions right now. He can further sway them wednesday.

6. genom

genom Member

May 27, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy played a very solid game, and didn't really do anything wrong. A good 8/10 for me. I've been saying it all along, why do people want him to get loaned out? He's capable for Copa Del Rey matches and would be the first striker off the bench. Stay!!

7. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he looked good after the first 5-10 minutes in there.

settled in well and worked well with others. Villareal looked pretty damn good to me. 2nd half especially. Lots of skill on that team.

8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Good short pass again into the box at the end there, though you can tell he's already exhausted, he was barely jogging out to get that ball haha.

Anyway, very good match from what I saw.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Considering how young the other strikers are, I'm thinking he'll be part of a platoon.

10. soonertony

soonertony Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He really needs a better first touch.

Really good performance by Jozy, though. Hope it's a confidence builder for him and for Villareal in him. Very encouraging.

11. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "first striker off the bench."

yeah personally if it comes down to being first striker of the bench in spain vs starting (maybe being a first striker off bench in turkey) I would prefer him in spain. Who knows what could happen. Someone gets injured and he's starting. Or how bout he just starts scoring goals? That could very well happen with all the tools assembled around him.

That cross was laid in right to altidore. He NEVER got anything like that at Hull. Not even out of bullard

12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Their manager has stated that if Jozy stays he will see minutes but that their financial needs take precedence.

13. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    funny that they would say that about Jozy. if anything, the weakest part of his game recently has been his positioning and his off the ball movement. His positioning was much better today than what I'm used to seeing from him. Very encouraging. His off the ball runs could still use some fine tuning (as in knowing when to go and where) but it was still much better than what the 19y/o Jozy would do. Seems like he'd developing just fine.

14. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Wasn't Bestikas (or one of the other Turkish clubs') offer something like $3 million? They have to want more than that, given his age and how much they paid for him.

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Agreed. At a top level club you have to create chances but you have teammates that will create chances for you as well.

For example, a striker like Wayne Rooney didn't score a single goal outside the 18 last season.

While a striker at a club facing relegation like Jozy Altidore might not have more than 5-10 good opportunities in the 18 the entire season.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THIS.....sweet jesus this!!!

thats true they are in a bind i keep forgetting that for some reason. I keep thinking its Valencia, but its both of them. both start with V's lol. I want him to stay right here, so tragic that a team that fits him so well may have to sell him due to financial constraints. I guess im hoping there are no buyers actually

17. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504890&page=4

18. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy with a nice penalty to the upper right corner to make it 4-5. Villareal win 6-5.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    WTF!?!? My stream turned off so I assumed there were no PKs.

20. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Never intended for it to be that way. He really did make some good diagonal runs. Whether they amounted to something or not means nothing it still gave the Besiktas defenders something to consider. Once he gets more comfortable and accustomed to his teammates he should be alright.

21. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Congrats to Jozy on the goal (+ 1 PK on shoot out) and his performance should boast his transfer chance/value w/an EPL club or Besiktas, if he doesn't end up @ Villarreal for 10/11 season.

22. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy looks so much better in #12 than he did in #24. Very Henry-like.

23. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    WTFFFFFFFF.

My stream was gone.

24. dukedevil0

dukedevil0 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    anyone have a link to Jozy's shootout PK?

25. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit...dammit...dammit...I knew he'd play if I left...scoring a goal is just rubbing it in!

Sounds like a really good job by Jozy...I hope this increases the chance that VCF keeps him. Hopefully I can find some highlights...