Allienz Frauen-Bundesliga 2017-18(Winters coming)

Discussion in 'Germany Mädels: NT and Frauen-Bundesliga' started by hotjam2, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It would still be a lot better if the German league had two strong representatives in this competition again; with this scenario of a strong German league at it's peak, once allowing the Bundesliga to hold 3 teams that could win the UCL any season.

I mean, if new UCL team budgets have increased beyond the scope of a Potsdam, Freiburg, Frankfurt, ever being credible contenders within this competition, it's not a good sign having a prominent side like Bayern remain so consistently weak in it's own team development.

Pajor, Hansen, Fischer, Harder, Dickenmann, Wullaert, are all high quality international talents that make it hard for rivals to compete domestically, but there's little excuse why the league can't have another strong UCL representative while Wolfsburg continue to use a maximum of 3 German internationals in their team on a regular basis.

2. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yes, it would've been fine if there were a couple of more Germans playing a bigger part of Wolfsburg... I mean, you have Gössling, Popp, Schult, Peter and Blässe as regulars but we all know who's not a vital part of the squad and are easily replaced when time comes... :whistling:

I genuinely believe Gössling had a strong performance yesterday, a better one than Fischer, but I genuinely also think she should partner Gunnarsdottir instead so Popp could player a bit higher at the pitch...

And where's Wensing these days...? :cautious:

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't understand the Goeßling situation either... but looking at Popp's progress I'm beginning to think her time to develop into a world class forward probably coming to an end?

Looking at the Wolfsburg attack vs Chelsea, it seems like Dickenmann - Harder - Hansen, all playing behind Pajor worked perfectly...? But with Wolfsburg previously having seen the success of the Goeßling - Keßler CM partnership, like you, I'd still be a little suspect about the Gunnarsdottir - Popp CM short term solution.

I mean I'd prefer to see Popp play high up the field too, but like Marozsan being pushed back into deeper roles in recent years, it makes you wonder if neither player feel themselves legitimate forwards/finishers anymore...?

4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

you could add where the heck's Wedemeyer?, After all didn't she make it to the NT squad? Yet never seems to be playing for WOB.

Totally agree too; it's like Popp is the busted flush up front with 5 of the 6 mid/fwds being foreigners. Then what's with an average Maritz(Swiss) over Kerchowski(who started for Jones several times)

The I can understand the prestige of the Champions League. But where's the huge interest in it? The crowds weren't big at both of the English venues last Sunday, The forums(like this one & my facebook ones( weren't really busy with posts). The last few finals games didn't even make it to the 5 figures(as compared to the final held in Frankfurt maybe 6 years ago that drew 60K). Guess UEFA must give the winners a tidy sum to make it so worth

5. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who knows... she's been fit enough to receive some first team match time this season, even scoring a goal on one such occasion too; but I'm beginning to wonder if her ankle injury a potential career finisher now, as this better explains the recent signing of Doorsoun as another CB option.

They don't seem interested in using Wedemeyer, but they'll still have her contesting a CB place alongside Peter, Wensing, and Doorsoun next season. So somebody has to be leaving, no?

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #406 Batfink, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    I think Maritz will either be replaced by a new signing (Simon..:cautious:), or see young U-19 German international LB Wittje start to contest her starting place come next season.
    I think UEFA's stupid policy of always attaching high costs towards potential TV stations wanting to cover matches, doesn't help factors in helping promoting the WUCL towards potential new audiences.

But lets be real here... it's also like you asking the equivalent of why can't female NFL teams get more coverage and people in stadiums during the men's NFL playoff's...

Million's and even billion's of Euro's are currently being contested in men's European football right now. So yeah... for a sport that already struggles to draw large crowds, it might be a little be difficult to expect the WUCL semi final stage to generate major interest.

7. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    In fact, Popp’s working best alone up front as a lone forward. But she could be an option as well playing CM for the NT, considering that she’s good at it for Wolfsburg and brings much needed athleticism then. Also when did Popp start to take Wolfsburg’s free kicks with Gössling...?

A shame if Wensing turns into another Henning... why does it have to always be Germany’s best players injuring themselves...?

Peter’s done, literally everything suggests that she won’t see a minute more for the NT and that she’s soon over and out for Wolfsburg. I don’t know how long Fischer’s staying in Wolfsburg...?

8. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm pretty sure she knows her best position is playing as a lone forward, but once Popp joined Wolfsburg her development as a lone forward instantly stopped, and has currently managed to regress to a state she's bsicaly a few matches from being a dedicated DM lol.

Being able to play in any position and still be a good player, isn't the same as her playing in one position and potentially being truly great; and for all of the minutes she's played CM for Wolfsburg this season, I haven't seen or heard anything about Popp transitioning to her new CM role, like Fischer did changing from a decent CM, to become a great CB.

I mean if Popp dedicated herself to really learning the CM role, I'm pretty sure she could be a strong long term option for club and country. But the way her career has progressed at Wolfsburg, it should be noted at any moment Popp could find herself being used in another defensive or attacking role, so...

9. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think Wensing's injury was a really unfortunate case of bad luck though. Not the usual knee or muscle injury that's plagued the entire wnt program; with this recently evidenced by Seims becoming the latest top prospect to suffer a non contact based injury, likely to keep her away from the sport for a extended period of time.

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LOL, with the way things have unfolded in her absence, I really want to believe your narrative of both club and country finally seeking to upgrade beyond the weird insistence of playing Peter... but until I see it, I can't 100% agree with you just yet.

Wolfsburg's recent announcement of recruiting Doorsoun definitely suggests they're planning for life without one, or even two of it's current CB options. But between all the likely options to be non factors next season, I actually think it's looking like Wensing who's become the name that sticks out more than Peter right now.

I mean since her return, Wensing hasn't remained a regular part of their first team squad. But the moment Peter's back to full fitness, even if it's from the bench I can't imagine the same scenario of her not being a regular part of Wolfsburg's weekly match day squads.

11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    with 6 goals, Popp is the 2nd leading on the team. but yeah if it wasn't for Harder being the usual lone striker, I'm sure if Popp was up there, she be scoring more(especial since WOB's main attacks are from the wings, so Harder benefits so much from well placed crosses)

in the Chelsea game, both Popp & Harder were assigned outside mids, with Gunnardorttir as CM, Pajor as central striker(see chart below)/
    https://us.women.soccerway.com/matc...ons-league/chelsea-lfc/vfl-wolfsburg/2691104/

perhaps this player configuration was mean't to be a more counter attacking squad or just confuse their opponent, but it worked! Still, the CL has been very predictable, especially with Lyon, who plays a very conservative/non adventures style soccer despite having just about every position covered with FIFA's top ten player list.

12. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can somebody please explain to me why, or how, Ella McLeod found her way into Wolfsburg's squad... oh, and somehow manages to find playing time ahead of Norway international Minde...?

Looking at the various players a club with Wolfsburg's budget can afford, and knowing they also have one of the best young forwards in Germany within their second team, I find it really disappointing to see McLeod become the teams regular back forward.

See, Pajor's really young, but a significantly better player than McLeod. So why are Wolfsburg using McLeod as their second choice forward, in a league competition they have easy access to all the nations top domestic talent, and the kind of budget to take on serious international potentials like a Kumi Yokoyama as short term projects.

13. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm thinking Popp actually performs better with Pajor in the team, and that's why she's been moved into a CM role so Harder can better fit into their sides various systems of play.
    Hmmm, they don't normally play in a 4-3-3, but it's interesting to see Popp used as a key part of the central mid-field three, as it's a formation I'd prefer the national team to use in a quicker proccess to find a more cohesive balance.

The fact a supposed DM Gunnardorttir scored a header inside the opponents box during open play, doesn't make believe it was a traditional 4-3-3 used by Wolfsburg in this match lol; but it's weird seeing this team, and Bayern, going through so many positive and negative formation changes during the course of a season.

14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I actually think it would be nice to see another Lyon vs Wolfsburg final, as this time it won't have Kellermann putting 10 Wolfsburg players behind the ball for 80 mins again lol.

I can't speak on Lyon's style of play this season, but to see Wolfsburg face a strong Lyon side and potentially use Dickenmann - Pajor - Hansen - Popp - Harder - Gunnardorttir - Fischer - Goeßlining all in the same team would be unthinkable with Kellermann running the show.

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    in another highlights from last weekend , Essen vs Duiseburg. Linda Dallmann proved once again why she might be this year's league MVP with another grand performance of 1 goal & 2 assists. Essen's Klassen got a red card, but they still held on to win

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    while playing for Rosengaard, she did out goal score the likes of Marta, Marten, Mittag, & Schelin. it could of been that she steadied/or played more minutes for that club than the others.

At the other hand, she barely played for the USWNT & was considered a trouble maker in terms that she accused the owner of a former pro club called the Magic Jack of inappropriate behavior/which ruined that guy's career) That was a decade ago though.(don't know the full story/ Ella can't compete in what remains of this year's CL, as she played

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #417 blissett, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Sorry? o_Oo_Oo_O I hope this is one of the examples of your mostly undetectable sarcasm, because if you're serious in standing by Dan Borislow's side...

If even half, or a quarter of what I read about him it's true, the real trouble-maker in this story was him! He's not the poor guy who had his career ruined that you are depicting, but one of the more shady and morally despicable individuals women's soccer have ever seen. His ill-fated choices led to WPS folding and I hope after that no-one have let him be closer than a several miles distance to any women's football team. :devilish:

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

but i did say "I don't know the full story" You need then to watch Bundesliga games; in her first one(vs Hoffenheim), after getting fouled, she immededialey raced over & got into the girls face(which I feel was un called for)

19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You could start by reading this. Ok, it's her point of view, but most of what she accused him of was later confirmed.

I don't care about what Masar/MacLeod did on Bundesliga pitches: it can't anyway possibly be worse of what a guy that was supposed to be in charge of a women's team did.

20. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So avoiding the other non footballing issues I know very little about, are you saying she's actually a good player then...? Because to me she looks nothing but very average compared to the other forwards in the leagues top 6-7 teams.

I mean comparing her to names like Marta, Mittag, Schelin, seems rather ridiculous to me if we're using all the evidence of ever seen of her; and it's because of this I'm struggling to believe she's the best option for a club with Wolfsburg's financial budget too.

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hmmmm... She' hasn't produced a single stand out performance vs one of the top 4 all season, but Dallmann is supposedly one of your legitimate contenders for league MVP...
    [​IMG]

22. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh, and in other news, after letting future national team prospect Lena Petermann leave for close rivals Potsdam, Freiburg showcase even more of their astute recruitment policy, announcing the signing of impressive U-20 international forward Stefanie Sanders.

This is some really intelligent foresight from Freiburg..
    [​IMG]

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it's not her fault that the team has one of the weakest back-4 lines in the league, I'm willing to best that she leads the league by far in assists. if anybody knows a website that keeps that stat, them please post
    like I've suggested, due to her rep, I wouldn't of touched her with a ten foot poll! hence it don't really matter how good or bad she plays. it's you Euros that seem to like her(that's why she's over there & not in the US(where she couldn't even make the NT as well all the trouble she caused)

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I repeat: saying that she caused trouble is like taking the fable of the wolf and the lamb, if you know what I am talking about, and claiming that that darn lamb was really a big trouble-maker, because he kept muddling the wolf's water.

You can say that Masar/MacLeod is an awful player (I didn't see her play enough to judge, so I won't question) or you can say that she's ill-tempered on the pitch (and again you could be right: I don't know enough about the subject, but I believe you), but when you say she was a trouble-maker because of the MagicJack affair, you're simply falsifying the facts and you have no right to do that.

And it's not a question of "loving" MacLeod or not. Frankly, I don't give a damn about her. I love the truth, that's it!

25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    but the link shows you kinda why she's considered a trouble maker, or at least a tattle-tale. To be sure, the poorly developed WPS league, let someone as unscrupulous like Borislow take charge of his team(I think he was owner, manager & part time coach) with almost zero experience, just because he came in with what looked like a boat lead of money. He was a successful business man in other ventures though. For seeing that the team as well as the league was loosing money, took drastic cost cutting measures. But finally the team players had enough and filed grievance with the league board of directors, which they won & got Borislow suspended(though he took the league to court & won, so two sides to every story?).
    But now, the main thing is that the other players kept their grievance quiet, whereas Ella came out in public, thus giving the league negative press at the time it badly needed investors to keep it a float, Several months after Ella's public outcry, the WPS bellied up anyways, which probably was a good thing as finally the more staple or at least partly USSF,funded(i lieu of unscrupulous) NWSL over.

If you look at what she's complaining about; the worst seems to be that Borsilow didn't want her to see a doctor(possibly cause he was a cheapskate) here's where she needed to take her case to the WPS, who should of had it's players fully insured(in case her own team can't) this is the only way a pro league can get a license in the US(it's got to insure everybody) but at her own admittance, she kept going/taking Borsilow advice not to pursue the matter

Now read her article carefully, she somewhat admits that she wasn't part of the successful players grievance. rather she keeps whining about not getting playing time. WOW how many times have we heard this before? In Germany alone I can sight , Low's fav fwds(for his NT) Gomez & Klose, sitting side by side on the Bayern Munich bench a few years back before asking to be traded. Or how about Neid & Jones darling, Mittag, sitting on WOB's bench for a season?

So in retrospect, you could say(if looking from both sides)
    A) she destroyed a league & thus possible careers of both good & bad(by her tattle telling)
    B) she saved pro soccer in America(with the NWSL coming out of the ashes of the WPS)

now please blissett, let's get back to the on thread subject of the Bundesliga!