Allez Alé - Bedoya at Nantes

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sandon Mibut, Aug 7, 2013.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So cringeworthy that he brought that to French shores.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Bedoya, the Jerry Lewis of soccer.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    But it's contagious, so they started to believe they would win.

Which is why he's in their Team of the Decade.

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I will say this, all kidding (or most kidding) aside: to my eye Bedoya consistently over-achieved a little bit relative to raw talent. Maybe it's cause he does, indeed, believe.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gotta say i agree. From college to Sweden to the NT to France to a million dollar a year payday in MLS.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His old club in Sweden wants him back:

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1407 The Irish Rover, Jul 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    He's team captain and has started (and gone 90') in 19 out 20 league games for a table-topping team. Apart from his wife being Swedish, why would he want to go to a bottom-of the-table side in Sweden?

The salaries are no longer higher there than in MLS, in fact they're generally lower, and Bedoya is on north of $1 million a year ($1.3-1.4 million is often mentioned). His contract seems to be up in December, and at 35 the Union are unlikely to offer more than a 1-year extension, but unless Helsingborg are offering a 2-year deal, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And even if they do offer that, wouldn't a better AllsSvenskan side make an equivalent offer?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #1408 The Irish Rover, Jul 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Per that tweet, Helsingborg have had one offer rejected already so the Union are not ready to part with him in mid-season, not when they're in the Conference Title chase. They might do it if they get enough money to pay at least 1/4-1/3 of the transfer fee paid for his replacement on a 3-year or 4-year deal. But if you add agent's fees and any signing-on fees to that, the numbers look extremely implausible.

On top of that, the tweet talks about Swedish newspapers reporting this but I haven't seen anything off-Twitter in English about it. Ale was there for 12 months (two half-seasons) that were a very successful period for Helsingborg (Cl qualifiers, EL group stage, made the Swedish Cup final) but right now, they're rock bottom and have just sacked their coach.

The FO is undoubtedly under enormous pressure and IMO they probably thought that, with his contract about to expire, floating the idea of trying to bring back someone from the glory days only to be rebuffed in the local press and websites would placate the fans in a "see: we're trying! Really!" kind of way.

9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point, Philly is gonna have to make room for McGlynn. But Bedoya has been such a great captain for Philadelphia, yeah, I don’t see this making sense

The Irish Rover repped this.