All-Time XI voting thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PDG1978, Oct 14, 2019.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks poet.

Just for vote counting purposes, which out of Di Stefano and Cruyff would you say you are putting in as the number 8 and which number 10 (since I was specifying them not based on right/left but on which was more box to box and which the more attacking - I can see you basically picked them in similar/identical roles but I guess it helps to clarify in case the standings become unclear regarding who makes the consensus XI at #8 or #10 at any point)?

Not an attempt to seek inclusion for him in your team, and Puck will obviously be well aware of this more than most people, but on Van Basten again I would add that I do actually think he was a player who could be like you say in the quote below:
    "highly athletic, with major focus on pace, and they must be all-rounder attackers who can dribble, create chances, and score goals"

And maybe I even think you are downplaying Pele with that 'hybrid' comment haha - I might even see him more as a Zico/Van Basten hybrid in some ways (obviously despite his leap, he was not nearly as tall as Van Basten though for example), or close to it!

Your vote seems to have further cemented some players places in the early running for Big Soccer consensus XI anyway: Buffon, Figueroa, Alves....plus brought Rijkaard in maybe (I'll have to see when I count up as I know both him and Beckenbauer have votes for CB and CM positions, and I think Beckenbauer is in currently so it could be a case of Rijkaard vs Baresi, with Rijkaard I think having more overall votes at least now).

2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would say Cruyff is the 10 and ADS is the 8. I think Cruyff was better on the ball, while ADS is better at making runs into the box.
    Yes, Basten could fit that description, particularly his Ajax version when he was actually quite fast, but I couldn't leave out Pele, could I? :D
    My hybrid comment was not a commentary on his ability, as certainly he is better than Suarez/Firmino. It was a commentary on his role. There are a number of solo no.9s doing very well in the modern era. Suarez, Firmino, Lewandowski, Augero, and even Kane all come to mind. I just think the role that would best fit Pele would be a hybrid of Suarez/Firmino as the former is quite dynamic but also obviously the team's main scoring threat, while Firmino is highly mobile and plays almost 2nd fiddle to Salah and Mane.

Pele can provide the kind of support that Firmino can, to bring out the best in the talents around him, but he is still the team's main goal-scorer.

PDG1978 repped this.
  3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks mate for the clarification(s).

I should probably check on Beckenbauer and Figueroa too for #5 and #6. While I'm doing that I can clarify myself a bit further on 'covering defender' (I was thinking like Scirea for Italy/Juve), 'marker' (I was thinking like his centre-back partner such as Collovati who would be allowing Scirea to sweep up behind), 'supporting defender' (I was thinking like Bobby Moore in World Cup 1966 - he was still acting a bit like a wing-half so supported the main centre-back(centre-half) and also came out with the ball, but didn't really act as a sweeper) and 'stopper' (Jack Charlton, alongside/behind Moore in that team for example). Obviously I used a combination of 'covering defender' and 'supporting defender' myself really (unless we say Baresi would be used more in 'stopper' guise) and I can see you've gone again with very much a partnership. I guess it depends on whether you'd envisage Beckenbauer generally hanging behind Figueroa, or playing the Bobby Moore-esque supporting role with Figueroa the main last man in defence. Beckenbauer would be #5 for 'covering/sweeping' and #6 for 'supporting'. If you don't mind either way I might go with #6 based on what you've said, but let me know if you'd say otherwise. Again it's just in case it helps with counting votes although I'd try to consider overall votes as a CB I guess too, especially in teams without a clear sweeper/marker distinction (at least to help with tie-breakers if necessary)!

Gregoriak repped this.
  4. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    1 - Gianluigi Buffon
    2 - Carlos Alberto
    3 - Giacinto Facchetti
    4 - Gaetano Scirea
    5 - Frank Rijkaard
    6 - Elias Figueroa
    7 - Lionel Messi
    8 - Xavi Hernandez
    9 - Johann Cruyff
    10 - Pele
    11 - Diego Maradona

-------------------Cruyff
    ---Maradona-Pele-Messi
    ---------Rijkaard--Xavi
    Facchetti-Scirea-Figueroa-Cafu
    -------------------Buffon

La-Máquina, Gregoriak and PDG1978 repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks Ed!

Carlos Alberto becomes the latest player to receive his first vote now then. I think you have Scirea as the 'covering' defender there do you if you have to make my distinction (referring to post 1 and also my post to poetgooner above)? You've numbered Rijkaard with the South American number 5 I see haha (for his midfield role) but I know that clearly according to my opening post he'd fit the number 4 role, so it's probably just a switch between him and Scirea necessary I think.

6. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Haha yes, sorry about that. I knew I had something confused.

PDG1978 repped this.
  7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No problem - I wasn't 100% sure you weren't numbering them according to how you'd hand out the shirts, but I'll just count Scirea as a number 5 then.

I should possibly have said 'South American or Hungarian number 5' anyway since Bozsik at least used to wear that number and play in midfield of course, but I think that was specific to the era and probably hasn't carried on as a Hungarian tradition the same way! I seem to remember some Liverpool central midfielders doing it in the 80s (Nigel Spackman, Ronnie Whelan when he played that role?) but that was just more a case of them being a team that started to be a bit random and quirky with numbers even lining up in a 4-4-2 (Dalglish wearing number 7 for example, and later Barnes wore 10 and played left wing I think didn't he....)!

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    To finish with comments on the remaining players (those are the same as @PDG1978 ):

Show Spoiler
    - Pele is for me still the best ever, relative to his own time. No one is perfect, circumstances and luck are important (other players in history were more like 'creating the circumstances'), but with a gun on my head I'd still pick him.

- Platini is one of the most effective players in history. He ticks all the boxes of effectiveness. From a through-ball machine, many goals against elite sides, and yes also having a demonstrable (upward) influence on his teams. He did this for less-than-great teams too. If I have to make an effectiveness and efficiency all-time XI then he is an even stronger pick. Often 'efficiency' is purely seen in the sense of running and physical supremacy, but here it's also efficiency in technique. Platini was a highly efficient shooter, efficient passer. The last decade is a pity but that doesn't take away my admiration for the player.

- Beckenbauer is the best 'defender' - the best footballer overall (shooting as main weakness) - but also the most unusual defender of all legends. The number of shots and dribble attempts show this, while from time to time conceding quite a few goals (euro 1976, various league seasons). In the end the pros outweighed the cons by a margin but it's not the most suitable style for league football (this also applies to Redondo - greater player for short tournaments than medium and long competitions). As a pure defender with a more regular league record then Baresi and others are 'better' yes but none of them are as good footballers and he's statistically also among the most influential defenders anyway (in that group of Santamaria et al.).

PDG1978 repped this.
  9. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    This information comes from a survey conducted by "El Nacional" of Venezuela in 1974.

upload_2019-10-16_17-31-47.png upload_2019-10-16_17-31-47.png

10. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Not sure if I could change them @PDG1978, but I was reviewing my own notes and based on their dimensions for their own ages I think I should place Andrade instead of Djalma Santos for the right-back position, finally.

01 - BUFFON, Gianluigi
    02 - ANDRADE, José Leandro
    03 - MALDINI, Paolo
    04 - BECKENBAUER, Franz
    05 - FIGUEROA, Elías
    06 - BARESI, Frank
    07 - MESSI, Lionel
    08 - DI STÉFANO, Alfredo
    09 - CRUYFF, Johan
    10 - PELÉ
    11 - MARADONA, Diego

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, sure, no problem.

12. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    It means that for you Neuer is already the best German goalkeeper ever, right?

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #38 PuckVanHeel, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Interesting this is before the World Cup took place.

Cruijff is the only one of a smaller country - three to four times smaller as the next included country - to be mentioned here :thumbsup: losing it out against Pele for the first XI but in the 2nd XI by that point. The only one to break the 'cartel'.

This matches well with the Sports Illustrated article from the very same month:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/du...ation-1979-1994.1978389/page-17#post-37550709

14. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    ---------------------Messi
    ----------Cruyff-Pele-Garrincha
    ----------Beckenbauer--Falcao
    N.Santos-Baresi-Figueroa-D.Santos
    --------------------Yashin

PDG1978 repped this.
  15. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    For a long time Andrade was a difficult player to classify for me in a modern role, but I finally would be quite comfortable with defining him as a modern type of hybrid among 60% of wing-back and 40% of box-to-box midfielder.

I think he played mainly in right blue and white triangular areas:

[​IMG]

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks mate. I think that is the 10th vote, so I might do a count-up within the next hour now.

I'll put Baresi down as #5 (covering defender) unless you make it known you saw Figueroa in that role in their partnership.

Tropeiro repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Current First XI and Reserve XI (copying the 1974 results from Venezuela in that respect, but not going with a 2nd Beckenbauer)

First XI:
    #1 Buffon (5 votes)
    #2 Alves (4 votes)
    #3 Maldini (8 votes)
    #4 Beckenbauer (5 votes)
    #5 Baresi (4 votes; 6 overall as CB)
    #6 Figueroa (3 votes; 5 overall as CB)
    #7 Messi (6 votes)
    #8 Platini (3 votes)
    #9 Cruyff (3 votes)
    #10 Pele (5 votes)
    #11 Maradona (5 votes)

Second XI:
    #1 Yashin (3 votes)
    #2 Krol (2 votes)
    #3 Facchetti or Nilton Santos (1 vote each)
    #4 Rijkaard (3 votes)
    #5 Scirea (2 votes)
    #6 Moore (1 vote)
    #7 Garrincha (1 vote)
    #8 Xavi (2 votes)
    #9 Van Basten (2 votes)
    #10 Di Stefano (0 votes, but 2 as #8 and 1 as #9)
    #11 C.Ronaldo (1 vote)

Top voted overall so far:
    1 - Cruyff (10 votes)
    2= Messi, Pele (9 votes each)
    3= Beckenbauer, Maldini (8 votes each)

Gregoriak and Perú FC repped this.
  18. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I remember in 2010 this was a similar project in which I got involved with very similar results in the same formation idea (with the exception of Yashin and Puskás instead of Buffon and Messi for obvious reasons, 9 and a half years ago).

YASHIN

FIGUEROA ----------- BARESI -

ANDRADE ------------- BECKENBAUER ------------- MALDINI -

DI STÉFANO ------------ PELÉ ---

MARADONA --------------- PUSKÁS ---------------- CRUYFF ---

BUFFON

FIGUEROA ----------- BARESI -

ANDRADE ------------- BECKENBAUER ------------- MALDINI -

DI STÉFANO ------------ PELÉ ---

---- MESSI ------------------ CRUYFF -------------- MARADONA
    Obviously there was and is a bigger intention to include the greatest players (in a personal idea) than to put together the best functional system (especially without a specific rival).

Always on that same system I would have many players in mind for different tactical presentations and according to different points of view. I would shorten it as much as possible in this way (considering them only in one position):

Goalkeeper

BUFFON, Gianluigi
    ZAMORA, Ricardo
    YASHIN, Lev

Right Centre-Back

FIGUEROA, Elías
    NASAZZI, José
    DOMINGOS da Guia
    SCIREA, Gaetano
    NESTA, Alessandro

Left Centre-Back

BARESI, Franco
    MOORE, Bobby
    KROL, Ruud
    PASSARELLA, Daniel

Right Side-Back

ANDRADE, José Leandro (Adapted)
    DJALMA SANTOS
    CARLOS ALBERTO
    VOGTS, Berti
    THURAM, Lilian
    DANI ALVES

Left Side-Back

MALDINI, Paolo
    NÍLTON SANTOS
    FACCHETTI, Giacinto
    JÚNIOR
    ROBERTO CARLOS

Libero/Anchor Midfielder

BECKENBAUER, Franz
    PESEK, Karel
    MONTI, Luis
    RIJKAARD, Frank

Right Inside-Midfielder/Forward

DI STÉFANO, Alfredo (Adapted)
    SCARONE, Héctor
    MEAZZA, Giuseppe
    MORENO, José Manuel
    ZIZINHO
    BOZSIK, József
    DIDI
    KOPA, Raymond
    EUSÉBIO
    FALCÃO, Paulo Roberto
    PLATINI, Michel
    GULLIT, Ruud
    MATTHÄUS, Lothar
    XAVI

Left Inside-Midfielder/Forward

PELÉ
    JAMES, Alex
    SASTRE, Antonio
    PEDERNERA, Adolfo
    SCHIAFFINO, Juan Alberto
    PUSKÁS, Ferenc
    SUÁREZ, Luis
    CHARLTON, Bobby
    RIVERA, Gianni
    RIVELLINO, Roberto
    ZICO
    LAUDRUP, Michael
    BAGGIO, Roberto
    ZIDANE, Zinedine
    INIESTA, Andrés

Right Side-Midfielder/Forward

MESSI, Lionel
    MATTHEWS, Stanley
    GARRINCHA

Centre-Forward

CRUYFF, Johan
    SINDELAR, Matthias
    SÁROSI, György
    MÜLLER, Gerd
    VAN BASTEN, Marco
    ROMÁRIO
    RONALDO
    HENRY, Thierry

Left Side-Midfielder/Forward

MARADONA, Diego (Adapted)
    BEST, George
    RONALDINHO
    CRISTIANO RONALDO

Gregoriak and PDG1978 repped this.
  19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is a very bad list, as usual. E.g. the individualistic Baggio is under no circumstance or whatever system an option for an all-time XI, it doesn't make sense, and then there is also the classic ploy to classify Cruijff as center forward while a Zico is midfielder.

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I don't have it clear in my mind what my choice would have been in 2010, though it's possible I posted a team on here that year...and possible I changed it the same year!

I think now is about as settled as I've been on the choice I'd make, as it's always a tricky question with many options, so I guess that's partly why I thought this thread could be a good idea.

I would have more options if I picked a different system (as you allude to for yourself - it would be different picking Bozsik as inside right midfield/forward compared to Eusebio for example of course...but on the other hand categorising Bozsik as DM and Eusebio as striker as I did in the guidelist attempt isn't definitively correct or the only option, or fully representative of their normal roles perhaps - I ended up with mostly quite attacking #8s in the guidelist but given the options for #10 maybe that was always likely), but for a Christmas Tree maybe I only consider these closely for the first XI myself currently:
    #1 Yashin, Schmeichel, Banks
    #2 Cafu, Carlos Alberto
    #3 Maldini
    #4 Beckenbauer, Neeskens, Rijkaard
    #5 Baresi
    #6 Moore, Beckenbauer
    #7 Pele, Messi, Best
    #8 Platini, Di Stefano, Charlton
    #9 Van Basten, Pele
    #10 Cruyff, Maradona, Zidane, M.Laudrup
    #11 Maradona, Pele, Best, Cruyff

I don't say at all that others aren't valid or feasible choices, even in a 4-3-2-1, but those are the ones vaguely in my mind. Some are a stretch in terms of really considering (Laudrup who I put as #11 in the guidelist anyway would be a stretch for #10 or #11 to be fair, Charlton I'd be unlikely to be picking ultimately I think too, and probably Zidane also). In the Christmas Tree I felt Cruyff deeper than Maradona would be the choice, but tweeking slightly to allow #10 more freedom maybe I'd consider swapping them for example, with Cruyff as supporting forward from left of centre.

Perú FC and Gregoriak repped this.
  21. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Regarding Liverpool's rather odd numbering in the 70s/80s (#5 shirt for midfielders, #11 for a central midfielder like Souness) I did a research because it was quite unusual for English teams to stray away from the established numbering in those years.

The seed of Liverpool's odd numbering came in 1973-74. In that season, Larry Lloyd wore #5 and Emlyn Hughes #6 (the two central defenders wearing the traditional shirt numbers associated with the positions). Young Phil Thompson, a good man on the ball, started out as a midfielder and thus wore #4. In February 1974, Larry Lloyd got injured and played his last game. Bill Shankly moved Phil Thompson back into defense. But instead of giving Thompson Lloyd's #5, he gave it to midfielder Peter Cormack (who had been wearing #8 most of the season). Maybe Thompson was superstitious and wanted to keep his number 4 we'll never know. Cormack carried the unusual #5 over to the next season (though sometimes also got back to #8 when Phil Boersma was playing, who was then wearing #5, also a midfielder).

Cormack stuck to #5 in the following season 1975-76 as well, but he didn't play that many games anymore. When Cormack left Liverpool for good, the #5 shirt was given to Ray Kennedy, who until then - "correctly" - had mostly worn #10. But the #10 was in turn given to new signing John Toshack. #11 was Ian Callahan's number. This tradition of a midfielder wearing the #5 shirt carried over to the 1980s and probably beyond.

Graeme Souness was famous for wearing the #11 shirt during his Liverpool days (but not for Scotland!). Definitely not the "right" number for a central midfielder like him. Souness always had #4 as his shirt when playing for Middlesbrough before joining Liverpool in 1978. But at Liverpool, the #4 had been Phil Thompson's number since 1973. Thus Souness was given the #10 shirt when he arrived at Liverpool (which should have been Ray Kennedy's number in a traditional British numbering). #10 in 1977-78 was mostly shared between David Fairclough and Terry McDermott in that season. When Ian Callahan left Liverpool during the 1978 season they gave Souness the #11 and McDermott got back to #10.

And that's how it stayed for many years!

PDG1978 repped this.
  22. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    To me, yes.

23. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be fair, I don't think there's any real malice in this particular classification. Most people are aware that they performed similar role. However, in this particular context, Cruyff can compete for both no.10 and no.9 role because he is perfectly capable of playing as a false 9 (I know I considered him for that role) while there's nowhere else for Zico.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  24. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Can't you just refrain from making dismissive comments like that? "Very bad list, as usual". I find it irritating to see a poster constantly picking on another poster like you do with Peru all of the time. It's perfectly fine to argue your point as you usually do but it is unnecessary to do it in a spiteful way.

Perú FC repped this.
  25. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Yes, I think anybody that gives Cruyff the #9 shirt and puts him in the centre of attack in this thread has enough historical knowledge to know that it does not mean that he's expected to act like a tank or whatever. That is certainly not a "ploy" to diminish Cruyff as a footballer. Everybody knows that he's expected to play as a false 9 in an all-time XI. I did the same in my team and that is owed mostly to manage as many offensive all-time greats in the starting XI as is feasibly possible. With Pelé as #10 it is obvious both players would interchange positions all of the time, a very fluid system with no fixed positions for any of the offensive players.

Perú FC repped this.