All-Time World Cup game - Discussion, rules, squads, info

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by PDG1978, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    One of the reasons I considered to vote for the victory of British Isles B was I believe that the Brazilian A lineup was unbalanced, very unprotected in defense. I think there was an overpopulation of attacking-playmakers, even comparing it with the very offensive idea of Brazil in 1970 and its quintet of 10's. I feel Didi and Sócrates are somewhat redundant and subtracted from that system a mixed player that has greater sacrifice to drown out British possession (which is capable of obtaining it with spaces and without pressing), provides little protection for the projection of Roberto Carlos (something necessary to give width to your attacking intentions) and demans too much of Zito.

One point that I think aggravates that situation a bit is the offensive trend of your side-backs. Cafu and Roberto Carlos can be good markers, but they are not the best of the best in that regard and I think it would be more noticeable with the general lack of protection I previously described, while the British placed you 2 of the best European wing-players (Matthews and Finney).

I also has the feeling that they have a better defense to contain your attack that your defense in the opposite situation and they would have more opportunity to build deeply after recovering balls, so about a game without pressing in the middle and with an adequate wide attack I think British team deserves the victory.

At least they're the ideas that came to mind.

La-Máquina, Excape Goat and thebigman repped this.
  2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is why we need more discussion in the thread. The players could post their argument once, but the voters should be more active in discussion imo. Otherwise, we don't really understand how the votes are made and it can be frustrating.

Perú FC repped this.
  3. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I agree. The criteria are probably different, but one of the most interesting things about this game for me is to see those differences.

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just for info purposes here is Peru FC's actual vote (as you can see he did vote for a close match still, with a Brazil attack still offering enough and getting enough of the ball to score twice):

Obviously there are some parallels to the actual result there!

Perú FC and thebigman repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fair enough, I thought the attacking threat would be too great. Ndidi was an athlete and zito a world class sitting midfielder

Socrates has the physique to drop deeper and help

I thought Pelé and garrincha would feast off the defence

Especially when the subs happened and a more attacking fb came on to provide overloads

6. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've submitted my teams. I quite enjoyed making them as well :thumbsup:

PDG1978 repped this.
  7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yep, thanks mate.

I'll get started posting matches up soon then, as all teams have been received now.

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    First game up already: others to follow fairly shortly.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/al...e-ups-results-updates-fixtures.2105346/page-7
    They are just finding some blue shirts and deciding which team will wear them (I guess the Belgian red would clash too much!)!

I'm right in saying people (other than myself and poetgooner) can also see the diagram for his team-tactics aren't I? I assume so as it's a completely different website/app to the other one, so I guess I don't need to screen-shot anything. I also don't need to write anything for his tactics since it's all there.

9. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As long as you copy the image location from the pics in the PM, you'll be fine. It's actually the sharemytactics lineups that I can't see lol

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I just did a straight copy and paste. If anyone confirms it needs changing I'll double check what you mean again, but we know the screen-shot method would work too.

Yeah, you couldn't see the sharemytactics line-ups last round either could you. Everyone else could I think, so I can just show you screen-shotted versions of those by PM again before voting (in fact tonight probably once I've posted all the matches).

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Perú FC repped this.
  12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    All votes received from those with teams still left in.

As the original deadline was Monday, and as IMO it's much better to get a full set of votes, I won't announce results until Tuesday morning, unless all votes come in before then or those that don't want to vote, let us, or just me by PM, know. so that I'd be sure there was nobody still planning to cast votes.

@Titanlux
    @thebigman
    @Excape Goat

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’ll vote later tonight

PDG1978 repped this.
  14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ok, thanks mate. I'll get the results up (or at least confirm the semi-finalists) this evening if it's fairly early when you send your votes (but no worries if not). Otherwise sometime tomorrow (later rather than earlier though).

I have votes from Titanlux and Excape now so the tagging was a good call I think (unless it was a coincidence lol).

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'll get results and semi-final fixtures up early tomorrow morning.

The Semi-Final deadline will be Saturday, and for voting Wednesday.

Perú FC repped this.
  16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    More details later, but...

Benelux-A 2 Benelux-B 1

Argentina-B 1 Argentina-A 2

British Isles-B 1 France-A 2 (after extra-time)

Germany-B 1 Brazil-B 2

I make it that Abe Lenstra is the one player who will be required to play some part in the semi-final or the following match (3rd place match or the Final), to ensure all players from the 4 semi-finalist squads play a part in the tournament as per the rules. So @La-Máquina has the option to play him in the La-Maquina Derby (otherwise known as the European semi-final) or not - semi-final fixtures confirmed below:

Benelux-A vs France-A

Argentina-A vs Brazil-B

Excape Goat, Perú FC and La-Máquina repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Adding goal/assist/MOTM details in bold:

Benelux-A 2 Benelux-B 1
    (Hazard 27: assist Robben, Van Nistelrooy 63, Gullit 83: assist Rensenbrink, MOTM: Cruyff)
    Argentina-B 1 Argentina-A 2
    (Di Stefano 35, Orsi 75: 2 assists Maradona, Kempes 89: assist Passarella, MOTM: Maradona)
    British Isles-B 1 France-A 2 (after extra-time)
    (Charlton 51: assist Gerrard, Fontaine 57: assist Kopa, Cantona 109, MOTM: Desailly)
    Germany-B 1 Brazil-B 2
    (Jairzinho 20: assist Zico, Ronaldo 65, Rummenigge 75: assist Littbarski, MOTM: Mauro Silva)

Perú FC repped this.
  18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just getting stats updated before moving in to add some match reports in the other thread:

Goalscorers
    8 - Just Fontaine
    5 - Gerd Muller, Pele
    4 - Gabriel Batistuta, Josef Bican, Bobby Charlton, Alfredo Di Stefano, Eusebio, Jimmy Greaves, Ronaldo, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Marco van Basten
    3 - Ruud Gullit, Lionel Messi, Silvio Piola, Cristiano Ronaldo, Hristo Stoichkov, David Villa
    2 - Roberto Baggio, Johan Cruyff, Preben Elkjaer, Gheorghe Hagi, Mario Kempes, Jari Litmanen, Diego Maradona, Lothar Matthaus, Giussepe Meazza, Pavel Nedved, Raimundo Orsi, Daniel Passarella, Michel Platini, Raul, Rob Rensenbrink, Arjen Robben, Andriy Shevchenko, Alberto Spencer, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Zico
    1 - Ademir, Adriano, Michael Ballack, Ferenc Bene, George Best, Oleg Blokhin, Alen Boksic, Andreas Brehme, Emilio Butragueno, Eric Cantona, Careca, Edinson Cavani, Jan Ceulemans, Teofilo Cubillas, Kenny Dalglish, Edgar Davids, Dixie Dean, Youri Djorkaeff, Dragan Dzajic, Arsenio Erico, Samuel Eto'o, Tom Finney, Diego Forlan, Enzo Francescoli, Garrincha, Ryan Giggs, Eden Hazard, Thierry Henry, Fernando Hierro, Andres Iniesta, Jairzinho, Juan Joya, Jurgen Klinsmann, Sandor Kocsis, Ronald Koeman, Laszlo Kubala, Frank Lampard, Gzregorz Lato, Denis Law, Robert Lewandowski, Wlodzimierz Lubanski, Maicon, Valentino Mazzola, Thomas Muller, Gunnar Nordahl, Jean-Pierre Papin, Robert Pires, Pierino Prati, Ferenc Puskas, Helmut Rahn, Juan Roman Riquelme, Luigi Riva, Roberto Rivelino, Pedro Rocha, Romario, Ronaldinho, Paolo Rossi, Mohamed Salah, Hugo Sanchez, Gyorgy Sarosi, Uwe Seeler, Alan Shearer, Davor Suker, Lajos Tichy, Carlos Valderrama, Robin van Persie, George Weah, Zinedine Zidane, Zizinho

Assisters (incl. pens/free-kicks won, but not deflections or secondary assists)
    7 - Diego Maradona
    5 - Johan Cruyff
    4 - Luis Figo, Raymond Kopa, Michael Laudrup, Juan Schiaffino, Zico
    3 - Kazimierz Deyna, Stanley Matthews, Michel Platini, Arjen Robben, Matthias Sindelar
    2 - Francisco Arce, Dennis Bergkamp, George Best, Oleg Blokhin, Paul Breitner, Kenny Dalglish, Alfredo Di Stefano, Garrincha, Francisco Gento, Ruud Gullit, Gheorghe Hagi, Pierre Littbarski, Lionel Messi, Bobby Moore, Ferenc Puskas, Rob Rensebrink, Tostao, Francesco Totti, Fritz Walter
    1 - Osvaldo Ardiles, Jose Augusto, Michael Ballack, Bebeto, Franz Beckenbauer, David Beckham, Ferenc Bene, Dimitar Berbatov, Zvonimir Boban, Emilio Butragueno, Careca, Omar Corbatta, Teofilo Cubillas, Alessandro Del Piero, Didi, Youri Djorkaeff, Dragan Dzajic, Giacinto Facchetti, Paulo Roberto Falcao, Paul Gascoigne, Steven Gerrard, Gerson, Josep Guardiola, Eden Hazard, Thierry Henry, Nandor Hidegkuti, Andres Iniesta, Jorginho, Mario Kempes, Sandor Kocsis, Jan Koller, Brian Laudrup, Denis Law, Lothar Matthaus, Michel, Jose Manuel Moreno, Gerd Muller, Pavel Nedved, Gunter Netzer, Ernst Ocwirk, Daniel Passarella, Pele, Andrea Pirlo, Fernando Redondo, Juan Roman Riquelme, Gianni Rivera, Dominique Rocheteau, Romario, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Paolo Rossi, Rui Costa, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Marcelo Salas, Clarence Seedorf, Uwe Seeler, Alan Shearer, Alexis Sanchez, David Silva, Omar Sivori, Wesley Sneijder, Socrates, Dragan Stojkovic, Jean Tigana, Yaya Toure, Patrick Vieira, Rudi Voller, George Weah, Faas Wilkes, Xavi, Zinedine Zidane, Zizinho, Gianfranco Zola

Man of the Match
    3 - Johan Cruyff, Alfredo Di Stefano
    2 - Franco Baresi, George Best, Diego Maradona, Lothar Matthaus, Lionel Messi
    1 - Roberto Baggio, Gordon Banks, Franz Beckenbauer, Paul Breitner, Hector Chumpitaz, Teofilo Cubillas, Marcel Desailly, Paulo Roberto Falcao, Luis Figo, Elias Figueroa, Tom Finney, Garrincha, Ruud Gullit, Gheorghe Hagi, Raymond Kopa, Ruud Krol, Michael Laudrup, Soren Lerby, Diego Maradona, Josef Masopust, Stanley Matthews, Bobby Moore, Thomas N'Kono, Wolfgang Overath, Daniel Passarella, Pele, Michel Platini, Frank Rijkaard, Arjen Robben, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Dejan Savicevic, Juan Schiaffino, Gaetano Scirea, Albert Shesternyov, Mauro Silva, Jean Tigana, Yaya Toure, Marco van Basten, Patrick Vieira, David Villa, Xavi, Ricardo Zamora, Zico

msioux75 and Perú FC repped this.
  19. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good game guys! :thumbsup:

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Perú FC repped this.
  21. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    South American Derby vs New European Derby!

I bet that @La-Máquina will be a finalist.

La-Máquina and PDG1978 repped this.
  22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Perú FC repped this.
  23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Here are direct links to posts for the semi-finals, for easy access now that it's been a while:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/al...updates-fixtures.2105346/page-7#post-38134579
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/al...updates-fixtures.2105346/page-7#post-38134675

@Titanlux
    @thebigman
    @poetgooner

....if you want to get votes confirmed tomorrow that'll be great. For one game in particular it could help, but obviously it's best to get everyone's calls anyway, and it could even turn the other game around in theory I guess!

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Details to follow but here are the final scores from the semi-finals:

Benelux-A 2 France-A 1 (after extra-time)

Argentina-A 2 Brazil-B 3

Perú FC repped this.
  25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    So at this stage I might as well state the obvious:

The 3rd Place Play-Off will be France-A vs Argentina-A,
    and the Big Soccer All-Time World Cup Final will be played between Benelux-A & Brazil-B!

I'm thinking of Tuesday 17th as the deadline for submitting line-ups, and Saturday 21st as the deadline for voting. I wouldn't really mind if it goes into Wednesday the 18th and Sunday the 22nd respectively if necessary though so if anyone prefers that I could even write those as the deadlines initially when I come to that stage on the line-ups thread later today sometime.

Perú FC and thebigman repped this.