All things Pulisic (king of the hockey assist, master of the Hershey header).

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by lobomojo, Jan 17, 2019.

1. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He then sat down on the bench and burst into tears. !!!

What the hell is going on in the US team?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/christian-pulisic-reduced-tears-after-20590782

Berhalter would later claim that Pulisic had been suffering from "flu-like symptoms" and "a light fever" before the match, but the 21-year-old could be seen angrily telling his boss "I'm fine" as he sat on the bench looking distraught after the full-time whistle.

2. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Frank Lampard is NOT making Pulisic cry. After that kind of midweek trauma he's not going to be ready to play for Chelsea.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jesus, poor bastard :(

Hopefully Lamps and the club can put an arm round the guy and support him. That's what's needed.

4. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I’m really amazed that things are at this point with a player who has had 4 assists in 7 games. It all feels a bit contrived and otherwise ridiculous. Or talk of him maybe making the bench thanks to injuries (the ********?).

Sure, kid isn’t guaranteed a starting spot but dropping him completely for a couple of games has created a storyline now that everyone has latched onto, whatever their opinion may be. This is all distracting.

He’ll be fine but man.. can’t help feeling how unnecessary the creation of this chatter was.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree but, let's be honest, if the fella was from the Ivory Coast or Slovenia nobody in the meeja, (well, outside of the meeja from those countries), would have been this 'manic'.

There'd have been some comment about him costing a lot but not playing for a few games but nothing LIKE this degree of furore.

russ and Yahtzee repped this.
  6. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agreed, good point. Comes with the territory.

He is the guy on the USMNT. Most expensive American ever. First American (correct me on this if wrong) to ever get signed to a PL team of our pedigree. Our 4th most expensive signing according to some site I just looked at.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    3rd of 4th depending on whether you use the exchange rate used at the time. I think it was different so, in a sense, Torres was maybe more expensive in terms of euros.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-chelsea/transferrekorde/verein/631

But it's also worth considering that, a) Almost ALL of the others were older and established stars for their clubs and countries as well, and b) In the same way there's an English tax I think there's also an, (albeit, smaller), American 'tax'. The plain truth is that, for any quality of player, guys from England, say, will tend to be more expensive.

The second one is arguable I suppose but the first is definitely a factor and I think it means that a period of adjustment was probably always going to be necessary.

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Brad Friedel played for Liverpool briefly in the 90s, then Tim Howard joined United a few years later.

Miazga was the first American we signed.

Yahtzee repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IMO the best American in British football was Claudio Reyna. That guy was a terrific player a few years back.

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    McBride by a county mile.

Great attitude, great player, could have played a role on some of the bigger teams if given the chance.

lobomojo repped this.
  11. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Friedel for me though goalkeepers are goalkeepers because they cant play football.

And while he was/is a tosser, Clint Dempsey was at home in the epl. Probably my pick for best american outfield player.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    McBride for me.

13. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I always liked Damarcus Beasley as a player. He had a brief spell at Man Citeh. He really never reached his potential. But I liked him.

McBride. The player.

Shame the American Pele never got to play in England. Yep, I am looking at you, Freddy Adu.

14. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    #114 dspence2311, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    I didn’t get today’s game where I live. Other than the hockey assist, how did Pulisic look?

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    WTF is a hockey assist?

16. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it's where you touch the ball in the buildup rather than make the direct pass. A way to claim assists that aren't technically assists in the football sense.

Could well be wrong. Pulisic didnt have an assist today but was involved in the build up along with others depending on how far back you want to go.

17. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    it is the pass before the last pass, particularly if it contributes substantively to the goal.

stanger repped this.
  18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Came on and played his part. Got into a good position and almost took advantage of a half-chance himself, (which pleased me, immensely), and played a part in our goal.

He looked lively and didn't hide from the ball which, after his last outing for his national side, would have maybe been understandable.

TBH, he's gone up in my estimation as a person. The kids got guts :)

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm... sounds a bit of a 'flexible' concept to me, tbh :D

20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Er.......um.....I am actually speechless that people record that...

Er......

Er....

(what if it doesn't "contribute substantively"..is it still a hockey assist)

21. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Just looked it up. I had it wrong. Every pass that leads to the past that leads to the goal counts as a “secondary assist” in hockey. The last past before the goal is a “primary assist.” Both are part of the official statistics, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who has played a lot of team sports. But hockey is the only sport that counts this in their statistics.

22. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Showed that he is an asset to this team and should certainly see more game time.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hang on... isn't that just, y'know... a pass? :D

It's like I've always thought about American sports fans. They just luuurve them some meaningless statistics ;)

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What if it was a total missed pass that the guy on the other side that should have collected it wasn't paying attention but it then went to one of your own guys who knocked it into the net.

25. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Well, how about this one.

Kepa rolls the ball out to Alonso, who is 3 feet away all alone, in an absolute mile of space. He saunters up the side line, goes around the first player trying to close him down, dinks past another two, legs it to the endline and crosses for Tammy to tap in, after he bust a gut running the length of the field to keep up with play.

Right.

Tammy = goal

Alonso = assist.

Kepa = "hockey assist"

You simply couldn't make this shit up, are you ********ing kidding me.

You Yanks are kidding right, this is what they are resorting to now to judge his game?

A hockey assist?????...Jesus wept.