all star game

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by ox utd, Jul 20, 2006.

1. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    That was a fairly boring match, but Andrew did a great job on the commentary. Anyone else feel screwed on us only getting one player, and he didn't even start? And I about had a seizure when they announced Chris Brunt for Wednesday, till I realized it wasn't the same guy! All in all, a fairly evenly matched game, but you could tell that Wednesday wasn't fully up to speed yet, and the USL guys just didn't want to get too tired or hurt in the middle of the season. Where's our loyal Wednesday/Battery fan anyways?? Simek looked quite good at right back, someone to keep an eye on for the future for the US.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that the match will have won any casual fans over. I was initailly up set that more Battery players didn't make the team, but then in retrospect, Im glad our guys had a chance to rest. we have a tough scheulde coming up with Miami this Sat. @ Minn on Thur then @ VB on Sat. FC Dallas on WEd. and then the Lynxs on Sat.

Another game by our all stars isn't what we need. As it was, Daley had some good touches and a couple nice runs. only played a half and should be good to go against Miami.

Andrew did a great job as usual as well.

Mikey

3. ox utd

ox utd New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    charleston
    Ideally we would have had about 5 players on the roster, and 4 would come down with the mysterious "all star injury bug" that seems to strike many all stars in every sport. I.E. they don't want to get tired or hurt so they get the credit, then don't play - see Romario.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that some of the choice and addmissions of names on the team left me scratching my head. Just looking at the USL stats, Glinton and Weaver have more Goals than Simmonds has, Hell even ARmstong and Hollingsworth have nearly as many with far less minutes played.

I'm not a big fan of All-Star games but if the USL does do this agian why not do it like MLSdid their's, 11 spots by fan vote the other ones by coaches selection.

seems like it would have more crediblity that way.

Mikey

5. Duke of Earl

Duke of Earl New Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Mikey, Guess you have heard by now that Omar has to sit down tonight with 5 yellows.

On All Star game, it was a fair crowd by our standards, but am wondering what the bottom line was after expenses. Surely they paid the players' expenses. I could see it at the end of the season, but would rather see the coaches and GM's vote in the players as they do for All League. They could not vote for their own players. I am afraid that teams with bigger fan base would stuff the ballot boxes. Hell will freeze over before there is an MLS - USL All Star competition, but I would pay to see it. I would not pay to see a repeat of Wed night's contest.