All Rocks 2017-18 Drafted Leagues Organizing Thread

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by Hal, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    The EPL 2017-18 Fixtures are out.

Gameweek 1: August 12th, 2017:
    Arsenal v Leicester City
    Brighton and Hove Albion v Manchester City
    Chelsea v Burnley
    Crystal Palace v Huddersfield Town
    Everton v Stoke City
    Manchester United v West Ham United
    Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
    Southampton v Swansea City
    Watford v Liverpool
    West Bromwich Albion v Bournemouth

Expect the Fantasy.PremierLeague.com site to launch in early July for the 2017-18 EPL season.

Time to organize for real:

The preliminary league and position alignment below reflects last season’s promotion and relegation, and removal of the 5 teams that went inactive for substantial periods of last season.

Depending on whether or not the 27 teams listed all confirm and commit to stay active the entire season, we will have room for at least 5 new managers and maybe a few more.

ITC = Date Posted Intent to Continue

Rank ITC Team Manager

Small Rocks 2017-18

ITC Date

Pos ITC date Team Name BigSoccer Nickname
    Small Rocks 2017-18

1 ....... Top Shelf Wendys

2 22-May FC St. Pauli Scottk 964

3 16-May Glorydaze Glorydaze

4 ........ WhataBunchofMuppets! Sonabert

5 8-May Aviators Hal

6 13-May ColdDogSoup lobomojo

7 9-May Sasha Juniors tarvinidos

8 14-May FC Weymouth Morrison 8312

Very Small Rocks 2017-18

1 ...... Keysersoze Wanderers tjh71

2 ...... FC Touchline Ban epikoinos

3 19-May ChrisSuttonsSlippers frasermc

4 17-May Journeyman Dave Pearson

5 19-May FERGIE RED NOSE 2 CRIBMAD

6 8-May BiggerBoat Dr. Heckle

7 12-Jun New Team Name 1800-WorldCup.com

8 21-May Real Newark bobfest

Sand 2017-18

1 ...... FC Yankees Christi

2 15-May Kopite Juniors kopiteinkc

3 ..... Potomac Highlanders BalanceUT

4 ..... Tangers FC Kevin McGuire

5 18-May Morning Glory pato2384

6 ..... Yellowcake Phantoms DoctorJones24

7 ..... Pararaiders Mal (smash ya out)

8 9-May Rafalution Rgatt09

Dust 2017-18

1 19-May Stormin Gunners Norm Coyle

2 ..... Pork Soda djangone

3 ..... Vegas Virgins vegas2u

4 ...... New Manager

5 ...... New Manager

6 ...... New Manager

7 ...... New Manager

8 ...... New Manager

Action Required.

Step 1. New Managers interested in participating in the All Rocks Drafted Leagues should do the following (only if you agree to stay active the entire season):

a) Read the All Rocks History thread and the All Rocks Draft Rules and Transfer threads which are “stickied” at the top of the Games and Fantasy Thread.

b) Send a Private Message to “Hal” with the following contact information: Name, Proposed Team Name, BigSoccer nickname, email address, contact phone.

c) Also, post your Name, Team Name in this thread, confirming completion of a) and b) above. The date / time of your post will be the determining factor as to where you will be placed in the All Rocks League alignments.

Step 2. All managers indicate their final intent to continue by July 16. After that, we'll move up managers based on the vacancies and recruit new managers for the Dust League. Once a league has everyone commit to play and stay active the entire season, move on to Step 3. (This would also be a good time to start your draft preparation analysis of players and to register at the Fantasy.premierleague.com fantasy football site.

Step 3. Once the Fantasy.Premierleague.com site opens in July, register your team and begin your draft preparation analysis of the 2017-18 player database.

Step 4. Each league appoint or have a manager volunteer to be the Draft Commissioner. Duties: Collect the managers contact information, (phone, email, BigSoccer nickname, Team Name, Time Zone from which will draft, and any draft constraints by July 23. Commissioner uses a draft randomizer using manager's emails to develop draft order for the Odd numbered rounds. Commissioner determines a draft start date for his/her league that takes into account the availability of the managers. The first match is Aug 12, Backing off two weeks means each league should start the GoSlow phase of their draft around July 29. (Typically, each league completes their draft within a week during the “GoSlow” phase.) Then, if the draft goes real slow, there can be a Go Fast phase with 1 hour between picks to complete the draft no later than Aug 09. This will allow time for the First-Come, First- Served Post-Draft Squad Adjustments 24 hours after the last pick made in the draft and still before the first match on Aug 12.

Step 5. The Draft Commissioner for each league becomes the League Admin for the season. Duties: Create the respective 2017-18 All Rocks League and invite the other managers to join.

Step 6. I'll create the All Rocks 2017-18 League and send out invitations to all 32 managers. Request each league draft commissioner send me the emails of its managers so I can send them invites to join the All Rocks 2017-18 League. All of the teams in the four All Rocks Leaguel join the All Rocks 2017-18 League so there is a common place where we can get all the GW scores of All Rocks Teams each week for the many Inter and Intra League Cup Competitions we hold throughout the year.

2. Sonabert

Sonabert Member+

Jul 29, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Have heard rumours that the Official EPL site is going to include a draft version ...... so keep yer eyes open .....

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is going to have a draft version but player values are not included. I propose we stick to the 100M maximum and once we look at their draft system determine if we want to use it

Not sureh ow their transfer/trade system will work but certainly looks a good possibility for tracking players and has the customization we need for leagues, etc

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2017/07/06/fpl-draft-game-revealed/

4. bobfest

bobfest Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. Sonabert

Sonabert Member+

Jul 29, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

DrHeckle repped this.
  6. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think I'll give it a go again.

Start in Dust.

Real Mos Eisley

I want a piece of Bigger Boat! lol

DrHeckle repped this.
  7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  8. bobfest

bobfest Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't see why they eliminated captains. That's silly. I'm not sure I would be in favor of using the FPL draft unless they change that.

kopiteinkc repped this.
  9. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    League Alignments Updated Through July 6 Intent to Continue Posts

The EPL 2017-18 Fixtures are out

Gameweek 1: August 12th, 2017:
    Arsenal v Leicester City
    Brighton and Hove Albion v Manchester City
    Chelsea v Burnley
    Crystal Palace v Huddersfield Town
    Everton v Stoke City
    Manchester United v West Ham United
    Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur
    Southampton v Swansea City
    Watford v Liverpool
    West Bromwich Albion v Bournemouth

Expect the Fantasy.PremierLeague.com site to launch in early July for the 2017-18 EPL season.

Time to organize for real:

The preliminary league and position alignment below reflects last season’s promotion and relegation, and removal of the 5 teams that went inactive for substantial periods of last season.

Depending on whether or not the 27 teams listed all confirm and commit to stay active the entire season, we will have room for at least 5 new managers and maybe a few more.

ITC = Date Posted Intent to Continue

Rank ITC Team Manager

Small Rocks 2017-18

ITC Date

Pos ITC date Team Name BigSoccer Nickname
    Small Rocks 2017-18

1 ....... Top Shelf Wendys

2 22-May FC St. Pauli Scottk 964

3 16-May Glorydaze Glorydaze

4 20-June WhataBunchofMuppets! Sonabert

5 8-May Aviators Hal

6 13-May ColdDogSoup lobomojo

7 9-May Sasha Juniors tarvinidos

8 14-May FC Weymouth Morrison 8312

Very Small Rocks 2017-18

1 ...... Keysersoze Wanderers tjh71

2 4-July FC Epikoinos (nee FC Touchline Ban) epikoinos

3 19-May ChrisSuttonsSlippers frasermc

4 17-May Journeyman Dave Pearson

5 19-May FERGIE RED NOSE 2 CRIBMAD

6 8-May BiggerBoat Dr. Heckle

7 12-Jun Lords of Luzhniki 1800-WorldCup.com

8 21-May Real Newark bobfest

Sand 2017-18

1 15-June FC Yankees Christi

2 15-May Kopite Juniors kopiteinkc

3 19-June Potomac Highlanders BalanceUT

4 18-June Tangers FC Kevin McGuire

5 18-May Morning Glory pato2384

6 ..... Yellowcake Phantoms DoctorJones24

7 ..... Pararaiders Mal (smash ya out)

8 9-May Rafalution Rgatt09

Dust 2017-18

1 19-May Stormin Gunners Norm Coyle

2 ..... Pork Soda djangone

3 ..... Vegas Virgins vegas2u

4 6-July Real Mo Eisley Jedi Soccer

5 ...... New Manager

6 ...... New Manager

7 ...... New Manager

8 ...... New Manager

Action Required.

Step 1. New Managers interested in participating in the All Rocks Drafted Leagues should do the following (only if you agree to stay active the entire season):

a) Read the All Rocks History thread and the All Rocks Draft Rules and Transfer threads which are “stickied” at the top of the Games and Fantasy Thread.

b) Send a Private Message to “Hal” with the following contact information: Name, Proposed Team Name, BigSoccer nickname, email address, contact phone.

c) Also, post your Name, Team Name in this thread, confirming completion of a) and b) above. The date / time of your post will be the determining factor as to where you will be placed in the All Rocks League alignments.

Step 2. All managers indicate their final intent to continue by July 16. After that, we'll move up managers based on the vacancies and recruit new managers for the Dust League. Once a league has everyone commit to play and stay active the entire season, move on to Step 3. (This would also be a good time to start your draft preparation analysis of players and to register at the Fantasy.premierleague.com fantasy football site.

Step 3. Once the Fantasy.Premierleague.com site opens in July, register your team and begin your draft preparation analysis of the 2017-18 player database.

Step 4. Each league appoint or have a manager volunteer to be the Draft Commissioner. Duties: Collect the managers contact information, (phone, email, BigSoccer nickname, Team Name, Time Zone from which will draft, and any draft constraints by July 23. Commissioner uses a draft randomizer using manager's emails to develop draft order for the Odd numbered rounds. Commissioner determines a draft start date for his/her league that takes into account the availability of the managers. The first match is Aug 12, Backing off two weeks means each league should start the GoSlow phase of their draft around July 29. (Typically, each league completes their draft within a week during the “GoSlow” phase.) Then, if the draft goes real slow, there can be a Go Fast phase with 1 hour between picks to complete the draft no later than Aug 09. This will allow time for the First-Come, First- Served Post-Draft Squad Adjustments 24 hours after the last pick made in the draft and still before the first match on Aug 12.

Step 5. The Draft Commissioner for each league becomes the League Admin for the season. Duties: Create the respective 2017-18 All Rocks League and invite the other managers to join.

Step 6. I'll create the All Rocks 2017-18 League and send out invitations to all 32 managers. Request each league draft commissioner send me the emails of its managers so I can send them invites to join the All Rocks 2017-18 League. All of the teams in the four All Rocks Leaguel join the All Rocks 2017-18 League so there is a common place where we can get all the GW scores of All Rocks Teams each week for the many Inter and Intra League Cup Competitions we hold throughout the year.

10. DrHeckle

DrHeckle BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 12, 2010
    Cairns
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I am officially scared :unsure:

11. DrHeckle

Jul 12, 2010
    Cairns
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This is fantastic news.. we can use the FPL site for our draft.
    This is awesome news... we can run the Draft competition on here. Plus we can run one Big League (all 32 Rock Teams) for the "real game" without the restrictions of draft.

No Captains etc makes it more realsitic - as Muppet says the best leagues I have been in .. NFL/ AFL/ NRL etc are all draft based with no salary caps and no bonus captains etc. Made for a much more even competition.

Sonabert and BalanceUT repped this.
  12. DrHeckle

Jul 12, 2010
    Cairns
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ...and look at this .. like it was meant to be :D

Q: What size league works best?

The Scout: With each squad in a league unique, we have found that up to eight teams is the optimum size for a private league.

Public leagues will all consist of eight teams.

BalanceUT repped this.
  13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a weird idea: Use the Draft league for record-keeping and management of transfers. But, the real competition is managed on the regular EPL site.... the problem is the regular EPL site is salary capped.. so maybe wouldn't work.... The reason for this is I'm worried that we will lose some of our other competitions (the head to head and 32 team league) if we go to the draft league.

14. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I played a MLS draft soccer league for a few seasons that didn't use the players' salaries like the old MFLS game. There were very few trades. Everyone drafted all the expensive players as they didn't have to worry about a cap.

I found it boring and little was available in the free agent pool.

I also like the idea of captaincy as a way to recover.

I am not for switching the All Rocks Drafted Leagues to the FPL draft system, which, as was mentioned also does not use the captaincy feature.

I would be willing to run a parallel All Rocks league on the FPL Drafted system to try it out if we got at least 16 managers to join. Then we'd have a real comparison and a year's experience when deciding which system to use in the future.

For now, I'm very comfortable with our current system the way it's evolved.

15. Sonabert

Sonabert Member+

Jul 29, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This new chip in the fantasy game is going to create some real headaches .... can see so many illegal transfers because of it.

And with it having no Capts or vice Capts I have found more people stay interested when some of the variables are removed as it levels the playing field a bit.

DrHeckle repped this.
  16. DrHeckle

Jul 12, 2010
    Cairns
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Agree with Muppet .. it was such a Hallelujah moment that this FPL has finally caught up with the rest of the world and is doing Draft now... we can now do this properly, still run our side comps etc (maybe I will even get time to do mine now !!) and not get bogged down in the very onerous task (more for some than others granted) Google Doc - trade forums blah blah. This will attract a lot more people I reckon to the Rocks world, and we can have lots more leagues ... we will have to think of smaller than Dust things ... or make the rocks bigger at the top.. I quite the like the sound of Asteroid League as the pinnacle !:D

This is the way forward.. march with us ! :)

Sonabert repped this.
  17. Sonabert

Sonabert Member+

Jul 29, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    overall league can be setup by a person with a normal side& that persons invites everybody into to it .... then all draft leagues can be separate. So much easier .......

Seriously considering my participation in All rocksnow we have an easier option to replication across Google.

Times change & if you don't roll with it ..... just ask Mr VHS & Mr Kodak ! .... bad pun time ..... Beta times ahead.

18. DrHeckle

Jul 12, 2010
    Cairns
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Bear with me Grasshopper..,... No need to run from All Rocks/ Big Soccer..... we just need a tweak ... hang in there...
    • We still have all the Leagues - Small/VSR/ Sand/ Dust etc .. just as we do now. As I said as we get bigger we can make some changes to the names if we grow/ expand
    • The Leagues will run as they are this year as per Hals breakdown of who is in what league
    • Instead of a league set up in normal FPL and a correlating Google Doc sheet and a correlating Transfer Forum - we can now run the Leagues on the FPL Draft side of things. Much easier and less time consuming.
    • Same promotion/ relegation as per how it is now
    • We can still run all side comps based on scores in this Draft League
    • Big Soccer is still place for all side comps/ banter and what not
    • Everyone can then run their own "Open Team" and we can create a League for that with all 32 managers to make it interesting

BalanceUT repped this.
  19. Sonabert

Sonabert Member+

Jul 29, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would also believe with their draft league you wouldn't be restricted to 1 xfer a week, though no doubt the league admin could restrict it to 2 or 3 a week. ..... this again would keep peoples interest longer.

20. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    I have created the Small Rock 2017-18 League and the All Rocks 2017-18 League and send email invites to join to all those managers listed above, even though 6 of the 28 teams have yet to post an intent to continue.

We currently have 4 openings for new managers this season..

If someone wants to create some FPL Draft leagues, I would be willing to have a team there as well.

21. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have a baaaad feeling about this.

22. bobfest

bobfest Member

May 13, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How long can a draft take? Given the time zone differences here, will it be possible to keep a draft open for days so that we can get through 15 rounds? I read the information on the FPL site, but it didn't say.

23. DrHeckle

Jul 12, 2010
    Cairns
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Soooooo... this is not even open to discussion. We are just throwing the FPL Draft idea in the bin since there in no Captain... no Chips etc ?? :cry:

I think the introduction of the FPL Draft certainly opens up at least discussion, rather than just 1 or two managers going " well I don't like that there is no captain so poo poo to that ! ". On flip side, I do not expect all to jump on the FPL Draft bandwagon just because an Old Dinghy and Kermit say so.....

I cannot speak for all... but no way I have the time or inclination to run 1) an FPL open team (everyone does it) + 2) an FPL Draft team on normal FPL using google docs etc and then 3 ) an FPL Draft comp on FPL Draft site ... that has nothing to do with the All Rocks set up and is just a sideshow.

I say we vote : .. I will start off :

To Run the All Rocks Draft League on what System:

For Old Google Docs System:

1. Hal

For New FPL Draft Site:

1. BiggerBoat
    2. Muppet Sonabert
    feel free to copy and paste and continue .....

:D

Sonabert repped this.
  24. Hal

Hal Member+

Sep 9, 1999
    My post said I see no value in not running the All Rocks draft leagues as we have been doing, but also, if you can get at least 16 members, enough for two leagues, have those teams also do the FPL Draft league to properly evaluate the experience and decide a future, perhaps, common course of action.

I have had experience with a salary cap less drafted fantasy soccer league and I found it wanting and a bit boring. Nonetheless, I'd be willing to do both.

25. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm with Hal on this one and would prefer to use the old school way. I would have considered the new official FPL draft league but a very big + for me is the squad balancing with maximum cash limit balanced with the fact that not all the players are available to you. I am not a fan of the same old same old template teams.

I realise that template teams wouldn't have been possible in the new FPL drafted version either but i would greatly miss the financial side of it i feel.

I've read from Bigger Boat etc that the new format would give a more balanced game but would that really be the case with no cash restrictions. e.g, - when the January transfer window opens what's to stop the early bird getting all the worms if he/she doesn't need to worry about monetary values of players and whether or not they can afford all/any of the big hitters that inevitably roll up in that month?