Algarve roster announced

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RUfan, Feb 11, 2010.

1. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    the captain isn't going?

3. tobinheathfan13

tobinheathfan13 New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    by captain are you talking about rampone or chalupny. unfortunate about chups, but it's best that she goes and takes care of it now before she does real damage to her brain.

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The really interesting thing to me is that Faroe Islands has a team??

But it will also be interesting to see how the various combinations up front work out. At least, I would guess we won't just see Abby and A-rod over and over.

I'm not on the A-rod is worthless bandwagon (snakebit would be my take) but we do need to sort out some options there...

"See" being a figure of speech, of course.

5. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Bummed and really crossing my fingers for Chalupny. I hope she can return soon to soccer (what a fantastic player), but of course the primarily concern is for her long-term health. Concussions are so tricky and difficult. I seem to remember a while back she had some problems with concussion, so it sounds like this has been ongoing.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay! A new thread for Algarve. Thanks RUfan :)

I think that there has to be some feasible and not expensive way for US Soccer to get the USA games uploaded to the web. The entire game not just 5 minute highlights. If Algarve stadia do not have internet capabilities for immediate (and live) webcasting, which is entirely possible, surely the US Soccer people have the ability to film and then upload the matches after the fact.

Perhaps if we all emailed them or posted the suggestion on facebook or twitter or some other new technological communication tool.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Now that I've had a day to think about it-- what's really going to be interesting about this roster is how slow it is. I'm not sure (if she's at the level of fitness she reached at the end of last year) that Whitehill isn't the fourth or fifth fastest player on this roster. :eek:

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that I'd go quite as far as putting Whitehill so far up the "speedy players" list (I know the 4 forwards, Heath, HAO, Mitts, and Schnur can out sprint her.). But you raise a very good issue. I am concerned about the speed (or lack of same) along the backline and central midfield. A defense that holds a high line like we often do really needs at least one (preferably several) player with top level recovery speed. I do not see anyone on this roster with that level of speed.

9. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I agree, if we CONCAF can air the U-20 matches, US soccer should be able to figure out how to give fans access to the entire matches. I will send an email also (I already sent an angry email about not publishing the Algarve roster).

10. bender63

bender63 New Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What happened to Natasha Kai?

11. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    She's probably still recovering from shoulder surgery.

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. My guess is that if she returns healthy and starts scoring at a regular clip in WPS play she'll get a camp call up. Don't know what it'll take to get Dowling another camp call....

13. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Maybe if she scores at a regular clip ? :D

14. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why isn't Rapinoe (Red Stars) on the roster? She was called up last year I recall.

15. tobinheathfan13

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    she missed most of camp (or all of it?) for illness, so she's probably either still recovering or not caught up enough to go to portugal.

16. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of illness is it?

17. tobinheathfan13

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. GK24

GK24 New Member

Feb 15, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I am interested to see how Meghan Schnur will do on the backline if she get's playing time.

19. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Meghan is a decent player that works hard. She was the only player to start and play all 20 games for Sky Blue. Pia has her listed as a defender rather than a midfielder. She is versatile and has a good read of the game like LePeilbet.

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember what her speed is like. Can you report on both her quickness and her speed? Thanks. I'm a bit concerned about the overall defensive speed on this roster.

21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Having watched Schnur a few times, I'd say she's better than decent, but I agree with your concept. I think Pia in general has a strong affinity for women who are good/decent but who work very hard and she rewards them. Lindsey, Schnur, Averbuch for me are all on this list. (so i Lloyd for that matter) I wouldn't want to pay a mid-field/defense with these players against any world class team.

22. GK24

GK24 New Member

Feb 15, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I saw two games this summer with her. I thought she played well and was very consistant. From third party information she has the ingredients of a midfielder. I hope to see she does well in the Algarve Cup.

23. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    well, we're soon to find out aren't we ...

24. athletica117

athletica117 New Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. tobinheathfan13

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmmm ironic indeed. I don't think this changes much, both are flank players with somewhat the same style...unless of course Pia was hoping to try Tobin as an attacking midfielder.