Algarve Cup (R)'s

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by DennisM, Jan 9, 2003.

1. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    do you know who paid her family expenses ( airline tickets etc ) during the trip ? does it on USSF expenses ? or her own? thanks.

2. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I believe USSF does- based on info on Joy's website.

At one point last year - Walt became the "team nanny" as he is referred to in the press releases (in addition to dad/super dad, etc). The USSF pays for the "nanny"'s flight/travel expenses- and in the past a $750/week salary. ... No idea if Walt receives the extra money as salary.

3. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    From Walt's fingers

As quoted from the first installment of the China Journal (4NT) - www.joyfawcett.com

"But before I go any further, both Joy and I need to extend a huge thank you to the team, staff and US Soccer for its unwavering support for our family. Without their support Joy would certainly not be playing right now and likely would have retired after Katey was born. But for those of you who don't know, US Soccer has allowed (and paid for) the children to travel on all of the road trips along with a nanny (which US Soccer also pays for). The support has always been 100%. So thanks Dr. Bob, Nils, April and the rest of the coaches, staff and players. Your support is tremendous and we thank you for it."

4. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    its probably what makes Joy Fawcett always has a full focus on the game, hopefuly she'll play up to as far as 40 years old without decreasing her quality of play.

5. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    There's an Algarve postcard from Siri Mullinix up at www.europeanwomenssoccer.com You can't link directly to the page, so I'm copying it below. Mods, if that's a problem, please edit appropriately.

Today's postcard is from goalkeeper Siri Mullinix.
    SIRI MULLINIX
    Height: 5-8
    Born: May 22, 1978
    Hometown: Greensboro, N.C.
    Club: Washington Freedom (WUSA)

We've been in Portugal for about a week now and the change in temperature from Washington D.C. was more than welcome. I spent the days before I got here in blizzard conditions and so far, it's been sunny and 77 on the southern coast of Portugal. The players who came from the east coast are really enjoying warm trainings on green grass and afternoons by the pool.

Today was "Madi Fawcett Hair Day" at training. 21-month-old Madi is Joy Fawcett's youngest girl, who often has her hair done in pigtails by her mom. The entire team put their hair in pigtails and some of our over-30 players could have passed for mid-20s. Tiffany Roberts looked like she could have played for the U.S. Under-16 Girl's National Team.

It's really very mellow here in the Algarve, most of the players spend their off-field time doing e-mail, watching movies on their DVD players, taking short walks through the town and playing with Joy Fawcett's kids. Five-year-old Carli Fawcett spent several hours with a few players building a Leprechaun Trap to catch one on St. Patrick's Day. According to Carli, while you may not see any Leprechauns in the USA, Portugal is crawling with them, you just have to build a good trap.

While we are having a good time off the field, we are focused on doing well in this tournament, especially after our tough draw with Canada yesterday. I played the second half and didn't have to make a save, but I was pretty active at the top of the penalty box, running down Canada's long balls and sending services to our front runners.

We really want to put on a better performance against Norway tomorrow and we know it will be another physical battle. We love the challenge of playing teams with different styles and the Algarve Cup is always great because we get to play the best teams in the world in a tournament situation.

We have several young players on this trip, including Heather O'Reilly, who is 18 years old, and is always good for daily entertainment. She is rooming with fellow New Jersey girl Christie Pearce, and apparently she has not been the most responsible roommate. When she is not taking the only key to the room and locking Pearce out for two hours, she somehow managed to leave the water running in the shower after she got out and then left the room. Christie thought she was taking an awfully long shower before realizing that Heather wasn't in there. Luckily, she didn't flood our hotel floor. Heather has promised not to lock Christie out again and to turn off the shower when she is done. That's about it from the Algarve, except giving a shout out to Mia Hamm, who is celebrating her 21st birthday (for the 10th time) on Monday.

Ciao,
    Siri

6. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    By the way, if you open the matchtracker screen and click on the "Media" tab (next to the "Matchtracker one), there are photos from the US-Canada match. Presumably US - Norway ones will also be posted.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Group A points after today's two matches (please correct me if I am wrong):

US: 4 points (one draw, one win)
    Canada: 2 points (two draws)
    Sweden: 2 points (two draws)
    Norway: 1 point (one draw, one loss)

In other matches today---

Canada 1:1 Sweden
    China 3:0 France
    Ireland 3:1 Wales
    Denmark 0:0 Finland
    Portugal 1:1 Greece

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If he was available, I'm wondering why we didn't use Tim Howard in net!

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  10. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Celebrate Children

I enjoyed the anecdotes..which is what they are.

Who knows what the training regimine is. I don't know that the public (some of it anyhow) would want to read technical details of training- oh, sure there are many who would, but.... isn't a bit or lot PR, too?

If nothing else, we learn a bit more about the interests of the players......

Besides it's a post card.. when I write them they are usually filled with phrases.. perhaps the occasional fact or interesting tidbit...

Hmm..to each his/her own.

PS Leprechaun traps are wonderful!... Carli's brilliant..and I'm glad to see the children's spirit shown so brilliantly (children in general, not Fawcetts Fab three)

11. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    Re: Re: Siri Postcard

Yes, there'd be NONE of that at a MEN'S tourney! They take these things totally seriously. They would only do manly things like carousing and whoring around.

sheeesh.

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: Re: Siri Postcard

No, the men are just as silly - playing nintendo and shopping and such. They just don't tell us about it.

13. piper

piper New Member

14. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    It worked for me earlier, Pipey, but now it's not letting me see it either.

15. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Re: Re: Siri Postcard

Luckily, I posted the whole thing a page back in this thread :D

16. piper

piper New Member

Re: Re: Re: Siri Postcard

As you can see, I read backpages... :p

Thanks!!