Algarve Cup 2020

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by flax, Nov 11, 2019.

1. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    I read that Sweden, Norway, Germany and Italy will be the seeded teams at Algarve in 2020. Denmark, Belgium and Portugal will also be there. Anyone know what other 5 teams are in? Noone ranked higher than Italy I assume (if they use the World Rankings for seeding), would mean no Netherlands, Canada or Spain this time.

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    There will be loads of tournament in Feb-March:
    SheBelieves, Algarve, Cyprus, Tournoi de France ( or whatever name it could be giventournoi du cinquantenaire), there must be a lot of negociations in progress right now.

59Amerinorsk, Mills and blissett repped this.
  3. Páll Guðmundsson

Valur FC
    Iceland
    Sep 14, 2018
    Reykjavík
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    Iceland will most likely take part as it has for the last 13 years.

sbahnhof and JanBalk repped this.
  4. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

Mills and blissett repped this.
  5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Apparently the full line-up

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I repped you both because you basically posted in the same moment.

Not that I will have the chance to attend this time, but doesn anyone have an idea of the exact dates?

7. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    FIFA window 2-11 March (max 3 games)

blissett repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Honestly if they're going to do an eight-team tournament with just three games, I hope they do a full "knockout ladder" tournament, no awkward group stage+playoffs format would work with those numbers... i.e. do a knockout tournament that goes in both directions all the time, where each round you're paired against someone who has the same record as you to date.

That is, if you have four seeded teams and they win their opening matches, you would have a 1-4 bracket with the seeded teams for rounds 2+3 as well as a 5-8 bracket that goes on as well to get full placements done.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  9. Páll Guðmundsson

Valur FC
    Iceland
    Sep 14, 2018
    Reykjavík
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    After 13 years of participation in the Algarve cup, Iceland has been left out in the cold. This comes a a major shock to the Icelandic football federation that now needs to rethink its strategy. This of course is also a major blow for womens soccer in Iceland only two years after defeating Germany in Germany and a new and exciting generation coming up. But the Icelandic football federation can not point fingers at anyone else but themselves. New direction and thinking is required.

59Amerinorsk and Lechus7 repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sad, especially if I think about the fact that just two years ago, in March 2017, I was greatly enjoying an Iceland-Japan match from the standings of the little stadium in Parchal, despite the wind and the rain. :unsure:

(Ok, I'll admit that I was especially enjoying it because Japan won by 2-0 and I got to meet my idol Aya Sameshima in person after the game :p).

I wish Iceland to come back soon in Algarve.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  11. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Maybe Iceland goes to the SheBelieves Cup?

Mills repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, they use to look for NTs a little higher up the rankings. On the other hand, there won't be many of them around at that time... :cautious:

13. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Too bad for Iceland, I always like their teams; they play hard.

sbahnhof and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  14. Denis McKee

Denis McKee New Member

Liverpool
    Canada
    Dec 11, 2019
    Canada will be playing in the CONCACAF Olympics qualifying tournament in late Jan. and early Feb. in the U.S.A. so it's probably too close to the Algarve Cup for them to compete in both tournaments. I'm going to miss seeing them play even though their new coach has stifled their former attacking play with disastrous results.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, for one, Canada (and the US) have never skipped out on a spring tournament for OG qualifying before - Canada played in Cyprus in 08 and 12, and played in Protugal in 16 (and the US always went to Portugal until they started hosting their own). For two, you missed some news: Canada will be playing in the Tournei de France alongside Brazil, Netherlands, and the hosts this coming March.

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I just now notice that both Italy and Denmark will attend Algarve Cup mere months before their deciding clashes in Group B of Euro 2021 qualifiers (that will happen in April, in Italy, and in June, in Denmark). Despite Denmark's massive goal difference, the fight for the direct qualification spot looks very open in that group.

I wonder if Italy and Denmark will end in a same group at Algarve and, in that case, if they're going to play their card close to their chest not to reveal too much of their strategies or if they will play an honest game counting on the potential confidence boost that a win in March could give for the subsequent matches.

17. Denis McKee

Denis McKee New Member

Liverpool
    Canada
    Dec 11, 2019
    Thanks for the update on Canada's involvement in the new tournament in France. The report only appeared on the Canada Soccer website 19 Dec. so you obviously have a better news source. This should be a valuable tournament for our team with challenging opponents like France, Netherlands and Brazil but I will miss seeing them play in the Algarve Cup. It's disappointing to see so many tournaments scheduled at the same time as the Algarve Cup, drawing away more of the top teams. However, it is also good news for all the national teams giving them more options to play more opponents and creating greater interest in the game world-wide.

Klingo3034, jnielsen and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  19. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    interesting draw in that they did not have the four top seeds play the four lower ranked team in the first round. NOR vs. DEN and ITA vs. POR did this but they simply should've swapped GER or SWE with NZL or BEL to make it "fairer".

blissett repped this.
  20. flax

flax Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Sweden
    Yeah a bit strange to have the 2 highest ranked teams meet straight away but I think both Germany and Sweden are happy that they get to play eachother in this tournament.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Called it! :D

22. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    :D This is gonna be awwwsome! A real tournament feeling, after the group/finals format was often a bit disjointed before, and the 2018 final was a washout.

And starting with a rematch of the World Cup quarter-final

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXjbs3BJ90
    [​IMG]

(Germany had won in Sweden in the teams' pre-WWC 2019 friendly in April. Seems like such a long time ago, now...)

[​IMG] [​IMG] Nice to see Denmark v Norway too, should be a great game.

59Amerinorsk, blissett and Mills repped this.
  23. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Squad news
    This is only provisional, for reasons that will become obvious...

Sweden - Man Utd's Lotta Ökvist comes in - Juventus defender Linda Sembrant stays in Italy due to the travel warnings over the coronavirus risk. Nilla Fischer and Anna Anvegård are also out, after lacking game time recently.
    https://damfotbollblog.wordpress.co...-angeldahl-in-rubensson-och-zigiotti-olme-ut/

Denmark - debuts for Caroline Møller and Janni Thomsen, but the travel warning stops Sofie Junge from participating. Nadia Nadim is injured.
    https://www.dbu.dk/nyheder/2020/feb...ter-kaemper-for-kvindelandsholdet-i-portugal/

Germany - midfielder Giulia Gwinn is back after injury
    https://www.sport1.de/fussball/frau...cklenburg-gibt-kader-fuer-algarve-cup-bekannt

Italy - travel concerns over coronavirus will mean the AC Milan players are missing the tournament, four of them including Valentina Giacinti, but the Inter Milan players will go to Portugal. This was the original squad:
    https://www.figc.it/en/national-tea...-in-the-algarve-cup-salvai-back-after-injury/

Belgium - the team gathered on Sunday. Tessa Wullaert is looking for redemption and tournament prep
    https://www.fifa.com/womens-football/news/wullaert-s-revived-red-flames-plot-redemption

New Zealand - new call-ups are FW Michaela Robertson and DF Marisa van der Meer
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/410517/milestones-for-football-ferns-at-algarve-cup

Portugal - The hosts will kick off against Italy. "In the list of 23 players released by the National Coach, the highlights are the debut of the CS Marítimo goalkeeper, Bárbara Santos, and the call-up of young internationals Francisca Nazareth of SL Benfica, and Andreia Jacinto of Sporting CP."
    https://www.fpf.pt/News/Todas-as-notícias/Notícia/news/26313

blissett repped this.
  24. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Oh, I should add, they've only got one Inter player, FW Stefania Tarenzi.

Quarter-finals:
    Wednesday 4 March 2020 (local time, GMT)

14:00​
    17:00​
    18:00​
    20:15​

25. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Algarve Cup matches will not be shown on German television.:(:mad:.I hope the viewers in other countries have more luck.

Mills repped this.