Alex Morgan - Deconstructed

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by thegamesthatrate, Mar 8, 2016.

1. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blah, blah, blah.
    • Throw a bunch of stats into an article that anyone on this Board can regurgitate.
    • Mix in a few juicy double entendres and H, while we're at it, why not some innuendos.
    • Then absolutely bury the only worthwhile statement that convinces me that (here, let me try) the so-called Adam Whittaker Snavely has watched more than 50-60 athletic events in his life - "she is the person defenses will focus on containing."
    And while you're at it, get your headline right - "Alex Morgan: The Woman, The Myth, The Legend".

Got a suggestion for Mr. Snavely, why don't you kneel, tilt your head slightly upward, pucker your lips and press them lovingly against my backside.

3. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better yet, against her backside.

As long as Morgan is still scoring goals, especially at clutch moments like the 91st minute of Sunday's game, I would really hesitate to use the term "past her prime". What truly makes Alex Morgan valuable to this team is more than a few injuries or a couple of years can deconstruct.

jackdoggy repped this.
  4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What the article really wants to know is why isnt Morgan magically creating goals out of nothing like she did back when the defenses keyed on Wambach? Ask a stupid question....

EbaJones, jackdoggy and Semblance17 repped this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No way, she's great.

jackdoggy repped this.
  6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The problem with the article is it is clearly pandering to get either Press or Dunn moved to starting forward but not giving a good reason. As I mentioned in my comment to the article, the goal difference is just an illusion. If u sit down and figure it starting at WC and just using those matches plus the quality team sinse Morgan, Lloyd and Dunn each have 3 goals to lead the team with Press, Rapinoe and Heath on two. And sorry, PKs and set pieces dont enter into it. If Sauerbrunn was the designated PK taker for the team no one would be touting she needs to play forward based on those goals. If Johnston had the most goals off set pieces the same would be true.

For me a better argument against Morgan getting all these minutes is that she really isnt ur typical one front forward. She doesnt tend to earn many chances playing back to goal and seems much more comfortable out in space facing the goal. Instead the article is determined to ASSume that if u gave Press or Dunn equal minutes against quality teams they would produce more goals. The reason most goals seem to come late against quality is less about the starters and more about wearing down the defense so it likely doesnt matter who starts unless the offense improves enough to offer easy scoring chances against quality team regardless of the time in the match.

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Morgan is the best lone forward we got now.

jackdoggy repped this.
  8. Michael Gibson

Dec 23, 2014
    I think an interesting experiment would be Morgan on the left in a 4-3-3 formation with Press at center and Dunn on the right. The decisions at midfield would be tricky (depending on how they lined up) but I could see Brian, Lloyd, and Heath. The back line would stay the same. This line-up would also allow Pugh to be the supersub that can replace either Morgan or Dunn (or she could replace Morgan on the left so that Morgan shifts to center...Press to the bench). If Lloyd is looking clunky, Pugh could also come in and be the attacking mid.

exref repped this.
  9. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This line sums up Morgan's situation: "She is now the headliner; she is the person defenses will focus on containing." And, that is exactly what is occurring. It is often Morgan against the entire back 4 of the other team. Very few strikers can score consistently in such a predicament. Barring a strategic offensive change from the coach, what remains to be seen is whether or not Morgan can stay relevant by varying her game to improve her hold up play and include killer assists in her bag full of tricks.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Morgan relevance may hinge on how often the other attackers score while she occupies the defense

jackdoggy and exref repped this.
  11. KHenry14

KHenry14 Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez, Alex has really come around in the last few months. Her form is excellent, like the goal she scored against Germany today.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    CoachJon repped this.
  13. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    It was nice seeing Morgan stand on the podium to accept her awards. She was probably thinking hopefully the past few years of injury and recovery are behind me now.

BrooklynSoccer and Semblance17 repped this.
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call "drop the mic." BTW it doesn't show on that clip, but I absolutely loved her stand up with fists down and hair over her face after she got up from the ground.

15. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have very limited experience, but I don't think I'd ever seen a player get the golden boot and the golden ball at the same tournament before last night. The announcer continued to mention the golden boot and golden ball winners as if they were two separate people. Crystal Dunn struggled to hold just the golden boot trophy at CONCACAF Olympic qualifying ( http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/us/wnt.php?article_id=43880 ) so it was almost comical to see Morgan carrying around both.

Someone at the game last night mentioned that she's probably running out of room in her trophy case. Fortunately I imagine there's plenty of empty space she can use in Servando's trophy case at the Carrasco residence.

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not sure Ive ever seen 2 goals get the golden boot before.

lil_one and taosjohn repped this.
  17. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought of that too.

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame France ;)

EbaJones and CoachJon repped this.
  19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what about a tournament in which one player scores 28.6% of all goals scored?

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    22.2%?

Germany had four, we had four, and England one? Or were you discounting the PK and the OG?

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #21 Cliveworshipper, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

I'm older ( and born in Argentina) Mario Kempes won both and the World Cup for Agentina in 1978. this was before Maradona.

But on the Women's side, it's more the rule than the exception. Looking just at World Cups, Sun Wen won the ball and shared the shoe ( with Sissi ) in 1999, Birgit Prinz won both in 2003, and Marta won both in 2007. Homare Sawa won both in 2011. Carly would have shared the shoe as well as won the boot if they didn't introduce the minutes-played tie breaker.

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Not quite right. England a scored two goals in the Germany match.

23. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I always have a question: Why didn't Akers win Golden Ball in 1991?

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Considering how few goals were scored by the attackers from four of the best teams in the world, maybe a defender should have gotten the Golden Boot.

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    They did? Was it a tie?

The report I saw had it 1-2... or are you counting the OG?