Alejandro Bedoya signs with swedish Örebro SK

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by david_c, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david_c

david_c Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Sweden
    Found this today, Bedoya was on trial with Örebro SK this spring and the club seemed to be impressed and the club decided to sign him. Bedoya is 21 years old, his position is midfield or winger.

http://www.orebro-sk.se/default.asp?id=24445

2. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    Re: Alejandro Bedoya sign with swedish Örebro SK

Bedoya is a real quality player. I was hoping he'd go to MLS and help replace some of the leaving players, but oh well.

I'm sure he'll impress.

How quality is Orebro,

and, oh, cheers for the info.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

Good catch and thanks. If last season was any indication, could be a busy winter for Yanks heading to Scandinavia.

4. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006

More like Charlie Davies has set the stage for Swedish clubs scouting Boston College particularly. Don't forget, Ayarna went to GAIS and now Bedoya. IIRC Manswell went on trial in Sweden after the NCAA season last year too.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Good for Bedoya.

He'll make way more there than he would as an MLS rookie. And the exposure and experience won't hurt, either.

He was one of the better senior mids in college ball and, depending on the number of GAs, either a mid-to-late 1st round pick or early second rounder.

BTW, I seem to recall reading Bedoya's folks (or at least father) was Peruvian but I could be mistaken and they are Colombian.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Is he a US citizen? Or is this another Tom Parratt scenario, and we're not really talking about a YA here. I honestly don't know.

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is from the Miami area and played for various US YNTs.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2007/10/17/a_change_has_done_him_good/

Here's an article from last year on Alejandro. His father, Adriano, played at Fairleigh Dickinson but that doesn't insure Alejandro is a citizen. His pops could have come over to play college soccer. But he was called into some pre-Olympic camps according to this article so I'd say it's safe to assume he's a citizen.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

From the Globe article:

Oh, and it appears SideFootSitter was right about Bedoya being of Colombian herritage.

From a different Globe article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2007/11/27/eagles_given_a_little_kick/

11. Svampen

Svampen New Member

Dec 9, 2008

Hello.

I'm a Örebro SK supporter and were searching for some info about our new player when I stumbled onto this forum.

Seems to be a decent find. But I do hope that Bedoya adjusts to European soccer faster then Charlie Davids. When that guy signed on for Hammarby the media were all over it saying they signed this huge up and coming star. But when the season started he became pretty much the laughing stock of the league. The guy couldn't do anything other then run fast. It took like a year and a half for him to adjust and now he scores regularly, and he even got some attention from bigger leagues in Europe.

This is a long shoot but anyway, does anyone here have a link to a video were I can se Bedoya in action? I'm having trouble finding anything.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

That's NCAA soccer at its finest.

Your hope with Bedoya rests in the supposition that many kids of the Latino immigrants emulate the style of their ancestors - often by playing against other immigrants in pick-up/street matches - rather than the kick&chase style of the US colleges.

As to videos, I doubt many exist. Perhaps someone from Boston College has a few.

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bedoya doesn't have nearly the reputation of Davis. Of course, Örebro doesn't have the reputation of Hammarby.

14. Svampen

Svampen New Member

Dec 9, 2008

HAHAHA! Didn't realized that Swedish soccer were that well known in the states. So you know all about the clubs then? :rolleyes:

Well, we will see if the guy measures up when he gets here.

15. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Never seen a game of Swedish soccer in my life, so no, I don't think Swedish soccer is that well known. I have never seen Bedoya play either. Which is why I used in the word "reputation" both with respect to Hammarby versus Örebro and Bedoya versus Davis.

P.S. Are you disputing that Hammarby is not a "bigger" club than Örebro ?

16. Svampen

Svampen New Member

Dec 9, 2008

Hammarby as one of the teams from Stockholm naturally gets more attention then us (Örebro is a much smaller city). But historically the two clubs have almost the same merits, following each other in the marathon table (the combined statistics of every game since the start of the league). So there ain't that much difference between the clubs on the field, but Hammarby have a slightly larger fan base (beeing a Stockholmclub and all) although they only have about 2000 more in average at their home games.

And we did finishahead of them this season. :)

Sorry for getting of topic.

17. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't worry about it. Always good to have a local perspective. Many of us just get to see a game here and there on the computer. Its not always easy to catch the little things (or to understand what the announcers are saying :D). I hope that you can provide us with some firsthand accounts of how Alejandro is playing (assuming he sees the field much).

And welcome to BS.

18. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bedoya has been getting tips from Charlie Davies on how to play in Sweden.

http://www.soccer365.com/us_news/story_231208190117.php

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

And this is another usually omitted factor - having a trailblazer, who can pass down the advice to the next guy.

I am sure these Swedish league coaches look at the US now and think, "Give me a quality athlete and I'll have him playing a Ligue 1 quality ball in two years time. Whether he can play at the moment is irrelevant. I want an athlete, a hard worker, a bit of a brain and a good attitude. I can mold the rest".

20. rct2009

rct2009 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    NY/Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why do you think its just that NCAA soccer is bad...imagine if tommorow you are transplanted to sweeden. All the media expects you to perform your job to your fullest, when you never had this much exposure in your life, and now you have to find a home, learn a new language, get used to a new team, and most importantly, eat new food. I think it makes sense for a guy to take some time getting used to a place, and just cause some do it faster or slower has little to do with the previous league he played in. Also maybe there were family issues...remember Thierry Henry played badly last year, and he finally admitted it was because he couldnt see his daughter...maybe Davies missed his parents and or girlfriend or something....who knows.

21. rct2009

rct2009 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    NY/Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why do you think its just that NCAA soccer is bad...imagine if tommorow you are transplanted to sweeden. All the media expects you to perform your job to your fullest, when you never had this much exposure in your life, and now you have to find a home, learn a new language, get used to a new team, and most importantly, eat new food. I think it makes sense for a guy to take some time getting used to a place, and just cause some do it faster or slower has little to do with the previous league he played in. Also maybe there were family issues...remember Thierry Henry played badly last year, and he finally admitted it was because he couldnt see his daughter...maybe Davies missed his parents and or girlfriend or something....who knows.

22. rct2009

rct2009 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    NY/Bloomington, IN
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Swedish league coaches often have no say in which foreign players the club chose to pick up... The clubs usually sign cheap Brazilians and hope to "win the lottery", mainly because the wages in Sweden are so small that they are not even able to match MLS wages... If the foreigners are any good they soon move to Holland or Denmark where the $$ is much bigger..

24. sostoked

sostoked Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Denver
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not quite sure it's that easy. both Davies and Bedoya had stints with youth national teams. But then again, hundreds of players have

25. Svampen

Svampen New Member

Dec 9, 2008

I'm putting up some videos for anyone that's interested.

First is an interview with Alejandro Bedoya.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SPJEXL0OVM"]YouTube - Interview with Alejandro Bedoya[/ame]

And another with some goals by Örebro SK from the last couple of years.
    [ame="http://www.vimeo.com/2758876"]Beautiful Black ? Wonderful White on Vimeo[/ame]