Alcatraz - Season 1 (Beginnings Jan. 16, 2012)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Felixx219, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone plans on checking this out? I have high hopes for the series hoping that it can be a solid series that captures at least some of what LOST was able too. Network TV is getting their ass kicked by cable networks as far as quality is concerned.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am.

Have a reminder set up, it's scheduled to record, and all that ... will probably have a hard time getting past the fact that Jorge Garcia is not Hurley, though.

[​IMG]

The realist in me says that I'll have the same experience with this as I did with Fringe ... love the show, really try to follow it, get a backlog of DVRed episodes, miss out on a good portion of the season, feel like it's too late to catch up, have all intentions to rent/buy DVD box set, etc. :eek:

3. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like this show. It reminds me of the X-Files in some ways. They have a "case of the week" for the majority of the time with a few sprinkled "arc" episodes at the beginning and end of the season with a few sprinkled in the middle. Too bad FOX is probably going to cancel it :(

4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I started off with high hopes for this one but a few episodes in and the whole capturing one convict per week formula just isn't doing much for me. The backgrounds of each convict aren't that interesting and their eventual captures are so expected that you don't care much about the action leading up them.

This show doesn't have 1/10th the character development that Lost did, and the mysterious nature of things pales in comparison as well.

I've heard it's doing pretty well for Fox though so maybe it could turn into something better. But then again, I had high hopes for Flash Forward too.

5. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been in decline ever since the first week. Week 1 had 10.05 million viewers and by week 7 it's gone down to 5.98 million. They somewhat depend on House for a strong lead-in for Alcatraz. Although, Acatraz is usually 1-1.5 million less than House which is pretty decent actually. What that tells us is that Alcatraz shares the same fans as House. If that's the case then if Alcatraz came out 2 or 3 seasons ago, it would have a much bigger following and the ratings would be much higher. FOX should move it after Idol if they want to have more ratings.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i watched the first three or four episodes with high hopes.

i'm canceling the season pass on my Tivo.

7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read today that this is most likely going to get canceled at the end of the season unless there is a drastic increase in ratings.

8. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Alcatraz - Season 1

So I'm thinking that these guys are staying young cause of some radical experiments that the government was testing on inmates in the 50's. I'll be pissed if the reason they "disappeared" and came back decades later the same is because they were abducted by aliens LOL