Akron Zips 2016: #2ndStar

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by fknbuflobo, Jan 1, 2016.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the College Cup run was great. Many of the older players were still recruited while Porter was there (don't have the numbers, but I'm sure many were committed before Embick took over).

I just don't see the recruits coming in like they had -- IMG guys, USYNT guys, and top recruits in the country. Now, it's hard to replicate that when Porter had his ties that he did.

Porter's last season (2012) they had one international player. This season there were 12. That tells me one thing, there's some struggle in recruiting top-level domestic players. The move towards more international rosters can be thought of as being more "competitive" players with more experience. Sure. I don't see that being the case here. At least in the DI tournament, it's seemed to me that rosters are lesser international than domestic with successful teams.

Maybe I'm wrong. I would love to see Embick be successful, like I said...I like his story. But, I just don't see the same team on the field. Especially with the comments of "This was a sloppily played match, but entertaining nonetheless. Zips were sleepwalking through portions of the contest." That was the story of the season. Even in the College Cup run, I wasn't overly impressed by the level and standard of play.

OverseasView and fknbuflobo repped this.
  2. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took down the A-Roo flag, folded it, put it away. Too early! Zips were supposed to still be playing after Thanksgiving. Coming off last campaign, 2016 held much promise.
    Key injuries, bad luck, and critical dismissal of our cornerstone DMF, all but killed the season.

3. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Soccer fan definition? Suffering during the game, hoping during the remaning time.....

fknbuflobo repped this.
  4. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeremy Pollard posted this on Instagram today...

jeremy_pollard Looking back at the past year in Akron I couldn't of asked for a it to have been any better. The people I met will forever have a place in my heart and so will Akron soccer. I've made life long friends and I can honestly say this has been the greatest year of my life so far. Unfortunately it's time to move on from Akron towards a new chapter in my life, but I will always remember my brothers in blue and gold who helped me become a better player and person everyday. Good luck to you all in the future, I'm sure we will meet again. And you know what they say ... it's always a great day to be a zip ⚽️ #reggieisstillugly

Pollard has transferred to Grand Canyon.

5. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a sadder note, boyhood friends and team mates are parting ways. Not yet sure where Anthony Macchione is transferring.

Niko De Vera is staying:

nikookin30"You know our presence but you don't know our history"-G.S
    It's been real man. Growing up and playing with you basically my whole life. We've been through a lot together. Sad it has to come to an end but excited for your future. Go kill it brother. #portlandboys

6. CreightonMCFCjoey

Jan 30, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Macchione to Creighton? Good. Really good kid. Sorry to see him go.

8. CreightonMCFCjoey

Jan 30, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good to hear, what was his deal this year, didn't see him appear all too often?

9. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he got nicked up during summer ball, fell behind in rotation, then decided to redshirt. As it turned out, he would have played down the stretch but for red shirting. Good person to have on a team.

Better on ball played into space than ball played to his feet, not a stereotypical Zip. 6'3". Hustles.

CreightonMCFCjoey repped this.
  10. CreightonMCFCjoey

Jan 30, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate your insight

11. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    fknbuflobo repped this.
  12. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you know on this player? Sigma FC has yet to send us a bad player.

13. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your interest in Akron Zips Soccer is appreciated.
    Please continue in 2017 thread.

14. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Do you have a loyalty card scheme? I would love to gain points to be able to get freebies...:geek:

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such action must first be presented to, and approved by, a simple majority of the Board Of Directors.

OverseasView repped this.