Pre-match: AJAX - Twente: The Johan Cruijff-schaal 30-07-2011

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by JC-14, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Personally I think the Berghuis call was a make up for the screwball call on the Janssen shirt grab. Neither should have been called. Agree with DRB300 on FdB playing for the start of the season. It's why Vertonghen didn't play and with him in there the team is a lot different. The Ruiz goal was indirectly Oojier's fault after Blind made a poor attempt to stop him.

2. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I found Ooijer guilty of the Ruiz goal as well. He should have pressured there instead of just running towards the goal and giving Ruiz more space. He knows Ruiz uses his right leg only to stand on so he only had to prevent him from having an open shot on goal with his left leg. Very weak.

When Vertonghen is back it would be an even bigger mistake to use Janssen as DM btw, since that would basically make Vertonghens passing ability useless.

3. Twefoju

Twefoju Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Bali, Indonesia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    yeah, Jan were certainly missed, as well as Anita, i think Siem didn't do much good in the midfield, even Siggy were seen much more in the action than Siem

still, a heart breaking loss, oh well, now lets just look forward to the Season

4. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Seriously? That was a fair penalty in my opinion. It doesn't matter that the ball wouldn't have reached him.

Berghuis got hit, wasn't a schwable and might even have been another penalty.

5. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I only watched the YouTube highlight, but once again I am with Paga. Players tug shirts all the day long, but in this incident Theo was all over Luuk and it was blatantly obvious. Also, looked like Theo tried to trip out Luuk even before the shirt pulling. Correct decision. The Berghuis decision I am indifference. I couldn't tell what happened from the angle I saw. Seemed like Berghuis was fouled and the decision could have been going the other way.

6. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The thing with the Berghuis red card was that close up replay shows he was off his feet and going down before Boileson made contact. Would have been a penalty had he stayed on his feet. Close call but looked like it was the right one to me.

7. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think that dive from Berghuis was pretty similar to what Siem de Jong did in the championship game last season. Didn't have many options and no chance in hell to score a goal, saw someone coming and fell before he even felt something. I don't think that deserves a penalty.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    There was physical contact and intention to bring him down. That would've been a penalty nine out of ten times. The only thing with Berghuis is that he's young and inexperienced and doesn't know how to make the most out of a situation like that.

Never mind, thankfully it did not have a deciding impact on the game.

Two things decided this game. One, Ruiz was the only player on the pitch last night that truly stood out and truly had the ability to decide it. Two, the subbing, which with all due respect was silly from the Ajax end, and was good by contrast from Adriaanse. To then hear De Boer say he was saving his best players for the crucial game against De Graafschap next week, I don't even know what to make of that. Twente has a massive game in three days time with a lot of money riding on it. So unlike Twente players, Ajax players aren't up for two games in a week?? Smells like a sore loser to me. Another thing that bothered me was Eriksen refusing to acknowledge Adriaanse after the game, not shaking his hand and not looking him in the eye at the winners line-up. I do hope De Boer tells him off for it, that is not the type of behaviour you want to condone in a youngster.

While the game as such was fairly meaningless I have to say my jaw dropped at the post match reactions overall. The Ajax attitude remains totally alien to me, and to be honest I don't think it's helping them much. Twente has picked up where it's left off, and that's being effective. Twente does not need to dominate a match to win it. If De Boer is complaining about that, what in god's name does he expect his opponents in the CL will be like.

I'm not bigging up Twente here, obviously there's a lot to work on at our end. But while our management fully agrees there's plenty of room for improvement, it seems Ajax, as usual, are blaming a loss on bad luck. Where this is coming from I really do not know. Ajax lalaland.

9. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Boileson pulled up while he was sliding into the tackle and Berghuis was going down before Boileson even touched him. Berghuis just needs to try to stay on his feet or take some lessons from Luuk on how be more convincing.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They also have a friendly with Almere City on the schedule for this Wednesday though reserves may see the action there. FdB is correct in that this match really doesn't matter (if it did Vertonghen would have played). Same as last year's which really didn't matter in the great cosmic scheme of things. Hey, even your captain says they were outplayed so go figure. My only take away from the match is that Daley Blind is just not good enough (but I pretty much knew that from last year).

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We were outplayed yet won. With ten men. In Amsterdam.

Bottom line being that the Twente reaction to this game was that they feel there was a lot of room for improvement. Meanwhile Ajax think they were brilliant and think on the basis of this game they'll win the league easily. Am I missing something here? If Twente can beat Ajax while not playing well, what does this mean? Twente has Ruiz, who do you think your potential CL opponents will have?

Ajax still aren't focusing on their own weaknesses. The problems at Twente to me are blatantly obvious, as they are to Twente management. Ajax meanwhile make the impression, as per usual, that they think they're the greatest team in the world even after losing at home to ten men. Seriously it is baffling to me.

12. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you look at the substitutions Ooijer > Boilesen, Anita > Van der Wiel and Boerrigter > Sightorsson you might (but probably don't) notice that none of these are tactical substitutions. As Frank de Boer explained in the post match interview, those 3 guys had shorter pre-season and the substitutions were planned pre-match.

That you find the subs by Adriaanse brilliant is pretty laughable. He took off 2 attackers and put on a midfielder + Ruiz. BRILLIANT. Who could have thought?

Eriksen behaves perfectly fine. I don't think he needs to be corrected on anything. You probably saw it wrong.

What I find jawdropping is that when even your own coach admits Twente got played off the park, that they weren't able to execute their game plan in pressuring Ajax and that the better team lost; Frank de Boer is not allowed to say Ajax were unlucky and played a good match. Crazy.

Typical post from you after a win again.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Can you point to one quote from FdB where he said anything resembling that? He's the only one that counts. Certainly we armchair pundits on BigSoccer don't.

Absolutely nothing; just like last season.

And these are? We've had just a bunch of friendlies to date and some players were given extra time off (Lodeiro hasn't even had a practice session because of the Copa America). To make any judgement on what these mean for the actual season is laughable. I could just as easily say that Twente won't win a single game unless Ruiz is in the lineup. That would be foolish, just as your statement was

If you get that impression from anyone, it's not only baffling but delusional. Can you point to any single person on the planet who has said (or even thinks) that Ajax are the greatest team in the world? Heck, I'll just be satisfied if next spring we can say we are the best team in the Eredivisie but you certainly won't hear me saying this today or even in December or January or February. I've been pretty prescient the last several years in saying that the title will be settled on the last match day. I see no reason why this cannot happen again this year. Sure I think Ajax have a great chance to win it just as any fan would but I don't engage in hyperbole. Basta!

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Again why in god's name does De Boer think his starters need A WEEK's rest for a game against De Graafschap?! By contrast Twente have a game in three days coming up with millions riding on it?

That's the whole point I was trying to make wasn't it. Adriaanse believes there's a lot of improvement work to be done, yet he won. De Boer thinks things are great at Ajax despite losing. Schiet mij maar lek.

When you seriously look at the game, Ajax was great outside of the 16 metres, but that's where it stopped. Douglas and Wisgerhof, while diabolical in build-up play, like nothing more than being old school defenders. How many chances did Ajax really create then? I mean REAL chances?

Twente went up early in the game. You probably disagree but this Twente does not actually mind leaning back in the knowledge that Ajax have no real muscle up front.

I'm willing to bet that Ajax will put a bid in for Ruiz next week.

15. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    All of this has been explained by Frank de Boer in his post match interview. I suggest you watch it again because you couldn't be spouting bigger bullshit.

http://nos.nl/video/260583-de-boer-les-in-effectiviteit.html

He talks about playing well, getting taught a lesson in effectiveness, he faults the defenders for several mistakes, he faults the attackers in the second half for not maintaining their calm and for throwing long balls towards Douglas and Wisgerhof. He concludes with saying that it's a shame we lost but he saw positive things as well.

And we have more muscle up front than the team that beat you 3-1 and became league champions. So I'm glad you're comfortable.

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Toby Alderweireld has literally said he believes Ajax are pretty certain to win the league on the basis of this game.

Í would have no problem with anyone at Ajax saying that they're a title candidate. Clearly, they are, and along with PSV seeing the money they've spent, they are the top two favourites, as usual. I just can't believe the lack of self-criticism from the Ajax camp. Every single loss to Twente over the past three years has been put down to bad luck. Do me a bloody favour. Twente has won four out of the five most recent prizes to be won in the Dutch league. Yet still we hear from De Boer and Ajax players that it was all down to bad luck and if there was one team who deserved to win it it was Ajax. From a Twente perspective mind this is all good news. As long as Ajax can't face its own weaknesses Twente will be, as the Dutch saying goes, a lice in your pelt.

17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So you're seriously suggesting Twente was the better team yesterday?

[​IMG]

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't get your focus on Twente. If you can't beat a down to ten men Twente I have no idea where your confidence in Ajax comes from, sorry. You're missing killers up front and you're missing muscle at the back. It's probably good enough to give you a real chance of winning the Dutch league. But it in no means makes you a real favourite to win the Dutch league, let alone do well in the CL. Again that's why I don't get the sour comments by De Boer. If de Boer wants to concentrate on attributing losses to bad luck, your beloved Ajax is in trouble. This Twente by contrast is by no means a perfect team but at least our coach admits to that.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Eh? I never said that. We were the most effective team though. As football is not a jury sport, that does seem rather important.

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Again define the weakness. FdB has been manager for just over a half a season and when the chips were on the line, which team emerged victorious? I repeat, which team won?

FdB's comments were measured and he congratulated Co as well.

21. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You couldn't be further from the truth with everything you said.

-That entire post I made was about Ajax, not Twente.
    -Watch the video like I said. Frank de Boer doesn't blame bad luck, he blames mistakes.
    -Sour comments?? Like which?

Pretty rich coming from you blaming the Ajax crowd for not being critical btw. While at the same time you blame us for being too critical because Ajax no longer plays a role of significance in Europe. And on the other side I have never, since I've been here, heard you say anything negative or critical about Twente at all.

22. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What changed?

23. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    No they weren't measured, they were sour. He said one team attacked yet Twente created two chances and scored from those. Like I said, never mind Twente. This type of thing happens all the time in European football, against better opponents than Twente. We're going to see a lot of sour De Boer comments in the CL season that's for certain.

24. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nope, while it would be a true statement, Frank de Boer did not say that. Are you incapable of speaking the truth?

25. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The Dutch posters here know what I'm on about. They've all seen the post match comments by both the Twente and the Ajax side. You're lying if you don't see a difference in attitude between the two. The winning side has said they feel embarrassed about the quality of play from their end. The losing side has said they were dominant and felt the only team that deserved to win this was Ajax. You know that this was said, and how childish is it of you to try and discredit me as a poster in denying it. I'm not bothered by any of it. To tell you the truth it makes me feel increasingly positive about the Twente season. As long as Ajax feel all high and mighty that increases Twente's chances big time. I hope PSV feel the same as Ajax.

Not a game goes by that Twente management does not criticise itself. Not a game goes by that Ajax management does not big itself up. The same applies to Feyenoord and to a lesser extent PSV. If you don't see how this all is massively benefitting Twente then good luck to you in the new season, you'll have a hard time coping with all these other clubs, not just Twente.