Ajax (JOB) Champions League draw

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Selecao2002, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    UEFA just held Champions League draw, and Ajax was sent to Group D along with Inter Milan, Olympique Lyonnais and Rosenborg BK. All in all, a favorable draw for Ajax and JOB, who should be able to make it through to the next round.

2. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    You might be interested in this write-up of Ajax's chances, and opponents, in this draw:

http://www.ajax-usa.com/ajax/news/02-03/0829.html

Also note: (my hero) Jari Litmanen is returning to Ajax, just in time for more Champions League glory (we hope).

3. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jari to Ajax is sweet sweet sweet. He will thrive at Ajax as they are a club that can really appreciate his style of play. I think this makes Ajax a contender for the Champion's League Title, maybe.

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Ajax has every chance to go deep in the CL this year. The addition of Jari is fabulous for them. Everytime he played for 'Pool last year it seemed he was scoring a huge goal for them. Plus he won the CL with Ajax last time he was with them. However, he addition, probably adds further limits to the amount of midfield time JOB gets.

5. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Ajax (JOB) Champions League draw

Why would Litmanen going to Ajax limit JOB's midfield role? JOB is more defensive-minded, at least in Ajax's system, then Litmanen would be.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Litmanen's return will have zero effect on O'Brien's playing time. They play two completely different roles for Ajax.

7. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Still one player has to make room... Rumours here are that it will in fact be JOB. Time will tell.