Ajax 2015-16: What Will Frank Do?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax cant even beat a semi-pro team from Norway anymore. This is very, very sad

2. I didnot see it, but your ratings give me more the feeling that they didnot want to be on the pitch at all.

3. Oranje Leeuwen

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^^^
    At the moment I get the feeling that the players are playing too much like mercenaries and not enough as a team. I see very little cohesion or understanding amongst them. You can tell from all the misplaced passes and the movements of the player receiving the pass will start making a different run. There's just no understanding of each other. The players all seem to be on different wavelengths and have their own agenda rather than playing for the team. No passion.

4. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    One should ask if maybe a change of managers will do the trick

I personally would like to see Klivert given a chance he seems hungry confident and his CV is starting to look better and he has done wonders for Curacao

5. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    IMHO Milik is too slow and only way he can thrive in a system is with constant passes being played to him from the wings and the center I don't watch Ajax alot but my wife watches alot of eredivisie but this team has quality some very raw talent that I have no doubt will bloom

When Fisher is on he is quite the player also I like Nouri I'm glad he is getting called up to the seniors but IMHO this team is far too thin to make a proper run even if the progressed

Cheers

6. Oranje Leeuwen

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah there is definitely quite a lot of talent in the squad. But this team is so young and will take a couple years to gel as a unit and for the talents start to have more consistency before we start getting good results (and a new manager would probably help too). I have high hopes for Bazoer, van de Beek, Younes, and Nouri in particular. I think when the 97-98 talents break into the first team, they'll already have that understanding with how each other plays. We have a bright future but I'm an optimist and clearly our playing style needs to be sorted first.

7. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kluivert would be an interesting choice.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax have faced this type of defense quite a bit since FdB has been manager and never solved it. They always resort to long diagonal passes from one of the back four and these are too soft and easily intercepted. One way to break this down is an over the top pass but this requires a striker who is quick to release and can stay onside. Milik never quite gets this right.

I'm not sure about the two concluding sentences above, I do think the players have passion but they are also easily frustrated. Look at all the shots from 30 meters when they could not create any spaces in the Molde defense. Gudelj is the only one who came close when his rocket hit the crossbar; all the other shots were wildly off target. I think these guys want to win matches but they are ill prepared by the training staff. I will again ask the question I've posed so many times before, "what is Dennis Bergkamp's role with this club?" Here's a guy who knew how to create space and score yet I see no evidence of him having any impact on this team.

9. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Bergkamp probably played a role to bring Sanogo...

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Great Response, could be right!:thumbsup:

11. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I watched the game today and what a shit performance

FdB has gotten to comfortable

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well deserved 1-0 loss to Utrecht today. FdB got the tactics completely wrong and stubbornly refused to do anything about it. If the Ajax management had any spine at all, FdB would be sacked because of the European and league performance so far this year. Sure they will stay in first place because of goal differential if Feyenoord win but this is just unacceptable football by any measure. You don't play a three man back line without wingbacks and putting two midfielders in those positions was a recipe for failure. Neither Serero or Bazoer did anything to show that they could adapt to the situation.

Why is it that this team cannot recognize potential double teams? They are too slow on the ball and with little or no movement into open spaces there is no opportunity to create chances on goal. This might be OK if there were players who could see how to counter attack but that's also totally absent.

With the wasted money on transfers and the Sanogo loan I'm sure that the management will be reluctant to buy out FdB's contract. We will see lifeless football the rest of this season and this club deserves to finish back in the pack.

Player Ratings:

FdB (0) - got it wrong from the get go and continued to see it out, wrong formation and tactics

Cillessen (6) - made a couple of good saves and had no chance on Ayoub's goal
    Riedewald (5) - did OK playing on the left side of a three man defense and had one nice run up the field
    Veltman (5) - OK on defense but too many wasted over the top passes
    Tete (5) - decent enough on defense but had no clue what to do with the ball when he was in the offensive half
    Gudelj (4.5) - semi-good today but gave up the ball cheaply a couple of times
    Klaassen (4) - this guy is the captain of the squad? totally MIA
    Serero (3.5) - totally lost at sea in this match
    Bazoer (3.5) - maybe not all his fault but had no clue about what was going on
    Younes (5) - average shift in the first half before being subbed off
    Milik (4) - needed service, didn't get it, cannot play without someone providing help up front
    el Ghazi (3.5) - had the one hard shot on goal but right at the keeper
    Fischer (4) - did little at all
    Schöne (5) - OK coming on late
    van de Beek (5) - had a couple of good passes and right now he's better than any of the other MFs

This is just disgusting and cannot be allowed to stand. Ajax Board members, DO THE RIGHT THING; SACK de Boer!!!!!!

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Because all of his friends are on the Board and he knows he won't get sacked. Any other team performing like this one in Europe and in the league would see the manager out quickly.

14. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree on your assesment @Orange14 but the lack of a striker is a big issue

Milik is good player if he has a good supporting cast but with raw talent and inconsistency in players like Fisher and Klassen it's pointless to even play him as he can't create anything on his own.

Frank de Boer has been dreadful inot making decisions but one has to blame the Ajax Board on the lack of recruiting.

Also players like Zivkovic who is on loan could be very handful big changes are needed and it starts at the top

Ajax still has a great Academy but needshe to improve its transfer policy and scouting of player that are older as prime players

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Milik does well with Poland but he's partnered with Lewandowski up front so he has a lot of help.

Ajax have brought in loan players but they have been failures. Cuenca was coming off an injury and only played a couple of games. Bojan was nothing special. It's best not to talk about Sanogo at all as he's absolutely dreadful

Well they did this in the past bringing in Huntelaar and Suarez who both scored bunches of goals. Now the club is content to bring in players like Sinkgraven, Viergever, Serer0, van der Hoorn and for old time memories Heitinga (who the club claimed not to understand why he is now too slow).

CDPontaDelgada repped this.
  16. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Feyenoord draw against Groningen 1-1

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Play poor football and stay in first place, that's de Boer's plan for the rest of the season. We could have played Cerny, Nouri, van de Beek, Dekker and done a better job with these young players than those who started the match.

EDIT: It's amazing to read FdB's remarks after losses. He blames everyone except for himself. He said that the match today was a game of chess. It was only because he doesn't prepare his team to win. How can this behavior be tolerated.

JC-14 repped this.
  18. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Ajax will use Klaassen and Gudelj until the end of the season in order to sell them. It's always the same in dutch clubs, you have some players that should necessarly play for financial interests.

19. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My prediction is that they hold onto both of these players because they don't deem the offers they get to be high enough. Klaassen might actually be sold, but I see Gudelj being a classic case of them holding onto the player trying to get a better ROI, until he eventually leaves on a free after a year of not being permitted to play since he wouldn't extend his contract and no one would pay money for him with a year left on his deal.

Don't forget they spent 3m for Theo Janssen, and also bought Boerrigter and Sigthorsson. I believe they sold Sigthorsson at a loss, but manage to conn Celtic into buying Boerrigter for a couple million more than they paid

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    any team that spends €s on either of these players should sack the technical director right away. Neither one is good enough to play outside the Eredivisie. It's amazing that they have both played for respective NTs. For some reason FdB likes these kinds of players, remember Siem de Jong and Theo Janssen? I still cannot understand why de Jong was given the captain's armband when Alderwiereld was so much more deserving. Also, would have made Cillessen the captain rather than Klaassen! I'm tired of plodding midfielders!

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Boerrigter was quite good until he suffered the back injury in early December. I think he had a call up to the NT at about that time. He was never the same player after that. Sometimes injuries hit a player unexpectedly and they never fully recover. Don't get me started about Theo Janssen, that was money down the toilet.

22. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ajax should look at Tananne he looks quite the player

A striker is certainly needed imo

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Problem is Ajax have a hard €1M/year salary cap. There were a number of strikers available at the beginning of the season but Ajax would not pay enough. Kevin Kuranyi, Samuel Eto'o, Didier Drogba, or Dimiter Berbitov all have a season or two left in their legs but would want too much.

24. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    now this cap is this an Ajax thing or an eredivisie cap?

Apologies don't know much about caps I know MLS has them

25. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    self imposed financial restraint. But every rule has its exceptions. For exceptional players there are different rules as Cruyff said I believe. But I guess having 100+ million in the bank is nice too for a company.