Ajax 2015-16: What Will Frank Do?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Schone will probably not be a starter this season. He can rotate at the 10 if they are really using one.

Or maybe he will be misused on the wings still as a starter.

2. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    And it's a bad thing according to me. Schone is one of the best players of the league and he already has a certain experience. He showed that he score in CL and his game against Manchester City with Eriksen was terrific. He is a constant threat for free kicks and corner kicks and it's a real advantage for the team.

I know that Ajax and dutch clubs prefer to play youngsters for some financial reasons, but you need older players like Schone if you want to perform in europe, I'm still not convinced with Sinkgraven being able to have an impact against a strong opponent.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He's right footed so it's kind of hard to cross if you are playing on the left side.

4. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I can understand him playing on the left side and giving inside crosses with his right foot like Sneijder was doing. If you're slow and play on a wing, it should be the inverted one.

5. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dijks keeps missing chances to play through-balls. Getting irritating

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    0-0 at the half and both teams had some decent chances. Veltman shot right at the keeper in the 44th minute after a couple of caroms in the box. Really good to play a top rank team like Wolfsberg. I imagine that this might be the starting 11 for FDB.

Starters: Cillessen, Dijks, Riedewald, Veltman, Tete, Bazoer, Sinkgraven, Klaassen, Fischer, Milik, el Ghazi

el Ghazi looks quicker this year. I don't think Milik had more than one touch. Fischer also had a decent chance but shot it at the keeper as well.

JC-14 repped this.
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That was as nice a goal as you will ever see! then a bad turnover and de Bruyne punishes with the easy goal.

Dutch Treat repped this.
  8. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah that was a great header by Klaassen.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    1-1 was a fair result with both teams having chances. Ajax almost got the winner in extra time with some nice passing but Menig shot hard but an easy save by the keeper. Ajax were decent but too many soft passes yet again. Couldn't tell whether it was Bazoer or Menig who made a disastrous back pass right to de Bruyne who was in on goal. Tete looked very good at right back and Younes got five minutes of play near the end at left wing.

10. Jalepinho

Jalepinho Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I agree. Theres a lot of money on the line here for ajax' upcoming UCL qualifiers so they better play Schone!

UCL 3rd qualifying draws are out: SK Rapid Wien (AUT) v AFC Ajax (NED) (28/29 July & 4/5 August)

11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I saw 70 minutes of the game and I thought Dijks was horrible. Not too happy about Sinkgraven while some on the internet phrased him. Klaassen as 10 is kind of a double edged sword. He can score a goal, but he also constantly initiated pressing. He is so good at that and he tried to press the keeper a lot of time, making him long balling or even giving it to Ajax or bringing a Wolfsburg defender into problems.

The goal he scored was good, but I was not happy how Riedewald was too nice for de Bruyne. Should have brought him down with hands and feet. Bazoer is interesting, is allowed to take more risk, but that goes for the whole team. To be at this level at this age. Not bad.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If football were only a game of free kicks I would support this statement. However, it's more than that and there really is no position for Schöne to play as a starter. He has lost a step and a half over the last season in terms of quickness and there is no way he is a bigger threat than either el Ghazi or Fischer. While he originally came up as a midfielder he is not going to knock either Klaassen or Bazoer out of the lineup. Does he replace Sinkgraven/Gudelj??

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He was no better/worse than Boilesen.
    I think this position is up for grabs right now. Klaassen and Bazoer will start for sure but I'm not sure who the third midfielder will be. I thought Sinkgraven needs to adapt to the speed of the game. Wolfsburg play a strong pressing game that Ajax seldom face in the league.
    Hope he stays healthy this season and he could really improve. I liked his pressing and hope to see more of this overall from Ajax.

I agree and maybe Riedewald was surprised at the weak pass from Menig. Of course it would have been a certain Red card given it was direct goal scoring opportunity.

14. Jalepinho

Jalepinho Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    If its an Eredivisie match then i'd agree with you. But Schone is much more than free kicks! He's one of the very few veterans in a very young and inexperienced squad which I've always felt is why ajax struggles in Europe. almost year after year, Ajax gets kicked out of the Europa league from some less skilled team but with a more mature/experienced squad....I think its time we play a more experienced squad in europe

15. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    He is no bigger threat than Fischer or El Ghazi as a winger of course

He is a AM/CM, who relies on combinations, long shots, passing...Never been the quickest player, but he has a certain vista with the ball, just like Van der Vaart. I always like to compare them technically.

I like Bazoer, but what has he seriously done to deserve a starting spot above a player that was doing well as AM until De Boer decides to change it ? In Germany, France, Spain...youngsters have to earn their spot in a long time, in Ajax they immediatly get it. Definitly for some financial reasons.

And I agree with Jalepinho's last comment. Look at a team like Basel, have been doing better than Ajax in europe, they have a majority of 23-30 years old players. The Red Bull team that beat Ajax as well.

Anyway, Bazoer/Gudelj/Schone/Sinkgraven can all be used as Ajax will play different competitions, I'd just like Schone to have the priority for european games.

Jalepinho repped this.
  16. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I will agree with this post. And if Bazoer and Klaassen are a lock in a point forward midfield, than Schoene should play RM next to Bazoer to bring some creativity to midfield.

Jalepinho repped this.
  17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cillessen - Calm a a cucumber as always.

Tete - Good defensively, is allowed to create more attacking danger in attack

Veltman - Bit unorthodox 1 time, but I think oke

Riedewald - Nice back heel defending one time, overall oke

Dijks - Just don't like him, though there is not that much reason for that in this game. I just don't understand why as long as Frank is at the helm, that left back side needs to be a worry. Solve it. Dijks is in my estimation not a solution.

Sinkgraven - Nice action one time, doing his twisting and turning, then a panna and Klaassen played it to Youness, only for that not really connecting. However Sinkgraven did well and I like him this game. Oke shot on goal, aggression. He into this game. Nice.

Bazoer - Not bad, not good. Is allowed to jump out more. He is interested in shooting more this season. Saw an attempt and extrapolating a bit from that, my guess is that distance shots is a thing he want to throw into the mix more.

Klaassen - Well on ball had some good balls, but also some balls that really should have been better and then also instantly created chances.

Youness - Not impressed. Lacks something special so far. I do not see something remarkable in how he moves or what he pulls off. The last one is not required of course, he is just new, but I do not see exceptional speed, technique, 1 vs 1 or something else. Maybe second half.

Milik - Not enough off ball. He is no danger with his lack of speed. He is not an Olic/Kut/Park player, that will work super hard or any way, looks like contributing that way. He is pretty silent during the game is what I am saying. His shot was oke-ish.

El Ghazi - Maybe worst man on the field. I see little of what I saw in some games last season, also with the Dutch U21 team where he was the best vs Germany.

Second half here we go.

Jalepinho and JC-14 repped this.
  19. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agree with pretty much all of that. Sinkgraven has looked good today. Very into it.

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Another crap goal conceded in the dying minutes of this friendly. I only saw the last 10 minutes of the match. Looks like Ajax will enjoy another short run in the Europa League this year. I have severe doubts about them qualifying for the group CL stage.

21. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cillessen - Well, he got chipped with the goal. Mistake? He got chipped from that distance, yes he has to own up to a certain level. Rest was oke.

Tete - A lot of fouls second half. Even got a yellow. Attacking wise he added little and that was part of the problem. Him and Dijks adding little in attack, making things static, predictable and harder for the attackers to make something from it.

Veltman - One or two wrong distribution passes. Probably oke-ish for the rest.

Riedewald - Not seen much wrong with him. I remember one or two years ago talking about him after watching a youth tournament. Liked him and he is putting himself out there. Proper reading, proper football, proper defending. The test comes when he has to defend big attackers 1 vs 1, also with corners. Let's see this season.

Dijks - If Ajax fails this season it will be the sole doing of this clown. I don't know, I just can't stand him. His locomotion is off, he is the worst header the northern hemisphere (relatively considering his length). I just can only phrase 1 word: "Why"? Why does that left back spot needs to be made into a constant Achilles heel. What is up with now filling that position with somebody who will harm Ajax and as a result of that Dutch football (Euro points). Mind boggling. Worst overall man on the field as Ghazi picked up second half.

Sinkgraven - So he showed his weak spot: distribution. Long balls, at least 2 went wrong. There was a good one from Gudelj when he came on. Not seen the same level from Sink. That is a bit of a deal breaker long term. He needs to get that down. He is a ballet dancer, love his twisting and turning, not a fan of his back passes, but his long balls should make up for that. Not the case. Good first half, but he might have exposed a really weak side of him as I have noticed this before now I write about it.

Bazoer - Those time making shadow movements, selling going one direction, going the other. Fancy. He is quite good up to a certain level. So mature for his age, but I can not really remember something memorable from him. He is not peeking defensively or attacking. I don't know. Solid would be the term. Doing oke for himself, but there are other gears for him in the future to explore. To become somebody that adds more to the team, that can create more attacking output, that has more overall influence on a game. He is young. It is already quite good what he shows at this age. Promise.

Klaassen - Well he has no personal action and does a lot of back passing. Hard worker, valued member of the team. Maybe should have scored. Looked harder to me than the commentator of the game imagined it was. Oke I guess, wished for a bit more refinement in the last pass and a bit more sharpness for the goal.

Youness - Poor. One of the worst of the field. See little in him. Maybe Eredivisie will do him good though. Maybe he can flourish against weak teams.

Milik - Just poor. Nothing to remember really.

Ghazi - As said, picked up and though he started the second half with an action that was good from a 1 vs 1 point of view, he did not deliver a good cross. Later this was more the case. He needed this improvement. First half was bad.

Gudelj - Is clearly heavier on the feet and already showed that he is a bit meaner than Sinkgraven, with some fouls. Good long ball 1 time, but I prefer Sink. Just wish Sink had a Verrati long ball in his locker. One could dream. There is a clear job for Gudelj as he brings a good mentality and some muscle.

Viergever - His horizontal pass after the goal was really bad, also mentally. If you want to equalize, that is a no go. Nothing memorable, one lost header, making me think that him and Dijks are a hazard during corners.

Sanogo - Nothing really. Dumb foul, could have maybe done more with a cross from the left. Must improve, but this was not an easy game. Well defending from ST Etienne.

Andersen - Had 1 nice action, other than that, not attacking enough. Saw a tiny bit of grit. Who knows.

Schöne - Worked hard. Had some good chases, 1 good corner. Not bad.

Think I mentioned all, maybe missed 1 or 2. The game is still too much back passing, not enough attacking surprise. Frank needs to use the attacking impulse of the backs. It is too static, attackers are left too much alone. He must make allow for more attacking runs from midfield and even defense (backs).

I enjoyed the goal. Was just a good one, no denying. Cheers

thatkid repped this.
  22. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Dijks looked like a poor transfer from the beginning. We can hope that Riedewald/Viergever takes the LB spot, one of them has to play CB and the other one LB. Riedewald looks better going forward than Viergever so I'd go for him if I was the coach.

Still don't think that Younes and Sanogo are good deals neither.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Rash judgement for players that have been with the club for less than 2 weeks. Sanogo is irrelevant in any event as it's just a one year loan. Question is whether Younes replaces Kishna in an adequate manner. Of course the both could fail miserably or even succeed. We won't know for several months.

24. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good heavens, I didn't even realize that Dijks had left Ajax permanently. I was thinking that he was a returning loanee this year.
    Does Younes even have to replace Kishna though? I imagine Fischer will be first choice on the LW. And of course Sanogo is a backup to Milik

25. Jalepinho

Jalepinho Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i agree with orange14, we need Younes to be our Kishna of last yr. I like Fischer but he was injured for the majority of last yr and if the unforunate happens again this season, we've got Younes at that spot. but touch wood and hope he stays healthy...