Age, Left Back, Symmetry Etc Etc

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #1 Maximum Optimal, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    First for everyone's edification I present 3 birthdates:
    Michael Bradley 7/31/87
    Tim Ream 10/5/87
    Fabian Johnson 12/11/87

Second I offer the observation that left back remains a problematic position. I think we should be open to using a player during qualification who might age out come the world cup. We did this with Steve Cherundolo at right back a couple cycles ago, when he played quite a few games for the NT in 2011 and 2012 even though he would have been 35 by 2014. Frankie Hejduk is another fullback who played for the NT until a ripe old age. In that regard, I'm fine with Ream and Johnson getting looks. It is not as if they are blocking anyone who looks promising. I will make the observation that if Fabian Johnson is too old to invest PT in at this stage of the cycle, then so is Ream.

My third thought has to do with symmetry. I like the wrinkle of having the RB play differently than the LB. But I'm not sure this should be our regular way of playing rather than a "change of pace" to be occasionally thrown at an opponent. Let's keep it in the arsenal, but also try other forms of asymmetry as well. Maybe the LB is the one who plays tucked in. I think Fabian Johnson might do well in such a role. He could also help us with our buildup from the back, something we struggled with against Chile. We can also have some asymmetry with respect to the wide attacking players. Pulisic can play there occasionally and he would play a wide position very differently than say Tim Weah.

One last observation: the etc part. If Adams plays the 6 we can be more aggressive sending the fullbacks forward. We can also have McKennie or whoever is the 8 or "second 10", whatever we want to call it, press a bit higher on defense. It would be a different ballgame having a 6 who opens up things for other players rather than a 6 who needs defensive help.

DHC1, Patrick167, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Left back is a major problem for the usmnt. Right now we have to cap-tie Antonee Robinson at the Gold Cup. That may be difficult if England calls. Robinson was born, raised and lives in England, and signed by Everton with loans to the Championship. Right now he is with our U-23 and all indications are that he will play for the usmnt. He obviously would get more playing time with the usmnt than with England.

Patrick167 repped this.
  3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Fullbacks do seem to be a critical point for Berhalter. I get the impression that he isn't too impressed with the available U.S. fullbacks in general, resulting the Adams experiment and the odd lopsided formations. IMO, maybe it's fine to let Adams create some artificial width while still serving as the fulcrum of the U.S. formation, but a simpler option could be to just play a 3-2-2-2.

If Berhalter wants to focus on possession, how many available U.S. fullbacks would really work in that style of system. Fabian Johnson and...

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Agree in general, but I feel a 3-2-2-2 might be oversimplifying.

schrutebuck repped this.
  5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I re-wrote that post two or three times and missed the most important part. Good catch!

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Also, I wonder if - as a starting point - the fullbacks in our pool might consider symmetrical hairstyles, or at least a common asymmetry, providing greater balance.

Three and Three repped this.
  7. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    apparently hairstyles and hair colors are chosen to help the grandparents keep track of their grandchildren playing for team

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few posters favorite and an anomaly for me - Hollingshead - May be getting enough time at left back to be making a breakthrough. Still early but Luchi ball could be similar to Greggo ball that if the weird right back experiment ends some attacking left backs may be back in the mix.

9. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Not picking on you, as this is the line of questioning done in the media. Try and find our present fullbacks that can play as central midfielders. However, Adams is a CM. The fullback part of the equation is not important really. In this system, any right footed CM in the pool should be able to play it.

If you want to do it on the left, then any left footed CM can play it.

In all seriousness, Trapp should play it. Adams would be the 6 and be in the middle on defense all the time. Trapp would come in to distribute from deep when we are least vulnerable defensively.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  10. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    He will be 31 at the WC and is just playing well now at 27?

The problem with Greggo-ball is it barely fits our player pool now and marginalizes many of our best prospects. Whatever you think of the current pool of fullbacks, we are kind of loaded with them at the U20 level.

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but we need someone who can play right now until those players are ready. left back is a spot where there isn't any solid no brainer.

12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else choke on their drink reading that?

We're speaking of the same England, correct? The country in which the Premiership plays?

Is anyone else worried about losing Antonee Robinson to an England call-up?

onefineesq repped this.
  13. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw, England is not a country. It is one part of the UK. ;)
    Seriously, I personally doubt Antonee will amount to anything professionally. But he is young, and some young guys make it big, and some become Freddie Adu.

14. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I would play Robinson. We have never seen him in a coordinated system. He was one of the best players in a few Sarachan games and the recent U23 game against Holland.

Or Johnson for 60 and Robinson for 30. Certainly, would have been better to have been subbing Robinson on instead of Lovitz versus Chile.

I just don't see the point of giving minutes to marginal players. Why are we playing for a draw in a Friendly at home 3 years before the WC? Why are we starting the our oldest starting lineup since Couva? 3G needs to move along to the actual full player pool soon.