African Cup of Nations: Post-group PBP & analysis (R)

Discussion in 'Africa' started by glennaldo_sf, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ALGmoeCFC

ALGmoeCFC New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Funny guy :eek:

2. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    I know it's very hard to overcome your strong anti-Algerian resentment and hatred but try to make a little effort and show at least a tiny amount of objectivity because things are starting to get ridiculous. :rolleyes:
    Chaouchi is in the hospital by now, he had tears in his eyes from pain and you talk about simulating ! :eek: Did you knew that he practically missed all the training sessions in the last 4 days due to an intense pain in his back, he was uncertain and had 80 % of chances to miss that game, the coach took HUGE risks by putting him among the starting eleven, it's very likely that he won't be able to play the semi finale.

In addition to this you're totally disregarding the fact that there was at least 8 minutes of additional time (if we combine both halfs of extra time). Well, it's nothing but one of the endless inconsistencies in your posts.

Keep bittering and whining but the truth is that Algeria is in the semi-finals after outrageously dominating their opponents today whether the jealous haters like it or not.

Ivory Coast is down, many more to come. Way to go Algeria !!! :eek:

Cheer for Egypt Maruti, and you'll be enduring yet another humiliation.

3. Fatso

Fatso Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Cote D'Ivoire is all hype! Algeria were better organized and played with more purpose. CIV should discard this illusion that football pundits particularly in Europe give them that they are the best team in Africa. They are not. If they were missing major players as Ghana have been missing they would be found wanting earlier. Algeria is for real. I have been warning the Americans about them; and some of them are dismissing them as usual. One thing about Algeria is they play with such heart when there is something big to play for.

4. Palacas

Palacas Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    im a big CIV fan but damn they never fail to disappoint:(

5. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Dude... I really don't care about Algeria... your just as delusional and pointlessly angry as ALGmoeCFC.

If its true about Chaouchi than I take my comments back. It did however look as if he was simulating and all commentaries noted this as over-the-top time wasting tactics (please check out i.e. Eurosport commentary like "The Algerians are masters of gamesmanship and - guess what? Chaouchi is up."). If not the coach should have changed the keeper and I find it a travesty that he didn't. Totally irresponsible coaching in that case - basically risking crippling of the goalie.

Still - if he plays the next match than he was simulating. You shouldn't play if you have such health issues. You can cripple yourself permanently (and believe me I should know).

Actually there were 7 minutes in total, so Chaouchi still managed to waste 3 minutes and disrupt the flow of the game. But if he was injured then he was injured. And a goalie is a goalie. You can't restart play.

Now... another example of delusion. Yes, they dominated, but lets not exaggerate. If Algeria had outrageously dominated than Cote d'Ivoire wouldn't have had so many scoring opportunities (less than Algeria but still), had a perfectly good goal dissallowed, not have a perfectly good penalty awarded and missed a couple of sitters (with Gervinho the main culprit).

I do however find the lack of objectivity outrageous. No one is taking away the deserved win from you. But the fact is you can't take the bad taste out of your mouth after the abysmal call by the linesman. It's not Algeria's fault naturally. And they should have put Cote d'Ivoire to sleep before that. But still... there should have been a penalty shoot-out as both teams scored 3 goals.

Why should I cheer for Egypt? After all I cheered for Algeria for Algeria to kick Egypt out of the World Cup. If Algeria meet Egypt in the semis I'll be backing Algeria all the way... You'll have me shouting - GO ZIANI! GO MATMOUR!

If Egypt progresses I'll be routing for Algeria. If Cameroon I won't. But good luck anyway.

You Algerian fans have real issues with picking put who your enemy is... Damn. Your trying to make me into an Algerian hater, but I was one of the few people protecting you guys after the Malawi match.

Really look at my posting history. Here is what I wrote after the Malawi game:
    Is that a comment an Algerian hater will make?

You guys really need to take a deep breath, take a step back and not try to find enemies everywhere.

p.s. Yes. I was backing Cote d'Ivoire, but I won't go overboard and say that they deserved to win it. They didn't. That doesn't change the fact there are a lot of 'maybes' and 'should haves' in this game.

6. MarocFAN

MarocFAN Member

May 18, 2006
    Morocco/Germany
    Come on guys lets just forget about it. Algeria dominated and deserved the win, but they weren't effectiv enough.
    Let's just look forward to the two derbies in semifinal.:p

7. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Thanks MarocFAN. I really have no idea why I was jumped on... no one is taking away the fact Algeria deserved the win. The ref made a big mistake, but that in no way undermines Algeria's game (albeit it would have led to a penalty shoot-out).

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh well first the bad news... for the second night in a row, a talented and dynamic team are sent home due to their own self-destruction and bad officiating... the good news... we get to see the semi-final of

Egypt v Algeria

Oh well should be a great game - Zambia v Nigeria next to play Ghana in the other semifinal... looks like it's going to be a north v east African cup final... unless Zambia can spring not one but two more surprises!

9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so we have a north v west final again....

SFs:
    Algeria v Egypt
    Nigeria v Ghana

10. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    that was the worst display I have ever seen from Nigeria in a nations cup match. I was actually hoping Zambia would put us out of our misery, they thouroughly deserved to win as they completely outplayed us, but their finishing and final balls are so damn amateur, it just came back to haunt them. Very poor display by Nigeria with their joke of a coach. We will be exposed in SA if this coach is left to take us to the WC.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So far, Ivory Coast and Algeria are the best teams I've seen. Egypt a close third. Ghana must improve.

Nigeria was bad, and were lucky that Zambia couldn't score for their life.

12. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I'm still not sure about Algeria. They definitely had a game of their life with Cote d'Ivoire. But do remember how terrible the previous 3 games played with Algeria were. Question is for me: Was that a one-off thing or was Algeria just building its form during the tournament?

I believe Ghana is probably the outsider at the moment. Despite all the attacks on the team I must say Ghana looks like the best tactically organized side at this tournament (save maybe for Algeria and Cameroon - in this department Egypt really looked weak yesterday). They don't have any stars, but got two results with a sound gameplan. Surprising looking how 6 players of the squad that played Angola are under 21, 3 are under 23 and only Kingson and Sarpei were experienced players. That said Ghana was tactically the best team by far at the u20 World Cup (for case in point see the Korea and Brasil game).

The hope for Ghana is Anthony Annan returning to the first squad (arguably Ghana's best player save for Essien) and Rajevac finally giving Adiyiah or Osei in attack to finally give the front formation some well needed creative input.

Nigeria really looked good for gold after Odemwingie returned for the Mozambique game. But they were outplayed. Bad news for Amodu is that he really has next to no way to shake up the squad a bit. He has no creative midfielders to mix up the midfield. The best thing he can do is play Kalu Uche and Obafemi Martins. Also risk it and bring back Taye Taiwo, who is without any doubt one of Nigeria's best players under the condition you have the coaching abilities to use him.

Egypt is an unknown. They had two good games against Benin and Nigeria. But they were the weaker side against Mozambique and Cameroon producing a result solely thanks to pure luck, bad refereeing and terrible defensive errors. Apart from that they should have soundly lost both games... but didn't.

So really we have 4 teams which have failed to consistently impress. Ghana was the most consistent with its decent, if unremarkable form (but is decent enough?). The rest had an on and off tournament.

All in all it seems like teams are really hurting in these conditions: over 30 degrees and 60-80% humidity.

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semi-finals just kicking off... it's all about regional domination today with the all-western semi-final between Ghana and Nigeria and then the all-northern clash of the titans of Egypt v Algeria.

Atm, Ghana lead Nigeria 1-0 after 28 minutes. Not many people in the audience unfortunately...

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that's how it stays... pretty boring match and not many people in the stadium... but 1-0 Ghana... congratulations to Ghana for making the final of the ANC....

15. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    with their u20 team, disgrace for nigeria, sack that idiot coach now.

16. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    I thought that Nigeria never played better, especially the last 45 minutes were good....fighting spirit, always tried...

Congrats to Ghana. Their defence is a rock, but their attack is pretty awful. Today it worked, I am not sure if it will work in the finale.

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's the final...

Ghana vs. Egypt

3rd place:
    Nigeria vs. Algeria

Semi-finals:
    Ghana 1-0 Nigeria
    Egypt 4-0 Algeria

3 red cards in the Algeria - Egypt match... damn - definitely not a 'friendly' rivalry.

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, tough luck. FIFA doesn't like governmental interference and CAF apparently too.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh well and that's that....

Egypt are the champions of the African Nations Cup 2010. Final standings:

1 - Egypt
    2- Ghana
    3- Nigeria
    4 - Algeria

Once again the tournament is dominated by west/north African countries. Only Angola + Zambia were able to get into the semis from Southern Africa. Egyptian players dominate the awards:

best player - Ahmed Hassan
    best goalkeeper - Essam Al-Hadray
    top goalscorer - Geddo

Wow - what a tournament for Geddo! He sort of did a 'Schillachi' or a 'Solenko' - in the sense that he kind of came from out of nowhere to win the top scorer award. Had anyone, non-Egyptian actually heard of this guy before the tournament began? Apparently only had 3 international caps / 1 goal before the tournament began and didn't even think he was on the squad until he read on the internet he had made it, LOL.

Hard luck Ghana but congrats to Egypt for a third successive victory. Next tournament will be in Gabon/Equatorial Guinea. Despite not making the quarters, Gabon did well and look an emerging force in Africa after the qualifiers so they should be able to put together a decent challenge by 2012..

Nice watching/discussing with you lot....

21. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Ahmed Hassan getting the best player award... well... shows you one thing: No player really stood out in the competition if Hassan got the award. He was mediocre for the most part and an appauling actor for the rest of it. Yeah... he scored 2 goals... erm 1 goal... in the 1/4 final, but it was fluke (bad GKing goal).

22. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I think this was the worst ANC since 1998. The overall quality of the teams seems to have regressed. Egypt was not as good as they were in 2008. Ghana was understrength. CIV was a total dissapointment, Togo got shot at, Cameroon were also a massive dissapointment, as were Nigeria, and there were way too many poor refereeing decisions which destroyed multiple games, it was not an ANC to remember. 2006 and 2008 were much more exciting and of higher quality.

23. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    vancity: I don't think the quality has regressed. It's just that this was the first AFCoN (apart from the South Africa one, where the temperatures as nowhere as deadly) where matches were played in the middle of summer. The players suffered and the quality suffered. It was just too hot and humid. Just look at the players and can you truthfully say that the quality of players has regressed?

Btw. I still feel Kwadwo Asamoah had a much better tournament than Hassan. He was really key to Ghana's success.

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Palacas

Palacas Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    there have been reports that CIV are firing their coach, nothing official yet