AFL Grand Final 2004

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by BhoysFC1995, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Port were formed in 1870, and played in the SANFL until 1996. They then were accepted into the AFL (actually there were accepted into the AFL in 1990, but as their bid wasn't supported by the SANFL it was set aside and the Adelaide Crows took their place). They were the most successful (and most hated by everyone other than their loyal supporters) SANFL club.

As they wore black & white stripes, and their nickname was the Magpies, both of which were already taken by Collingwood, they had to make changes when they came into the AFL.

Against their wishes they were forced to maintain a club in the SANFL, so they formed a new legal entity, the Port Adelaide Magpies FC.

2. sdiyes

sdiyes New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    I think Port won the game because they had a better team song. I actually wish the NFL teams would all have the same type of team songs over here but since the NFL is run by stuck in the mud 60 something white guys who want to take all the fun out of the game probably never happen.

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    "Fly Eagles Fly", "Hail to the Redskins". Teams have them. You just don't hear them on the TV.

Thx,

Jay!

4. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Many of the old "traditional" NFL clubs have team songs. "Hail to the Redskins" is arguably the most famous because they continue to have their own band. Baltimore Ravens also have their own band (though a different team song than the old Baltimore Colts fight song). Chicago Bears also have a traditional team song. Can't say I ever recall hearing "Fly Eagles Fly" though.

5. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We still sing it in Philly but you usually can hear the E-A-G-L-E-S-eagles chant instead. I like both to tel the truth but disliked the AFL ones for some reason. Maybe it was the horrible singing before them or the fact that I didn't grow up hearing the Power song.

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    What I find odd about the AFL team songs is that, for the most part, they're based on old American standards (like Melbourne's "It's A Grand Old Flag", or Hawthorn's song based on "Yankee Doodle Dandy"), or traditional American college football fight songs (Sydney Swans come straight out of Notre Dame). Very few AFL team songs are original compositions...Port comes to mind along with Freo and the whiny complaint of West Coast Eagles.