Afghanistan soccer

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Gerrit, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    It's good to see the Afghan soccer is getting back on track slowly. The national team participated in the last Asia Cup qualifiers and the current World Cup qualifiers (though they were eliminated immediately, if I remember it right they lost 0-12 or so vs Kyrgisztan ?)

The national team has its own webpage meanwhile (I have the URL somewhere in my papers, I'll look it up) and currently many lads from Kabul are playing for Afghanistan (unlike the first games of the reformed NT, when mainly Afghans who live abroad played for the team).

Has a new Afghan league been formed yet, and how is the public interest in soccer going after years of a soccer ban ?

2. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    No one ?? :confused: Come on, someone must know of the football there... We've got a few people from neighbouring countries...

Please also do not mix politics in this unless it directly has influence on the soccer scene in Afghanistan. I opened this topic out of interest for the soccer there, not to have a debate on the war or current political situation.

3. doodool

doodool Red Card

May 12, 2005
    man do af´ghans have NT?? dont mean to be rude just wondering...some internet site about that or something?

4. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Yes, they have, as far as I know they're even one of Asia's oldest federations. Under the previous regime (won't use the name to avoid political undertone) the football team of Afghanistan was inactive, but since the war is over they re-started the NT. Still weak of course (as I said, they lost 0-12 on aggregate in their first competitive tie since returning to the Asian football scene) but I'm sure they'll grow, the NT already attracts public interest around Kaboul and the current squad contains many locals who actually live in Afghanistan (while before it were mainly Afghan refugees in Europe).

I'm not sure if the domestic league has been re-installed yet.

5. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Agfhanistan beat Kyrgyzstan (1-0? 2-0?) in preliminary qualifying for the last Asian Cup. Yes, Kyrgyzstan is really really bad (though they then turned around and beat Nepal after that defeat).

6. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway

Afghanistan beat Kyrgyzstan 2-1 in the preliminaries to Asia Cup, then losing 4-0 to Nepal. Then later that year in 2003 they lost to TURKMENISTAN 11-0 away and 2-0 in Kabul in the World Cup Qualifiers. Turkmenistan are not a bad team , ranked as number 105 now, Afghanistan are ranked as 200 of 205 countries on FIFA ranking.

Afghanistan could be climbing in the rankings , next matches I guess will be the SAFF championship in Pakistan, scheduled for December 2005.

Pakistan, Bangladesh, Maldives, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Afghanistan, Bhutan and Afghanistan has been invited to SAFF.

7. (9)PALESTINO(9)

(9)PALESTINO(9) Red Card

Jun 13, 2005
    Riyadh,K S A
    ya they do,currently ranked last place(fifa rankings).there website can be found on fifa.com->national associations->afghanistan

8. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    The only thing I know about Afghan NT is when they played a friendly against Pakistan....haha funny (but sad) story!

9. nazzo

nazzo Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hope they rise.

10. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  11. DR.Ari V

DR.Ari V New Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Hoffman Estates,IL
    they only had one win in the entire history of futbol in afghanistan and that was j recently. wow!

12. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    SAFF Cup 2005 in Pakistan - December

GROUP A
    Afghanistan
    Maldives
    Pakistan
    Sri Lanka

Afghanistan are ready to play international matches :)

13. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    oh my god all their players birthdate is like 1980's..........
    good luck to them because they need it!!!!!!!!!!

14. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Reason by the coach of afghanistan losing to turkeministan.........
    the turkeministan guys gave an old bus to transport afghan soccer players across the border with no heater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the humor doesnt stop there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When they have reached the hotel, the hotel was not booked so the players had to sleep on the FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! could u guys believe that :cool:

15. Mike_Hallo

Mike_Hallo Red Card

Jul 1, 2005
  16. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Actually, did the Afghan league already take off again? Most of the NT players will probably play in their homeland I take?

17. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Afghanistan ready for 3 matches in SAFF cup in December :)

Maldives (MDV) : Afghanistan (AFG)
    SAFF Cup 2005 07.12.2005

Sri Lanka (SRI) : Afghanistan (AFG)
    SAFF Cup 2005 09.12.2005

Pakistan (PAK) : Afghanistan (AFG)
    SAFF Cup 2005 11.12.2005

18. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  19. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They only lost 1-0 to Pakistan in their second game.

20. Improving..:)

21. edrees

edrees Member

Nov 28, 2005
    It is great to see the Afghan NT playing football again. there first and only win was against kyg 2-1 in the asian prelim, however there last game was the WC qual against Turkmenistan, after that, the team was disbanded due to most of them running away in Italy. Those players in the site www.afghanland.com has been disbanded and a totally new team has formed for this tournement (SAFF CUP 2005). the current team players names are Afghanistan
    Goalkeepers: 1-Shamsuddin Amiri, 20-Hamidullah Yousufzai
    Defenders: 2-Ali Ahmadi, 3-Bashir Ahmad Saadat, 4-Qudratullah Hussaini, 5-Abdul Maroof Gullestani, 8-Ali Ahmad Yarzada, 14-Manochehr Azizi, 19-Islamuddin Amiri
    Midfielders: 6-Muhammad Salim Kohistani, 7-Sayed Maqsood, 12-Farhad Reza Khan, 13-Raza Mahmoudi, 15-Ahmed Wahid Abbasi, 17-Sayed Qasim Sharifi, 18-Sayed Bashir Azimi
    Forwards: 9-Hafizullah Qadami, 10-Muhammad Jalal Afshar, 11-Souraj Akhwan, 16-Mustafa Bayat
    Chief Coach: Klaus Staerk (Germany)

After less than 3 years the team is playing a game again, this team also notched up a friendly against Tajikistan loosing 4-0, and drawing 2-2 with Tajikistan Youth team, before the first game of the Saff Cup 2005 in Pakistan.

lost 9-1 Maldives and 1-0 to Pakistan, however next game in the SAFF CUP is against Sri Lanka, which would be great if the Afghans play with determination and win the match.

However one of the most important points to be noted quoted by German coach Klaus
    "With Afghanistan still struggling for stability since return to international arena, Klaus admits even basic issues like accommodation and nutrition are a problem. Virtually none of the players has an apartment or a job. "Even nutrition is a big problem," said Klaus. "So it's difficult to get fit and achieve higher aims."

hopefully the country will find stability and can continue to grow in the most popular sport in the world, as they do have the potential

22. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
  23. Pescado

Pescado New Member

Jul 5, 2004
  24. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Next matches probably AFC Challenge Cup in Nepal against India, Chinese Taipei and Philippines. Late March !