AFC U-19 Championship 2019

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by sbahnhof, Oct 19, 2018.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    The tenth edition of Asia's women's tournament for U19 teams - to be hosted by Thailand in Oct-Nov 2019. Three nations will qualify for the 2020 U20 Women's World Cup.

The previous tournament was won by Japan, 1-0 over North Korea.

Previous threads with @toad455 and @Lechus7
    2013, 2017

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  2. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    With a year to go until the finals, Qualification round 1 is starting today (20 Oct 2018). The 2nd round groups are in April 2019.

Four countries qualify automatically: Thailand, Japan, North Korea & China, so unlike last time, South Korea will have to qualify through the groups. Thailand has also chosen to host a qualifying group for practice.

After some rearrangements these are the groups, all across Asia:

Qualifiers round 1
    Groups + hosts
    Group A [​IMG]
    Lebanon
    Australia
    Hong Kong
    Mongolia

Group B [​IMG]
    Thailand
    India
    Pakistan
    Nepal

Group C [​IMG]
    Kyrgyzstan
    Guam
    Maldives
    UAE
    Uzbekistan

Group D [​IMG]
    Tajikistan
    Bangladesh
    Chinese Taipei
    South Korea

Group E [​IMG]
    Vietnam
    Jordan
    Malaysia
    Singapore

Group F [​IMG]
    Myanmar
    Iran
    Laos

Since the first AFC tournament at this level, in 2002, it's grown in its number of participants. The first qualifying round had 14 teams in 2014 and in 2016 after withdrawals. The 2018 draw has 23 teams, plus Thailand.

Matches are streaming here:

- https://mycujoo.tv/competitions/afc-u-19-womens-championship-qualification

3. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    A few previews from different countries:

Australia have had a long trip, but will be confident of progressing. Squad list here:
    - https://matildas.footballaustralia.com.au/news/westfield-young-matildas-bound-beirut (Archived)

Bangladesh have apparently called up twelve players from their U16 team:
    - https://www.dhakatribune.com/sport/...confident-of-good-show-at-afc-u-19-qualifiers (Archived)

In the U16 qualifiers, Bangladesh won their group without conceding, and their U18 team won the SAFF (South Asian) title this month.

Guam are adjusting to very different conditions in Kyrgyzstan:
    - https://pacificnewscenter.com/guam-...ns-championship-qualifier-in-kyrgyz-republic/ (Archived)

Singapore and Myanmar already played some youth friendlies last month, apparently very one-sided:
    - http://www.globalnewlightofmyanmar....l-team-beats-singapore-7-0-in-friendly-match/ (Archived)

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am surprised Australia has to qualify, although I seem to remember that, last time around, Japan had beaten them quite squarely.

Oh, well, it means that, by travelling to Lebanon and playing vs teams that are scattered through the continent, they'll feel more "Asian" than they ever felt! :p

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lechus7 and sbahnhof repped this.
  6. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Guam scored the tournament's first goal - Hannah Rose hit a high shot over the Maldives' GK Aishath Sana. It's 3-0 near half-time, and the crowd in Bishkek are on their feet. (Well, the crowd of players.) Apparently it's a bit warmer at the game in Kyrgyzstan today - about 6°C (43°F).

Guam has a strong historic Spanish and Filipino influence, though I don't know much about it really. :unsure:

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I had indeed though about Philippines, when I had read the names, for the geographic proximity (kind of) also, but since I am absoultely not sure about Guam's history I had said nothing. Maybe we could ask @Dernhelm on the Filipinas rising thread: she should surely know how much big the influence of Philippines descent is in Guam.

8. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Qualifiers round 1 is done!

The six group winners – Australia, Thailand*, Uzbekistan, South Korea, Vietnam, Iran
    Two runners-up have progressed – Lebanon, Myanmar
    *Thailand are hosts, so Group B place goes to – Nepal

Those 8 teams go to qualifying round 2 in April 2019.

All of the Pot 1 nations have progressed, plus Iran, and the unranked Lebanon, who finished last in their 2015 group and didn't enter in 2017.

Group B was particularly tight. Thailand, Nepal and India all scored 6 points, but only Nepal went through. Highlights included a 1-0 win for India (in white) over the home team Thailand with a frenetic atmosphere, and a more subdued Thailand 3 Nepal 0.

The runner-up rankings were a total lottery. All six teams had the same points in the tiebreaker, but Lebanon and Myanmar had the best results on goal difference.

Group C was the biggest group, so it started earlier. The AFC put up match reports for Matchday 1 (Guam won 12-0) and Matchday 2 (Guam lost 8-0). :confused:

Then the teams from all the groups were in action:

- Matchday 3

- Matchday 4

- Matchday 5, last matches

And some articles on the qualifiers from Australia, Myanmar and Vietnam.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  9. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG] Aha, we've actually had a Guam thread - with @GuamFootball

blissett repped this.
  10. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Yes, it's that sign again:

[​IMG]

Round 2
    Group A [​IMG] in Mandalay, Myanmar
    Australia and Myanmar qualify − daily match reports
    Matchday 1 / Matchday 2 / Matchday 3
    R2 stats, WomensSoccerUnited (Archive)

HIGHLIGHTS: Myanmar 2-1 Nepal
    - youtube.com/watch?v=dhwUJlpROsY&t=6s
    (Note: contains the best "awful dive, awful penalty" ever)
    [​IMG]

Group B [​IMG] in Hanoi, Vietnam
    South Korea and Vietnam qualify (Iran 3rd on a crazy tiebreaker)
    Matchday 1 / Matchday 2 / Matchday 3

[​IMG] [​IMG] Vietnam and Iran both had 4pts, were level on all goals and head-to-head, so the AFC went to the photo-finish option:
    "Disciplinary points: Vietnam −3, Iran −4."

Bad luck for Iran - before kickoff there was an interview w/ Katayoun Khosrowyar:

"Young Iranian footballers look to make history" (DW-TV)
    - www.youtube.com/watch?v=50d43W_P5NQ
    [​IMG]

Finals, AFC U19 Championship
    October 27 - November 9, 2019

Eight countries will compete:
    - http://www.the-afc.com/competitions...latest/news/teams-confirmed-for-thailand-2019 (Archived)

blissett repped this.
  11. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa

[​IMG]

:eek: It's almost time to start!
    Eight nations, three World Cup places, and one winner to be crowned in Chonburi, Thailand on Nov 9, as Japan seek to defend Young Nadeshiko's 2017 title. Glory will certainly be vied for, but who will vie the hardest? This video by the AFC may or may not explain. (It was nice of them to use traditional Thai folk music.)

(Yes, Thailand invented club bangers.)

If you'd like actual information, there's a bit in here
    Group A - Thailand, North Korea, Australia + Vietnam
    Group B - Japan, China, South Korea + Myanmar

The Australia squad includes senior call-ups Princess Ibini and Mary Fowler, who scored plenty of goals in U19 qualifying. The Japan squad was listed by @unepommekun, here. The Vietnam team coach is Japanese - Akira Ijiri was 'dispatched' there as a coach and technical advisor, while Australia's coach Leah Blayney was appointed there in July. Some other squads are on Wiki. (China U16s coach Chan Yuen Ting is listed with South Korea, an error I guess?)

[​IMG]
    New coach: Australia's Leah Blayney
    (Camw, cc-by-sa)

[​IMG] [​IMG] Game 1 on Sunday is North Korea v Australia (09:00 GMT). There's been plenty of U19 discussion this year on all the competing teams' threads, well, mostly just one. :)

Some of last year's Japan U20 squad did end up in the senior team - in fact the 2020 World Cup almost coincides with the Olympics, in July. Are any of this Japan U19 squad looking like big hopes for the future?

12. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    I hope Japan qualify for the world cup, but I think they will find it really tough in this group. I hope they play well.

The squad in my opinion is probably one of the weaker squads. There do not seem to be any standout players, but that could change with this tournament.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    this is why I don't think youth soccer is prevalent anymore, North Korea demolishes Australia. Yet we all know that despite so much previous success as well, the N Koreans contiuously end up flopping at the senior level.

Australia seemed to feature quite a few players that allready been with the seniors, plus perhpas even a family member of our won beloved BS poster & rep master

here were the lineup
    Korea DPR U19 vs. Australia U19 - 27 October 2019 - Women Soccerway

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, as I already previously said, I am not in any way related to Chelsea Blissett. :giggle:

15. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    What's that - Blissett might be Australian?... OK, Blissett, this is the test: Did you think this game was
    a) bonzer - b) shocker, mate - c) Nyaŋ'thun buḻaŋgitj

Highlights
    North Korea 5 - 1 Australia - (Kim Hyang 19, Yun Ji Hwa 30', Ri Kum Hyang 74', Pak Il Gyong 83, Kim Yun Ok 88' - Kyra Cooney-Cross 16')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=D87RN8f8T3Y
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] Thailand 0 - 2 Vietnam - (Nguyen Thi Tuyet Ngan 58', Ngan Thi Van Su 92')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfYjP4YW4zE
    [​IMG]

Day 2, Monday, it's the start of Group B:

LIVE Japan v Myanmar (Mon 09:00 GMT)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=o09VuOr93KU
    [​IMG]

LIVE China v South Korea (Mon 12:00 GMT)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHRIhRM9bPY
    [​IMG]

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol, not the slightest idea of what any of the test's options might mean, so I guess no Australian passport for me! :laugh:

17. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Day 2's goals:

[​IMG][​IMG] China 1 - 2 South Korea - (Han Xuan 34' - Kang Ji-woo 1', 72')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9b8iYQmcKQ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG] Japan 5 - 0 Myanmar - (Yamamoto 36', 49', Ōsawa 39', Hirosawa 66', Itō 67')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFh79-jrj70
    [​IMG]

Next, Wednesday's Group A games start with the 2 teams on 3pts:

LIVE Vietnam v North Korea (09:00 GMT)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=4twhasjRF9w
    [​IMG]

LIVE Australia v Thailand (12:00 GMT)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuSC9o2BeN8
    [​IMG]

18. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Day 4, Group A is shaping up with North Korea on 6pts. The Vietnam-Australia game on Saturday will decide a semifinal place: they both have 3pts now.

Highlights
    Vietnam 0 - 3 North Korea - (Yun Ji Hwa 47', Kim Kyong Yong 61', Ryu Sol Song 70')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj9bmuYercs
    [​IMG]

Australia 3 - 1 Thailand - (Mary Fowler 17', 41', Courtney Nevin 56' - Pattaranan Aupachai 63')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZLj8CZ7JYE
    [​IMG]

The defeat means the hosts Thailand are out after their 2nd game.

In Group B, Thursday is the second matchday - starting soon with the teams on 0 points, and then the ones on 3pts and oh no IT'S A DERBY

LIVE Myanmar v China (09:00 GMT)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hANJ5j3XGs
    [​IMG]

LIVE Japan v South Korea (12:00 GMT)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZSzQaii5h0
    [​IMG]

For Korean coach Hur Jung-jae, this is the big one:

JanBalk repped this.
  19. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Good stuff :thumbsup:

In Group B, Japan go to 6pts, and on the head-to-head South Korea is still ahead of China (3pts). On Sunday it's Japan v China.

South Korea 0 - 2 Japan - (Oto Kanno 16', Yuzuki Yamamoto 84')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK9Q1-dVRrA
    [​IMG]

Myanmar (red) 1 - 5 China - (San Thaw Thaw 73' - Yao 5', Yang 52', 62', Wang 70', Han 91')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKYWZSjLZKg
    [​IMG]

Saturday preview, Group A - Today's first game is a dead rubber, the hosts trying to salvage pride against the strong group winners. Later, the semifinal decider - Vietnam need only a point to progress on goal difference, while Australia must win.

LIVE Thailand v North Korea (09:00 GMT)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg-s7Iqe7FA
    [​IMG]

LIVE Australia v Vietnam (12:00 GMT)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXMIhipJKnY
    [​IMG]

(Should mention, the livestreams are now geoblocked in east Asia, and north Africa for some reason.)

blissett repped this.
  20. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    I'll miss the big flag. [​IMG] :(

Thailand 1 - 3 North Korea - (Nutwadee Pram-nak 59' - Kim Kyong Yong 5', Ri Chong Gyong 27', Ri Su Gyong 47')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXF_v22FwUQ
    [​IMG]

Australia 1 - 0 Vietnam - (Mary Fowler 84')
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAdUulkw_yg
    [​IMG]

Day... 8, I think?
    Sunday: the last group games to decide Group B: China must beat Japan, Young Nadeshiko, which could make an unlikely 3-way points tie with South Korea, but don't even worry about it. More likely is a semifinal of "Nadeshiko v Asia South" :D I just got it!

LIVE Japan v China (09:00 GMT)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ue-F3glY0
    [​IMG]

AND simultaneously

LIVE South Korea v Myanmar (09:00 GMT)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBVNa1tpGGE
    [​IMG]

blissett repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Do you mean South of Asia or South from the Asia? :rolleyes:

22. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Just doing the maths, Myanmar could still reach the semifinal at this stage, but they'd have to score a ridiculous number of goals. :geek:

blissett repped this.
  23. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    ...Now their task is even harder.

24. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    How good is this U19 Japan team? Didn't the team 2 years ago win the World Cup?