Adult Co-ed -- refereeing approach and considerations?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by CPT_Hoolie, Dec 4, 2017.

1. CPT_Hoolie

CPT_Hoolie Member

May 2, 2013
    Florida (South)
    This past weekend I had the opportunity to referee three Adult Co-ed games. It was a good experience, and the games went well, but I left feeling like I didn't fully grasp the "voice of the customers".

I would love to hear any advice on refereeing Adult Co-ed leagues. Approach, mentality, player management, foul-o-meter calibration, or any other considerations.

Thanks!

dadman repped this.
  2. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Each challenge has to be judged on its own. Is this two skilled guys going for it or is it a inexperienced woman against an experienced guy or some other combination, because all of the combinations will eventually happen? Our league has an 'intimidation' rule that considers a large male going physically aggressive against a small woman to be dangerous play. I haven't had to use that rule of competition in quite a few years, however. I attribute that to the league having divisionalized a while ago. They now have seven divisions, with the 7th division barely knowing what to do when the ball crosses the goal line but not into the goal ("I kid you not") and the first division mostly former college players or, at least, former high school players from larger schools. That tends to even up the expectations of players about how physical play will be/should be.

I tend to be conscious of who came with whom. Guys are going to "look out for" the gal they came with and, occasionally, vice versa. Yeah, I've seen a woman going in hard on a guy who just fouled her boyfriend/husband a minute or two ago. At least in my experience, there is still a tendency for the bandits to gather on the same team. If you recognize that one of your teams today is 'those guys,' then you know to keep things relatively tight and you'll have to do a lot of player management.

BTFOOM, CPT_Hoolie, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  3. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Sorry, got interrupted. For the most part, you will be ahead of the game if your words and demeanor indicate that everybody, including you, is just out there to have a good time and your job is to see that happens. Smiling and an occasional one liner will go a long way. Whistle and point is not the way to approach these games.

Our league allows no more than five male field players. I've seen games with guys on the bench and the team is playing short because they didn't have enough women. I've also seen teams with more than five women field players out there because there weren't enough guys. I am not flexible about allowing more than five male field players when a team doesn't have enough women. The other team will definitely get indignant if you were to allow their opponents more guys and things will go downhill from there.

We also allow no more than two goals per player, so I have to track who scored. Difficult in that league because it is the only local league that doesn't require numbers on shirts. I've found that a good percentage of players don't know the two goal rule, so I always gently remind a player that they've got their two goals. The standard procedure for most teams is that they move the player to defense for the rest of the game. I think that this year I actually had more women than men get their two goals. The women usually react to being told with enjoyment, like they're thinking 'even the ref knows I'm a pretty good player.' The guys tend to be in the 'that's a rule?' category. You can be sure, though, that at least one person on the other team is acutely aware of the rule and will remind you of it.

CPT_Hoolie and dadman repped this.
  4. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Adult co-ed is a mess. I have played it much more than reffed it, because you guys and gals need hazard pay.

I did witness one of my favorite ref/player back and forths, however. I was on a team with 5 averagish other males and two former (low level) D-I females. One of our girls was excellent at positioning her body in a perfect way to let larger males bounce off her and hit the floor. One guy did just that, and looked at the ref for a call. The ref looked at him and said "I'm not going to make that call on the best player in the league." The guy, with obvious pride, said "I don't think I'm quite the best player." The ref laughed and said "No, you aren't. She is."

RespectTheGame, SccrDon, roby and 3 others repped this.
  5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have very little experience with adult games, especially as a center, but I have picked up a few things. When you're doing a low level/low skill co-ed game, the #1 priority is making sure people can get to work the next day. The games that have gotten heated when I've been AR is because the center didn't call the game tight enough and didn't issue the caution when needed to release the building pressure.

BTFOOM, CPT_Hoolie, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  6. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't stand adult co-ed. In my experience, the guys that play adult co-ed are the ones that whine and complain the most.

7. Chaik

Chaik Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Living in a small state, there is no adult men's soccer anywhere. There are one or two co-ed beer leagues. I'd always assumed that if there was men's league the loudmouth jerks in co-ed would go play there and let everyone else have their low-key fun. Guess that isn't the case.

8. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Men's and Women's games are much different in that regard. In a Men's game you always hear the loudmouths because 95% of them are loudmouths. In the Women's game it's the opposite. Pretty much the only time I hear anything out of a female player on the pitch is when they want an explanation for a call or you really messed up. That's why in the coed game you only hear the loudmouth man babies.

CPT_Hoolie and dadman repped this.
  9. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    My advice is “Don’t.” I’ve never been a fan.

RedStar91 repped this.
  10. 65GT350

65GT350 Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The post by Law 5 pretty much covers co-ed soccer around here. All I would add is that make sure you know the rules of competition for that league. In some leagues any sliding tackle is an automatic yellow, others are IFK and or DFK depending on how the tackle was performed. Some have an automatic cool down period for carded players and other will let the player stay in the game.

I agree with Law 5 in regards to your approach to the game and that if you are having fun and doing your best for all players to have fun and be safe then you will be appreciated.

As far as the voice of the customer talk to the assignor if you are really concerned. However, if the voices as all saying the same thing and you can see their point go ahead and adjust your calls.

CPT_Hoolie, dadman and Law5 repped this.
  11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    For me, whining is annoying but it's also the canary in the mine shaft. YMMV, but in my experience, women don't want to hear chatter from the referee. White bread guys need verbal management most of the time. If both teams are yapping, then I probably need to call more. And it's not that rare that one guy is just trying to have you on, to see if you're a regular guy or a referee with a stick up his posterior. I don't find co-ed to be worse than any other league and a lot better than, say, men's O-40 and O-50. Again, YMMV.

CPT_Hoolie, dadman and tomek75 repped this.
  12. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    In addition to good advice already given, I'd recommend checking with others who've done these games for a while. To the extent there are written RoC (!), they may not well capture "the way it is" in your league. As time goes on you can add to that the interactions you have with captains, but that is a resource that takes time to cultivate since both sides need some water under the bridge before there's enough trust to speak frankly in the shadow zone between partisan and neutral.

CPT_Hoolie, dadman and Law5 repped this.
  13. Spencedawgmillionaire

Mar 2, 2017
    Belleville, ILLLLLLLLINOIZE
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    If Tomek is who I think he is, he's reffed me before and was the best we saw. Always took a bit of silliness from me and my friend who played with me but always controlled the game and laughed at us when we did whine.

I'd say just call everything tightly and you won't have issues. I played to get some exercise and have some fun, I quit when aggro younger dudes came in and started getting rough and starting fights. One ref we had called NOTHING and it's the only time I've ever lost my cool while playing a sport. i let things go pretty well, but just call it if you see it.

dadman, tomek75 and CPT_Hoolie repped this.
  14. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played co-ed for almost 10 years back in the 80s. One day we had a ref who wasn't calling anything - even when an opponent called one of our women a bitch after she stole the ball from him (again) and she slapped him across the face. The ref did call 1 thing - he cautioned me when I was screaming at him that he needed to do his job before the match got out of hand (it was getting close at that point).

Mostly, playing co-ed was a LOT of fun, and it's where I met my wife. There were 2 other couples that met on that team, and all 3 couples are still together many years later.

dadman repped this.
  15. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Adult Co-Ed soccer, I have found that the lower the skill level, the more strict that I have to be calling fouls. In my experience, the less skill on the field means less knowledge of the game and the players at that level complain about EVERYTHING.

16. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    A few years ago I played one season of outdoor co-ed rec. I reffed 8 or so matches in the same league over two seasons. Nothing bad happened in any of those games, but I decided to stop doing them anyway. Too many adults acting less mature than the typical U-16 player. Figured I would quit while I was ahead.

Last winter I filled in for a friend on an indoor league game played 6v6 on 1/4 of a full sized pitch. Way too many overweight bodies trying to move full speed in a small space. I tried to referee from on the field and got a couple bruised ribs for my effort. Stupid me, should have stayed away as planned.

dadman repped this.
  17. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My co-ed philosophy: ******** this and give me a men's or women's game instead.

18. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My experience with adult league (co-ed or otherwise) is none of them have knowledge of the game and all players at all levels complain about everything. ;)

dadman repped this.
  19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And EVERY throw is a foul throw.

frankieboylampard and funsoccer12 repped this.
  20. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Our adult league (7v7) solves this problem by not having throws. They place the ball on the ground and kick it back in play Futsal style. Problem solved.:cool:

dadman and ManiacalClown repped this.
  21. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think that's what they do for 7v7 here, too. Not sure if it's universal or just a good idea for fun and simplicity.