ADU: Setubal vs Benfica 10/31 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by smokarz, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    huh?

what does donavon do during PK's?

2. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I couldn't even attempt to describe it. I'm sure someone can find a Youtube.

3. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IS this an aesthetic judgment? Because Landon hasn't missed a PK for the nats in a meaningful situation that I can remember.

4. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    In my mind it's an aesthetic, but also a bit true. I know he's been making them lately, but he's also been taking them very weakly and just picking his side (or middle vs. Mexico) correctly. I just need to look at the SuperLiga match vs. Pachuca to see what happens when the keeper guesses right. Adu is actually taking his PKs with power and precision, beating the keeper, and doesn't do a kiss the knuckles tap-tap-a-roo routine that scares me and is just really, really lame.

5. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    In hoops terms, like a free-throw, a shooter has to be relaxed and in a good rhythm to make the shots consistently. My free-throw routine was three bounces, eye focused on the hoop. Same way with a PK or free kick, clear the mind and stay focused on the goal. The keeper shouldn't stand a chance if you hit it with power and placement. Lanny's little routine seems to be about some internal conversation that has nothing to do with taking a kick, IMO. Keep it simple, if you want to kiss every knuckle and do a tap, there's always time after you make it.

6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't enjoy watching the routine much either, but the routine doesn't show up on the stat sheet, whereas the goals do. Donovan's been effective. Misleading the keeper and putting the shot where he isn't is a pretty reliable strategy and doesn't imply weakness or pending failure.

I also assume Adu is taking the pks for Benfica because he's been effective in practice and on the pitch.

I hope the decision as to which of the two of them take pks for the national team, should the question arise, depends solely on who's hitting them in practice and not at all on anybody's subjective response to Donovan's routine.

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Adu has been through too much in his young career to get overly nervous when taking penalties. That as much as anything else is why he's so good at them.

8. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, despite the "routine" Landon has been very effective at PK's in his career. Having Freddy as a second option is just a good thing, we can leave it at that.

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, I can't think of a guy who has had an easier ride to the top.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    :rolleyes:

http://global-ussoccer.blogspot.com/2007_10_28_archive.html#6500116317766394515

The News: Freddy Adu continued his run of good form, scoring from the penalty spot, and looking dangerous throughout the game, however it wasn’t enough to stave off defeat, and Benfica eventually went down 2-1 in the game to Vitória Setúbal.. With the loss, Benfica was eliminated from the Portuguese Cup 3-2 on aggregate goals.

Of Note: Adu made it two goals in two games, when he converted a penalty for Benfica in first half stoppage time. The goal was his fourth on the season, and third in the cup competition. In the second half, ... For Adu, he started and played 85 minutes, but that will be scant consolation, as his side are now out of the race for the Cup title.

{Same sometimes-blurry highlights.}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceqK...ussoccer.blogspot.com/2007_10_28_archive.html

11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

FYP

12. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

Just proves how "easy" things can seem when someone else is doing it. I watched Grey's Anatomy last night, being a heart surgeon is easy!