Adriano: O Imperador [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Jon Pall, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    People in Series A have been raving about Adriano (including his last game). Where does he fit into the selecao. He is only 21 so i am very certain he will be on the Olympic roster. How should he be utilized?

2. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Adriano is the next Élber. He may be olympic squad material, but will be lucky if he makes the roster for the next World Cup.

3. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    A little harsh, MIG.

If you are saying that he is more prototypical European center forward material (ie. more power and strength than finesse and technique) then I would agree with you....those types of forwards don't usually shine for the Selecao. Whether that is due to style conflicts with the rest of the squad, or simply not being given a chance I'm not sure.

I haven't seen him on a regular basis since his days at Flamengo. Can he create his own shot?

But he's only 21; its hard to say how things will turn out.

4. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I saw him in the Confederations Cup. Seems the limited player that could choke in a crucial time for Brazil.

5. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fbl_bra_ita_adriano&prov=afp&type=lgns

6. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I don't really agree with Adriano being like Elber. I think Adriano may fit better into the Selecao - he definitely will fit in better with the full Selecao playing behind him. This means taht he will benefit from the creativity and chances created by a Ronaldinho, Rivaldo or Kaka or Kleberson, etc. He is scoring Serie A goals, he will be included. Start? Perhaps that is a stretch. BUt I would definitely include him in sudamerica qualifiers. Hopefully he will be healthy, and in 2006 he will still be very young. And he will probably feature in the next Olympic team. He has a future with the Selecao.

Remember, my problem with Elber was that not only was a bat fit with hte Selecao, but his hijinks and BS soured with fans of Brazil + he turned his back on the Selecao and spoke ill of them and the organization in Munich. He's scum to me. In fact this post will be the last time I hopefully have to mention Adriano and Elber in the same sentence.

7. CerezoElegance

CerezoElegance New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Nope, he is not like Elber - he actually turns up when he is named in the squad!!

8. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Like your viewpoint Alex...Adraino is definetly a goal scorer worthy of consideration. I still don't know if he can create his own shot?...does he create opportunities for teammates?

The Selecao is so fluid at this point - with players who create and score - that he might stick out like a sore thumb. IF he's the kind of guy you have to play for, one you have to have the whole team using as a focal point, than he will not be effective with this group of players (IMO). Does he command enough presence for the others to do that? Seems you need more of a guy who will come out of the box and continously look to get involved in the offensive flow. Can he do that? Luis Fabiano seems to be able to (I'm not saying LF is better, but his game might be better suited to Selecao)

Just asking, 'cause haven't seen enough of Adriano lately to know.

But agree with you, he should get his chance to show and prove.

Aside: Has a WC winning Selecao side ever had a pure center forward? The stay in the box kind. Romario definetely was not that in '94 (though he became more and more a fox in the box type afterwards). Maybe Vava...

9. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Go back and watch Adriano's goal against Lazio two weeks ago. If dribbling around five players is not creating your own shot, then no, Adriano can't do that.

Adriano is awesome. You don't score 15 goals in 28 games against the world's tightest defenses without amazing skill and potential. And that was last year when he was 20! This year, he will be the league's top scorer, I truly believe.

IMO, he will be starting for Brazil in 2006 if Ronaldo is broken, which he will be, again IMO.

10. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I will check it out...as I stated in my post I haven't seen enough of him lately. Maybe he has picked up that part of his game. Is he also playing his teammates into space?

This is a issue where I want to be way off base, cause it can only benefit Selecao to have another stud.

However, Parmigiano, I also saw Ruud VN take on a whole defense last year on a 40 yard run to score in some EPL game!...despite that amazing goal, I don't view RVN as a creative type to consistently create his own. In the run of play, over many games, things can occur that are not necessarily an indication of a player's tendencies.

IMO RVN, as good a goal scorer as we know him to be, would not be a natural fit with the Selecao's manner of playing, whereas Titi Henry would. Styles. So, please don't mistake me for an Adriano detractor; I'm just not yet convinced that he is a sure-fire Selecao stud either.

He'll have a chance to show and prove. And don't be so sure L.Fabiano will not beat him to the spot behind Ronaldo.

11. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Adriano may be going back to Internazionale:

http://br.esportes.yahoo.com/031229/4/hile.html

12. caniggia33

caniggia33 New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Adriano

Adriano is a tank - only Brazilian with bigger legs than Carlos!

13. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    They talked about that earlier in the season when he was leading Parma to a higher standing than them. :D He's been out through injury, but has been scoring some pretty great goals - eveyrojnt thought he would suffer without Adrian Mutu there but he'd been doing just fine.

I remember when Inter bought Adriano, right after I think the U-20 championships. He didn't feature... they had Ronaldo, Vieri, Sukur and I think even Robbie Keane. He's been pretty much loaned out since he arrived and the past few years, done well in Italy, a tough league.

Almost could have made my: "I told you so" thread in rivalries. But with injury, I don't think it'll happen now.

On a side... speaking of Olympic teams... that'd be a pretty damn impressive one, no? Adriano there with Kaka, Nilmar, etc. etc.

14. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Right on ALex!!! This should be a unbelivable Olympic squad. We might not even need to bring in Ronaldo as an overage player. Here is a starting lineup without any overage players. Not bad Not bad. The attack is awesome!!!

-------------------Adriano
    -------------------------------Nilmar
    -----------Kaka------------Diego

-----------Baptista-------Renato

Adriano-------Alex-----Luisao------Mancini/Maicon

---------------------Gomes

Isn't Mancini from Roma under 23??

With overage players, I suggest bringing in Roberto Carlos, Dida, and maybe Ronaldinho or a defender like Lucio.

15. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: What of Adriano.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fbl_ita&prov=afp&type=lgns

16. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I bet that Jon Pall has creamed his pants this sunday. ;)

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fbl_copa&prov=afp&type=lgns

17. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Right you are MigKiller...I went through a whole lot of tissue...even during the boring Brasil-Costa Rica game, I was flabbergasted by Adriano's explosiveness. I wonder if Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho, and Kaka can ever play together at the same time. With Adriano bulldozing his way into the box, Ronaldo lurking just outside the area, and Ronaldinho pulling the strings with his usual playmaking magic.just imagine the space Kaka would have to unleash one of his patented long range shots. We could make do with just two hardworking defensive mids...I wish Edgar Davids was a Brazilian.

18. Dinhostyle

Dinhostyle New Member

Jul 9, 2004

I really wish Dunga was still around.

19. Forza_Nerazzurri

Forza_Nerazzurri New Member

May 7, 2004
    Vancouver

Adriano will definitely make the World Cup squad, could very well be starting depending on his upcoming seasons. I had the chance to watch Adriano play quite a bit this year and he's a future star in the making. In the last game of the season (a must win game for Inter) he had a brace and both were beautiful. One was a header and one was a brillant individual effort, putting to rest if he can create his own shot. ;)

You can see it on Inter's site, on the 2003/2004 highlights page which is on the left hand side of the screen.

20. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Adriano top scorer of Copa America so far.

So Jon Pall, how many tissues did you use today? :D

21. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Adriano top scorer of Copa America so far.

Didn't need tissues, I watched the game with a ladyfriend!! :)

--------------Adriano-----------Ronaldo
    ----------------Ronaldinho-------Kaka
    --------------Silva---------------Kleberson/Baptista
    Roberto Carlos-------Luisao/Alex/Juan.etc-----Lucio------Maicon
    --------------------------Dida

22. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mancini is better than maicon imo.

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

How surprised was she when you yelled Adriano's name at that moment?

24. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

A little bit, but I told her it meant, "Good job, take a five minute break" in Portuguese and that straightened it all out. :D

25. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)

His strength is remarkable....kind of like the Iron Mike Tyson of old on the football pitch...with touch of course :). In this Copa America he has proven to be a lot more mobile than I expected (and that I recall from his Flamengo days).

Barring injury to Ronaldo, Kaka, Dinho, I don't see him starting in '06 (if Dada Maravilha could sit on bench in '70, so can Adriano) based on the formation CAP is sure to keep.

Good thing for Brasil that a replacement for Ronaldi is in the wings for '10 and '14!!