Adidas Thread [16] - all info, pics and new here please.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Especially with the X 17.1s geez. The upper is so stiff and unforgiving I highly doubt what the pros are wearing are either leather or a much softer upper (à la X 17.2).
    Also, watching that video was sort of a cringefest for me. They had excellent scripts but I still kinda smell the BS from here...just sayin’. Like the time they said laceless is the way to go but the fact that they always offer a laced model says the opposite.

jayc23 repped this.
  2. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    *I don’t doubt that the pros are wearing leather or a much softer upper.

Sorry for double posting I just thought it was a critical thing to correct myself.

jayc23 and gusgorman repped this.
  3. jihado86

jihado86 Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Adidas should've given Hummels, Nacho (and the other pros preferring leather) Copa 18.1 instead of Predator. But, they keep ignoring Copa.

Jaxinho repped this.
  4. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    You see many players in the MLS using the Copa (MLS is sponsored by Adidas and if you must wear Adidas if you are not sponsored by another brand). They don't have a recognizable face for the silo ( same with Puma and the King).
    If the new Predators are really that good, then you would see more players switching to that silo. Maybe I'm mistaken but if I remeber correctly that in 2011 when they introduced the Adipower, many players switched to that silo.

jayc23 repped this.
  5. lattanzio

lattanzio Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Anyone think the laceless nemeziz for $130 new is worth it? I don't need them, but I kind of want to try them, even though I have like 3 other pairs of boots to break in...

Jaxinho repped this.
  6. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Has anyone on here tried the new Predators? I’ve been offered a pair with laes in which I think I’d prefer given my past history with Adidas laceless boots. Just wondered how they fitted.

appleCORR

7. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Haha! Struggled with this last Black Friday! I had like 2 other pairs to break-in but I also needed as much cash as possible to buy my wife a nice Christmas present so I decided against buying a Nemeziz 17+ for around that price. If you have extra cash why not? I am genuinely curious as to how the laceless thing works.

newone88 and lattanzio repped this.
  8. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    I was surprised at how well they fit my foot. They are quite soft. And the collar is better than the Ace's. I still would prefer the boot to not have a collar mind you.

Oh and current rumour going around in some circles here is that the Pred will have that leather version launch at retail, but not in Japan for some reason. Even though leather boots dominate the market here.
    Several people seem quite annoyed at that, which is understandable.

9. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    @derbyyank13 I know we are both size 26 in Mizunos. What size did you go for in the new Preds?

derbyyank13 repped this.
  10. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Same size for me. 26 fit me perfect. I would say they fit every so slightly longer than Morelia 2, but not enough to change sizes.

Jaxinho repped this.
  11. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

is there a point in a leather Predator 18? I mean right now what the pros seem to have is a disguised Ace 16.1 Leather version since there's no rubber elements or anything.

better off getting the Copa 17.1s.

I've learnt after many tough lessons that the Japan fit boots just don't fit my feet, although i loved the Ace 16.1 HG soleplate, the fit is just too narrow for me, sadly.

BTW, sizing for the Pred 18+? Jaymike says up half a size, but SR4U says down half a size. my local store doesn't really let people try out sizes unless you're buying from them directly but they never have any discounts.

12. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Both @derbyyank13 and @23ninety went with their true (Mizuno) size...but they got the 18.1. IDK if that helps but I’ve had experience going down half a size in adidas and it wasn’t pretty.

derbyyank13 repped this.
  13. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Yeah fair point. Might as well get the Copa 18.1. More leather and should be cheaper than a Pred leather.
    I can understand if they don't fit your feet as well. The only Japan-only boots that are wider are things like the Puma One HG Japan and the Adidas Pathiqe Gloro. The Adidas HG boots and Nike AG boots are pretty much on the same last.

Honestly, I think you should go true to size on the 18+. I haven't tried them on yet but I feel like that might work. Make sure you can return them from whichever place you buy them from.
    I'm surprised your local store can get away with a policy like that. We tried and got immediately shouted down by the owner and some customers.

14. kelani9

kelani9 Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I tried the pred 18+ on in my standard size and the fit in the heel and midfoot was the best I've ever seen. My toes felt cramped width wise. I went a half size up and the toebox was perfect but then i had a little more room than I'd like above the ball of my foot. If you have a narrow heel/low instep I'd say go true to size. If you have a wider forefoot go a half size up. The upper is fantastic: soft touch, supportive, consistent feel throughout, the right thickness, sleek. The soleplate had a nice width to it and the stud shape and length was ideal. It felt like stud pressure wouldn't be an issue. I think I'm gonna give them a go, eventhough I still don't like the sock boots. I think they could have made the collar even lower, like the ones Nacho is wearing.
    Also: how is this not a thing? https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i4/...SZFPXXc5_XXa_!!889120098-0-beehive-scenes.jpg

15. lattanzio

lattanzio Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    30% off adidas.com today (US only maybe) with code FRIENDS if anyone is interested. I've been thinking about the nemeziz but wound up getting a pair of the red and black purespeeds.

16. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm looking forward to giving mine ago - I want to see just how soft the fins are. I got lucky and these were a freebie from a friend. So if I do end up being disappointed I won't be out of pocket.

appleCORR

17. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    ah, nice thanks. probably will get teh 18.1s once prices start dropping. or if my friend manages to snag a discounted Rebula, whichever comes first aha.

yea, well, they're pretty much the only shop in the country (we're pretty small) that sells the 18+/Obra range of boots so no one bothers to say too much i guess. with the purespeeds/Purecontrols most of the boots they had were wrapped in clingwrap to protect them lol

derbyyank13 repped this.
  18. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    That's true. It's not like you'll get a ton of big stores in Singapore!
    I'd go for the 18.1s just to have the laces. You already know how I feel about the Rebulas. I'd take those over any other boot out there right now!

Must be nice to have that kind of dominance in the market when it comes to those boots.

Ah they do the wrapping in clingwrap there? I noticed that was very common when I visited China and Hong Kong. We never did anything like that in the States. Maybe we should have!

19. 2k2tii

2k2tii Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I got the predator 18.1’s to try out instead of the 18+ for all of the obvious reasons (laces).

In short, the 18.1 is garbage. The toe box has too much dead space and the material is flimsy. Teijin synthetic uppers on nike’s Vapor line is still far superior.

The toe box material on the 18.1 creases uncomfortably also.

No go for me.

Jaxinho repped this.
  20. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    That's sucks that you don't like them. Personally, they fit me perfectly and I like how soft the material felt. I was honestly shocked at the feel.

I am not a huge fan of how stiff the Vapors feel though. I think they've only gone downhill after the Vapor VIIIs revived the line.

jayc23 and kelani9 repped this.
  21. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Honestly I was expecting a feedback like this for a couple days now since people have been receiving their new Predator 18 orders. I have not tried this silo but this i’ll say about adidas in general... I am not a fan. Here are my reasons summarized:

- I am a size 7.5US (40.6 EU) in adidas boots but there is still some extra space between my longest toe and the end of the toebox. Logically i’ve tried going down to a 7US (40 EU) but it was unbearably small lengthwise.

- They honestly look cheap. Very subjective, of course, but compared to high-end Nike or Puma they just look cheap (I’m looking at you, X 16.1, X 17.1, and Copa 17.1)

- I feel the Copa 17.1 and 18.1 are somewhat of an afterthought. Like, a line of modern k-leather boots just because.

- The Ace had nothing ‘special’ to offer, aside from the (almost useless) laceless model.

- Adidas seems to innovate just for the sake of it. More of a focus on the ‘wow’ factor, if anything.

And last but not least

- I feel like the adidas pro footballers are the ones who have more or drastically modified boots in-game. Makes me feel like adidas are doing these mods to compensate for their mediocre boots, so said athletes would not be left dissatisfied. I could be wrong though, of course. We never really know the exact workings of these custom pro boots.

jayc23 repped this.
  22. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

Yea, this is probably my biggest gripe with Adidas, that their athletes consistently have such heavily modified boots (i.e Messi using a heavily mocked up 16.1 version of his nemeziz, among others), and the farce that was the likes of Hummels etc using leather versions of it that aren't even available.

I mean sure, Nike/Puma aren't saints either, but minus say carbon inserts and slightly lowered collars, I'd argue that their athletes don't get THAT different boots from ours. Also, the durability of the Ace 17 series was ridiculosuly poor. my pure controls came out after around 6 months. 1 of the kids whom i coach had his split in roughly 2 months. nuts.

Still can't wait to try out the 18.1s though. Material seems soft enough to give it a go and if it fits my foot shape I'm all in for em.

chivamex10 repped this.
  23. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    I agree with you. IMO it should be illegal for a player to wear modified boots if they are advertising a particular boot. Its bad enough that young kids are tricked into wearing take downs which are actually nothing like the top end boots whatsover, but when a player doesn't even wear the top end model, how are they legitimately the famous face of that product?

Perhaps I am being overly idealistic here, and somewhat ignorant of how the law works.... but anyway I don't like it :)

jayc23, Jaxinho and newone88 repped this.
  24. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    The Women's Predator 18.1 colorway looks nice

upload_2017-12-12_19-42-34.png

25. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So after 4 weeks of being away from home I’ve finally worn my Predator 18.1’s this afternoon in a 3 hour session on 4G turf.

When I first saw these boots I thought they look thick, heavy and chunky where in fact they are the exact opposite they are really light, thin and streamline. Which really surprised me as I honestly thought that Adidas had just stuck some thick rubber fins on the top of a sock boot and ruined a classic boot.

When I finally got the boot on (have to admit this took me about 10 minutes! This boot desperately needs a loop at the back or a shoe horn in the box) I was amazed at how light they were and how comfy the soleplate felt these boots required no break in period for me and I don’t have any signs of blisters from the boot. I went with a size 7 and found them true to size.

The predator elements impressed me. It was like they weren’t there. I was expecting not to be able to feel the ball very well and that’s important to me because I freestyle and I need to feel the ball in order to rotate it etc and I could do that in these boots. I cannot believe how thin but effective they are. I didn’t have any issues with them creasing and becoming uncomfortable they fitted like a glove and I’ve worn Predators from back in the day my very first pair were the original ones that had the red tongue! And these are what a predator should be like they give you whip and pace when you want it but keep all the mod cons of a current boot. In fact for me the predator elements were thinner than the Primeknit on the Ace boots. I also think that the upper will get softer the more you wear them. And the pitch I was playing on was wet and I didn’t lose any of the grip on the predator elements.

I love the sole plate as I said I played on a wet 4G turf and had no problem with slipping or twisting the sole felt perfect. I also didn’t get any stud pressure which is something I always get from Adidas boots which surprised me!

I’m really impressed with these boots and I’m surprised. Adidas have done a great job with these. I’m glad I got a pair with laces the lock down was perfect no sliding around.

My only criticism was it took so long to get them on my feet - but I have a problem getting some sock boots on anyway the HV3 was a nightmare for me! This might become easier the more I wear them though.

Anyone one who’s looked at these boots and had the same view as me that they were heavy etc. Go and pick a pair up. Try them on because I think you’ll be impressed!

appleCORR

isaacmejia, Pangu, jayc23 and 2 others repped this.