Adidas Thread [16] - all info, pics and new here please.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Aug 28, 2015.

1. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

haha yea, I think they're purposely not coming up with a collar-less version tbh.

I guess for what its worth, I'm quite happy that they've brought the Predator back as a modern version and not just repeat the whole K-Leather, as long as it performs well. Yea, they might not have that 'traditional', feel but Preds were always meant to be sort of the cutting edge game changing boot for control and spin.

Jaxinho and derbyyank13 repped this.
  2. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    That’s true. It’s always been about innovation. These online pictures that have recently leaked have me thinking otherwise, that I actually think I like them now aesthetics-wise. Instagram user PJiménez71 is the second person to say it does not have rubber elements which obviously suck for the purists, but I just hope they get something grippy on it similar to the grip elements on the Flyknit Ultra. Those are very grippy by modern standards.

Ever since the big silo overhaul of 2015 i’ve hated adidas (for multiple reasons, mostly being the fit and sizing for my feet) but i’m willing to give the new Preds a try.

derbyyank13 repped this.
  3. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    So one of my buddies here is the manger of the soccer section of his store. Adidas paid for him to attend a Predator launch event in Tokyo.

He said the boots felt great and the fit was much better than the Ace.

4. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

the question on everyone's mind seems to be how grippy the elements are HAHA. are they LZ-esque?

5. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Forgot to ask him to be honest. I can ask him tomorrow.

6. ACLexo14

ACLexo14 New Member

Aug 7, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Does anyone know the full lineup that adidas will release for the Predator 18 silo? A leather version of the 18.1 with the laces would be a dream come true...

7. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    Some pros were testing the leather version (see below) but not sure if it will be available to the general public.

I think the hype machine already started. If you get many pros to switch to this new cleat, then it will be a big hit for Adidas. I think the younger generation need an icon boot of their own :)

You will see many bloggers and reviewers hyping this up even if they don't like it. It is a win win for both Adidas and the hype machine they sponsor as well.

I'm intrigued and looking forward to testing it myself :)

upload_2017-11-21_9-30-7.png

upload_2017-11-21_9-30-48.png

upload_2017-11-21_9-31-6.png

upload_2017-11-21_9-31-24.png

upload_2017-11-21_9-31-49.png

derbyyank13 repped this.
  8. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    I took a screenshot of Instagram user pjimenez71’s post and comments about the laceless 18+

CD4F021D-D8AA-4F54-A37D-4D05621CF275.jpeg

B8087A84-C54B-446D-8E4B-5F6C1FB8849D.jpeg

D23CD756-63DD-4CD7-99CC-F5B1F7F718C8.jpeg

806F6E99-AE29-4A39-B936-562C5115C90B.jpeg

9. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    turf ones look interesting to me, quite a decent amount of boost in there.

IDK about an iconic boot for this generation. I'd much prefer if a brand really created one and stuck with it, vs reviving an old legend for this gen, but definitely Adidas are pumping in alot more money in terms of marketing for sure.

10. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1710 cadmonkey12, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  11. MRBA

MRBA Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I admit it, I'm interested in the new Predator, but it's probably mostly because of the name. Which is a shame. Adidas have just somewhat "lazily" put an iconic name on a new boot and gotten away with it.

I like the studs being more rounded, and the rubberized zones look pretty decent.

All in all I think this lacks a lot of that "mojo" that made the original so good. Maybe I'll reserve further judgement until I've tried them out, but I would have really liked to see them in leather, and with a low cut.

appleCORR7 repped this.
  12. gusgorman

gusgorman Member

May 14, 2013
    Bristol, UK
    To me it looks as if it has got something in common with the Copa 17.1, in so much as it is relying on a fabric/elasticated section to hold the boot in place (ie like the compression tongue on the Copa 17.1 which was a misnomer because it was much more than a tongue).

I hated this because:
    1) The elastic restricted circulation and movement
    2) Protection is almost zero

Will be interesting to see what peoples experiences are with it.

13. SSFC5

SSFC5 Member

May 17, 2011
    United States
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What are folk's experience with laceless boots like the ACE? Really wanting to get a pair of the Predator + (cause aesthetics) but concerned about not getting a tight fit or a good lock without laces.

Currently using the Superfly V and although they feel OK when i just slip them on without tightening the laces, they feel way better when I do. Cheers!

14. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hit the nail on the head!

I understand that boots have progressed over the last few years and socks seem to be the way to go but these just look poorly made and poorly designed.

I have to say that I’m inquisitive about these boots I’d love to try them. But I don’t want to buy them because I just don’t think I’d like the touch. The predator elements even though people have said they feel light etc. They just look too chunky! I think they could have brought these boots back looking a lot more sleek and of course, I would have LOVED a black/red/white colour way I think Adidas missed a trick with trying to do something new to a classic that is so hugely associated to those colours. I think these could slip under the radar of a lot of people unless you know about them because they look so plain.

appleCORR

15. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    Damn Daniel! Hummels at it again with the ripped big toe area!

VERY INTERESTING though. A leather Predator 18.1. 381DE96F-11FB-4FB7-BD8F-0EB63625D043.jpeg

16. SClugston9

SClugston9 New Member

Bayern München
    United States
    Nov 22, 2017
    Yo I’m new to this forum but I️ got a few quick questions but with a fairly long backstory that justifies my questions at the bottom. TL/DR down there also.

Let me start all the way at the beginning a couple of months ago. I’ve been wearing X 15.1s since they have came out and I’ve finally been looking for a change. In August, before the start of my high school season, I️ bought new adidas x 17+ from my local soccer shop. I tried them for a few days and they were too big because the store sized me wrong. Luckily they took them back against their policy because it was a workers error. I️ got the same cleats but in a smaller size. Weeks go by and I️ was constantly getting huge blisters on my heels that are not normal at all. I gave up on the cleats and went back to my x 15s until the end of the high school season. I️ called up the store again and once again, they luckily took them back because they’ve been receiving complaints about X17s at the heel. I️ go back into the store and give up on the X line and try on the nemeziz. I️ go a whole size down and finally find the nice comfortable and tight fit I️ am looking for. Weeks go by again and I️ start to believe that the cleats have stretched. My feet are sliding all over and I️ have to tie the cleats tighter than before making it look like the material is about to rip and my feet are still slipping around in the cleats. I️ truly believe that the store will not take them back at this point after multiple tries lol. Here’s my main questions,
    - Has anyone experienced their Nemeziz 17.1s stretching?
    - Will adidas take them back if a call them directly?
    - If I️ do get a refund (by a miracle) or have to bite the bullet and buy a different cleat, would the Nike Mercurial Vapor/ vapor ultra be what I️ am looking for in a tight fitting and responsive boot for my narrow feet?

Thanks in advance to any responses.

TL/DR Read the 3 questions right above.

17. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

one of the shoes that you need to try on to see if it fits your foot shape. for me i've got slightly wider feet so i guess i'm sort of stretching out the boot as it is so i do get quite good lockdown. I like them, but not enough to recommend someone to get them at $300.

On a side note though, the collar for the new preds is different, looks closer to a Magista/Superfly one so we might not be that accurate.

SSFC5 repped this.
  18. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    I’ll be honest with you, and this being the adidas forum I might get hate for this, but I think what you’re looking for might be with Nike. Their sizing (at least for me) is better, and the top-tier boots don’t seem cheap unlike some of the adidas ones. If you want a knitted upper, i’d recommend the Superfly V for it being kind of narrow and tight-fitting; the Flyknit Ultra for it being very grippy, very soft fit around your feet, and is wider than the Superfly; or even the Phantom 3 where it is Flyknit but it feels a lot more sturdy than all the other Flyknit models from Nike. It feels very well built and solid. Amazing lockdown as well. Of course if you want the tightest, most responsive then you’re better off with the Vapors.

19. Jaxinho

Jaxinho Member

Chelsea
    France
    May 16, 2017
    Sacramento, CA
    You most likely will enjoy a laced model (maybe the 18.1) than the laceless one since you’re used to the Superfly V. These laceless boots from adidas are tight-feeling when brand new and when lightly jogging/standing in place but when it comes to intense action you will experience some roll-over and, worst of all, your toes smashing into the front edge of the boots.
    I got 2 teammates who swear by the laceless silos but maybe it really suits their feet type/shape really well.

jayc23 and SSFC5 repped this.
  20. SClugston9

SClugston9 New Member

Bayern München
    United States
    Nov 22, 2017
    Thanks for the response. I’ve been using adidas my whole life but I️ agree that adidas’ boots right now are not that great for lockdown and responsiveness

21. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wasn’t a big fan of the Adidas laceless boots really stiff at first and once your broke. The front in your foot just slides everywhere. I didn’t like them. Really poor fitting boot for me.

appleCORR

SSFC5, newone88 and Jaxinho repped this.
  22. chivamex10

chivamex10 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    your mom's house
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's been while since I made a footy youtube vid.

My local shop had a 40% black friday sale.. Super happy.

23. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm currently staying at my sisters and there is a big Adidas outlet nearby. Nothing too exciting in the football boot section this time but they did have match balls for £47.00 great price but sadly something I don't need at the moment. I always love Adidas match balls over Nike's the touch and feel is amazing.

appleCORR

derbyyank13 repped this.
  24. newone88

newone88 Member

May 2, 2006
    San Francisco
    New Copa 18.1 with Primeknit sock released in Japan

upload_2017-11-28_8-41-45.png

derbyyank13 repped this.
  25. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Anyone see on Unisport where they interviewed one of the new Pred designers? I thought it was funny how he said something along the lines of a leather boot isn't the right product for "today's player" even though some pros are getting custom leather versions.

gusgorman, derbyyank13 and Jaxinho repped this.