Adidas Thread [15] - all questions, pictures, boots here.

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayMike-DK

JayMike-DK Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Loving those - and actually the shade of red is matching up pretty well with the old Preds it seems.

The Footy Collector repped this.
  2. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Fellow Australian here... sobs...

AdidasPredatorMANIAC and Alex57910 repped this.
  3. davidas

davidas Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  4. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ^ Surely not..

5. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1056 Dr. Boots, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    So I got around to trying on the Messi, X, and Ace today....the latter two being the synthetic, as the adidas store didn't stock leather models.

What a bust....they are awful out of the box, I can't even fathom playing in them. The best of the bunch was the Ace, but the inside was too slick and the upper too stiff. I didn't like the insole material, they should have stuck with the suede material. All and all it was a major let down.

The X could be ok if it wasn't for the life jacket they have stuffed into the heel counter because the fit was decent. It is just the heel...WTF? The F50 was great with the suede material, why they needlessly altered this is anyone's guess, but why adidas does a lot of things is anyone's guess. The collar is pretty stupid and does nothing but give a visual look of 1994's Diadora Matchwinner. As I said before, it only covers the top of the foot, the lacing system is totally open which leads to the cage not sitting flush when tightened.

Lastly the Messi boot....what a load of suck. The outsole is a rip off from the awful minimal plate trend of the mid to late 2000's, think Vapor 3 (which sucked, nostalgia be damned). The midsole is thick and doesn't flex well, the "Messicage" is bumped out thick plastic that isn't even fully attached to the mesh which will create gapping issues, and the fit is awful...the other two boots were snug length wise in an 11 and the 11 here was about 3/4 of a size long, but the boot is so narrow and pointed you couldn't size down reasonably. It is like adidas took the worst features of all the Vapor over the years (sans a lace cover) and then added a few of their own god awful touches to it. To be fair the upper was the best of the synthetics out of the three.

It just speaks volumes of far adidas has fallen...they jumped the shark with the Tunit and it has never come back for them. They have somehow managed to muck up what did work (Pred and F50 adiZero) and become a joke, all while having arguably the greatest player in history on their books.

Nike managed to become today's Nike because of Jordan, marketing, and making cool stuff...adidas has a comparable player in both talent and marketability and they keep doing this shit all while the bottom falls out.

mretrum, b0sk1, TRIXTA805 and 7 others repped this.
  6. Pangu

Pangu Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am confident that if you gave the Ace leather a try you would be pleasantly surprised :). I tried all the models in synthetic and leather - besides the Messi

7. ghost_striker

ghost_striker Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bought a pair of 11pro 3's in black and white on sale. What a shame that adidas phased out the silo. The boots molded perfectly to my feet after one training session - the leather really is top notch. They could have been one of the most comfortable pair of boots I've worn if it wasn't for the stupid strip of synthetic that runs down the middle of the forefoot. Still, it's the best boot from adidas in years in my opinion.

b0sk1 repped this.
  8. Andrew McCole

Andrew McCole Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Having tested them all extensively, I can assure you that none of them have me rushing out to buy several pairs...however, all of the releases feel like they have set the brand up nicely for the future. Yes, the issues are plentiful and quite obvious to even the most untrained eye, but everyone has already seen from leaks that adidas is going to update them all in 2016. For that reason, the 2015 boots feel like good templates for future editions, but the boot world's patience is not eternal...the three stripes has certainly bought themselves some time, but 2016 needs to see some marked improvements.

At the very least, a boot with legitimate AG/FG capabilities like the ACE (the X and Messi patterns are a bit too long to truly be considered perfect for both surfaces) is an innovation that should have been made long ago...too many people are limited to predominantly playing on AG surfaces, and the brands need to recognize that.

b0sk1, jayc23 and Dr. Boots repped this.
  9. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've said this all along - I don't know what they were thinking with the material they used for the tech fit collar. And I'm really surprised nobody fed back on it during the testing sessions be it a player or just random Joe Bloggs. It's like a wet suit material and I find whenever you plant your foot down for a cross or a long ball you lose your balance for a split second where your foot slips. Which is a shame because I think its a pretty decent synthetic to more you wear it the softer it becomes and you do get a nice touch - its just the boot lacks stability especially if you have the synthetic ones with the tech fit collar. You can see why the pros have opted for the leather version. I still think they are just a new version of the F50 that Adidas have tried to re-brand.

As for the Ace - I got given a pair of synthetic boots and I actually quite liked them. As soon as I put them on they reminded me instantly of the LZ2. I don't really have any complaints about this boot. I didn't find the inside of the boot too slick and had no problem with the sole. I did find them a little but snug and could probably have done with going up half a size, and they are taking a while to break in but I think they are nice boots, but again - these boots could easily have been called Predators because thats what they practically are. You get power and swerve behind your shots in the Ace.

I know everyone on here slags of Adidas - But I don't think that their boots have actually been that bad, once I got over the initial disappointment of theses boots being hyped for ages, once they were on my feet I knew i was wearing a pair of F50 and Predators even though Adidas wanted to break away from that. All I can see Adidas doing at the minute is producing theses 2 models in about 100 colourways when id prefer for them to be working a boot like Primeknit.

So basically if you were gutted when they stopped the predator line, pick up a pair of Ace's. And if you loved the earlier F50 (the neon yellow/red version) grab yourselves some Xs but just watch out for that collar.

appleCORR

derbyyank13 and Pangu repped this.
  10. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think I will like that one, honestly. My complaints about the Ace were limited and I think the feel would be drastically improved with leather.

I had my F50 leather on yesterday and it just reminded me that I should scour eBay for what is left of them.

Pangu repped this.
  11. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I think I just need the leather Ace...not sure on the X...if it has the same stupid heel then it's going to be crap. That is a blister waiting to burst and stress your achilles doesn't need.

12. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just don't like the lack of stability with the Xs - I find myself over thinking that I'm going to lose my footing when it comes to crosses etc. I should of got a leather pair but I play a lot on turf and they'd just get trashed. I should really try the X with my trusox and see how much a difference that makes.

appleCORR

13. Pangu

Pangu Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The leather X just feels like a pair of f50's. No sock sleeve thing either!

14. JEN14

JEN14 Red Card

May 8, 2014
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Which gen?

15. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Most recently I have been wearing the whiteout of the Gen 5/2014 model, but all the leather models before the three stud stupidity have been great for me personally in terms of fit/performance. Durability was an issue for all of them up to the ones I am using now, but then again my play has been sporadic at best since my saga of knee injuries. For what it is worth I am lightly striking a ball now and probably won't be clear to play for real until the spring if I avoid a tissue graft. Future follow up appointment for that is in 8 weeks.

A lot of people slagged off the leather model of the gen I am wearing but I find it to be excellent...I think some of that comes from the model that was leather/Speedfoil vs. the model that was leather/faux leather and functioned better on foot.

I think the 1.5 leather (2nd gen) in orange with black was my absolute favorite performing model...that might also be a tad of nostalgia creeping in because when I was wearing that boot I was in rich form and scoring at will, but it was one of the only boots that I had zero performance grips about in match play. Nothing about the boot felt like it hindered me in anyway. Perfect amount of supple feel, flex, fit, and general confidence in how when I put them on, I knew what I was getting. The best way to sum them up was that I never worried about the boots when they were on my feet, I was just able to focus on kicking ass while I wore them.

16. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, the heel looks to be suede or faux suede anyway...I will probably snag a pair of the black or blue ones. I really hope they drop the white/silver in leather. I am getting pretty partial to white on silver and whiteout boots these days given how hot 3G/4G pitches get.

17. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    10,000 x rep if I could.

18. Chrisaurus16

Chrisaurus16 New Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Singapore
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the 11pro 3 is by far my favourite boot I have ever worn

19. JEN14

JEN14 Red Card

May 8, 2014
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yep.... It's very rarely you wear boots that you don't think about when you're wearing too. Recently I've found that to be the Obras.... Tempted to pick up a pair in SG but too expensive really.

I have to disagree about the F50s too - the first gen (2010) model was just brilliant. I have the Messi ones from the world cup and they remain my favourite ever boots. They revolutionised how I saw football boots..... I still have them but the soleplate has a big crack across them so can't wear them now.

Still.... I got the Xs months ago in blue... Good boots. Not tried the Ace but seen them in person and they just seem like ordinary solid football boots. Nothing special - just ordinary.

The Xs I don't really wear. I very rarely play on FG... And for AG I just find the Obra soleplate performs better. Small conical studs... So simple but really works.

Still.... If anybody sees some old F50s in leather and SG... Please post them on here!

20. The Footy Collector

May 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has anybody else seen this? Love the look of the design, hate the color.

JEN14 repped this.
  21. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    the Messi's were an absolute shame with the 'cage material' considering their upper is right up there as one of the best synthetic leather uppers out there along with the Maestri 3 nike skin.

22. Pangu

Pangu Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thats the exact same conversation i had with the chap who worked at Adidas. That synthetic needs to be on a different boot!

23. niterida09

niterida09 Member

Dec 20, 2005

these are MF BOSS SON!!!!!!!! good job

vanjory and The Footy Collector repped this.
  24. MbsMatt

MbsMatt New Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hi guys, joined to ask, sorry if I post in wrong section, found some f50's online for cheap. What should I look for to tell if they are legit? Should I post the pictures I have received? Thanks for any help.