Adding more runners-up to the Champions League

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by shizzle787, Sep 9, 2015.

1. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what I am thinking: The runners-up from leagues ranked 16-25 will now have a chance to qualify for the Champions League group stage via the non-champions qualifying path. They will start in the first qualifying round, with the five winners joining the runners-up of leagues 11-15 in the second qualifying round (the latter five will be mad about starting a round earlier, but they are hardly deserving of an automatic berth to the third qualifying round they currently enjoy). The five winners of the second qualifying round join the third place team from league six and the runners-ups of leagues 7-10, and the rest of the Champions League continues as normal. However, I am also not a fan of third place finishers in the group stage dropping into the knockout rounds of the EL. As a result, I would like to see those teams receive some form of financial compensation for losing the EL loophole, and the EL proper would start with 64 teams instead of 48 (preferably straight knockout). As a result of gaining a CL berth, leagues 16-25 would only have 2 EL berths, but I think it is a switch they would be willing to make. What do you think?

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the runners-up from leagues 16 to 25 are deserving of access to the Champions League, and starting them in Qualifying Round 1 would mean they would have to advance two rounds to Qualifying Round 3 to get to a point where the losers enter the Europa League, so it could make it harder for those clubs to reach the Europa League Group Stage. The 10 runners-up from leagues 16 to 25 that started in the 2015-2016 Europa League Qualifying Round 1 or 2 (depending on the league) had an average club coefficient of 12.300, which is worse than all 15 non-champions in that qualifying path. Rapid Wien had a 15.635 club coefficient, which was the worst of the 15 non-champions.