Actual MASL news for actual MASL fans

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by mjames1229, Jan 6, 2019.

1. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, it doesn't exist.

GK of the year candidate and the GK for the top team in the MASL goes down with injury on Saturday, and 24 hours later I can't find a word on actually what the issue is.

I am blocked from commenting in the Wave Facebook page (for having the audacity to ask for the occasional news update instead of their preferred "Rah rah, isn't this team great!?!?!?" cheer leading nonsense) and they've probably learned to ignore my Twitter comments, too.

Capture.JPG

Specific to Lemos' injury, I get that being out of the country on a Saturday with another game a day later means he likely has had no significant medical testing (MRI, etc). But even a first year trainer can know if a knee injury is an ACL tear or not, for example. Also pretty easy to determine a muscle injury that will prevent play for a few days. That Wave comment (above) "We'll provide an update as soon as we get more information" is bunk... it just takes a text message to get an update and could be done in about 45 seconds.

So, why aren't fans allowed in the most basic of injury updates and news? The MASL website has an Injury Report tab, but that isn't actually updated on the weekend when, you know, most games are played.

The question is hypothetical. I know the answer (that is, nobody but the 12 of us care). But in this age of instant communication and updates, the fact that a league that calls itself "Major" is just a second-rate, penny-ante bullshyt organization.

Rant over. Thank you for your time.

2. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of our Saint Louis Ambush defenders, Robert Acosta, has been out 6 of 8 games this season. Someone said on Facebook that he was 'nursing an injury' but no details, no timetable for return. We don't seem to be missing our reigning Defender of the year that much, but the lack of injury updates is frustrating. Seems that the league isn't that concerned about making the teams give actual injury updates with expected return dates. Agreed that the Wave are hiding the ball on the Lemos injury, meaning it's probably more serious. I do know a guy who knows some Wave players, friends with a few of them , I will ask him and see if he knows anything.

3. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta played for the Ambush on Dec 31 in Milwaukee.

I just took the time to find Lemos' injury on YouTube, happened with less than a minute to go in the 3rd quarter against the MetroStars.

A non contact injury; he was just past the yellow line and distributed the ball when he went down. The camera angle wasn't the greatest but it appeared that his plant leg buckled when he kicked the ball. This isn't a short-term thing, making the Wave's FB page post about "we'll post an update" even more asinine.

4. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, so Acosta did play recently, I was traveling so missed the Dec. 31 game. I have some info for you as well, I will send a PM.

mjames1229 repped this.
  5. Inddor Fan

Inddor Fan Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey!
    I saw that injury and love to watch him play.
    Post any update on here....unless you work for the League and wanna keep it a secret?

6. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andre Hayne dislocated his shoulder in Utica and will be out a while.

SteveCo repped this.
  7. Inddor Fan

Inddor Fan Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How come the game is not on YouTube?

8. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Do you mean the Milwaukee-Utica game? It is on there.

9. Inddor Fan

Inddor Fan Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Love it....Thanks

Ferdinand Cesarano repped this.
  10. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't on for awhile because of music rights issues. That's what happens when you play music during play but don't pay a fee to broadcast that music over the internet.

11. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    So any news on Lemos?

12. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I watched the game on Sunday evening, just after it was played.

13. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .He suffered a lower body injury, no word on timetables on a return. Hope he recovers soon.

14. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My source confirmed to me that it was a groin injury. I asked him if Rafa could play two games in 24 hours this weekend, and he raised his eyebrows.

Then I asked if they can get Marcel Feenstra on the batphone, and there was some indication that it would be a one-sided conversation between the Wave and Kokalis... and then he clammed up.

15. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    What does Kokalis have to do with Feenstra?

firesting81 repped this.
  16. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked the same question as I thought Florida has his rights.

Could be that he meant Andrew Haines (confusing the Rampage to Florida with the Ambush to Florida).

I'd say that with whomever holds Feenstra's rights, I'd guess a fair trade would be a jar of peanut butter and a dozen bagels.

17. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I went to watch it again, it was blocked in the US for copyright reasons.

18. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My seat for today's game was near the non-dressed players were seated.

Tenzin Rampa was walking with two canes... he won't be back any time soon.

Also saw Josh Lemos. He was seated in the last row of the middle tier, and he took the stairs two-at-a-time each time he went back to his seat.

I didn't see Ian Bennett or Max Ferdinand in the stands.

19. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I've heard of Toucan Sam but not Two-cane Ram.

20. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this was posted somewhere else but currently there is an MASL game on Eleven sports. Channel 623 on DIRECTV

21. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Speaking of Kokalis, this article does not paint a flattering portrait of his last days in indoor football in Cedar Rapids...

22. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is now a game of the week, and they also have a feed through ElevenSports. All listed on the MASL page.

23. Joey Tee

Joey Tee Member

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 12, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Baltimore Game last night was in a 4-5 second delay of audio vs the game action, even while being on a "cable" channel. All Eleven Sports is doing (Channel 623 on DirecTV) is funneling the stream from youtube. There is no actual broadcast work being done by the network. It was a pain in the rear to listen to it.

SteveCo and Scooge repped this.
  24. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    It’s a bit shocking that Baltimore has not figured this out by now.

SteveCo and Joey Tee repped this.
  25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's okay, it's not an actual network.

But seriously...it's really expensive to do this from scratch. (And do it halfway well.)

It's somewhat remarkable that you can just almost take it for granted now that you can dial up nearly any game easily and watch it.

But this sport doesn't have the resources, nor can it generate the revenue necessary, to do a full-blown national TV production. Or to have multiple playoff series. Or many of the things people complain about there not being.

SteveCo and Joey Tee repped this.