ACC 2017

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Carolina92, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I guess I'll start this thread now that there are only three games left in the regular season.

ACC not having the strongest year in recent memory (at least in terms of teams at the top at the national level). Only six teams have consistently been in the top 25 for the majority of the season. Still, the ACC has walked away with some high quality non-conference wins against South Carolina, Florida, West Virginia and Penn State. UNC and Duke have pulled away from the pack and appear to be the conference's best chance at taking home the national title. Virginia, Wake Forest and Florida State appear to be the next tier down. Followed by Notre Dame, NC State and Boston College. Outside of UNC and Duke, a lot can still change with three games left for each team.

Current standings (along with preseason projections)

1 (tie) - Duke - 21 pts. (Preseason - 3rd)
    1 (tie) - UNC - 21 pts. (Preseason - 2nd)
    3 - Wake Forest - 13 pts. (Preseason - 9th)
    4 (tie) - Virginia - 12 pts. (Preseason - 4th)
    4 (tie) Florida State - 12 pts. (Preseason - 1st)
    6 (tie) NC State - 10 pts. (Preseason - 7th)
    6 (tie) Boston College - 10 pts. (Preseason - 10th)
    6 (tie) Notre Dame - 10 pts. (Preseason - 5th)
    9 - Louisville - 9 pts. (Preseason - 12th)
    10 - Clemson - 8 pts. (Preseason - 6th)
    11 - Virginia Tech - 6 pts. (Preseason - 8th)
    12 - Syracuse - 4 pts (Preseason - 13th)
    13 - Pittsburgh - 1 pts. (Preseason - 14th)
    14 - Miami - 0 pts (Preseason - 11th)

mpr2477 repped this.
  2. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    How many All Conference players do you think each team will get, at this point in the season?

3. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Syracuse and VA Tech should be flipped. Syracuse is 2-4-1 and at 7 points.

4. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    FSU- 0 :(

5. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010

mpr2477 repped this.
  6. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    You’re being harsh on ur team. Y’all for sure have 4 all acc players (Deyna, Kuikka, Koivisto, maybe Miller)

7. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Poor Ekic. She was a highlight against UNC today, until her (most likely) season ending knee injury. Shame, cuz with her Lville is a good attacking team with really solid defense. But without her creativity and runs, I’m afraid Lville gets knocked down a notch.

Also sad the ref missed the goal the scored off the corner, that would have been the game winner

8. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Regular season done tonight. Here are the teams moving on to the ACC tournament (listed by their seeds followed by conference record). All of these teams should be considered locks for the NCAA tournament as well.

1. Duke (10-0-0)
    2. UNC (8-0-2)
    3. NC State (6-3-1)
    4. Virginia (5-2-3)
    5. Wake Forest (5-3-2)
    6. Notre Dame (5-3-2)
    7. Florida State (5-4-1)
    8. Clemson (3-4-3)

9. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    ACC RPI as of Oct. 22....

3. North Carolina
    4. Duke
    13. Florida State
    15. Notre Dame
    22. Virginia
    31. NC State
    33. Wake Forest
    36. Clemson
    49. Virginia Tech
    53. Boston College
    67. Louisville
    88. Syracuse
    156. Pittsburgh
    179. Miami

Odd to me how FSU and Notre Dame are so high in the RPI. Also strange how low Virginia and Wake Forest are considering they were probably the third and fourth best teams in the conference this year (when you take into account non-conference play).

10. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Boston College is the 8th seed, not Clemson.

11. Kurt Kline

Kurt Kline Member

Ajax
    United States
    Jun 26, 2012
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And flip State and Virginia. Cavs #3, State #4.

12. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    No. Cavs finished 4. Ncsu wom tonight, uva lost.

Kurt Kline repped this.
  13. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks for that correction. Saw BC game was tied 2-2 and thought final. They pulled out a 3-2 2OT winner over Pitt.

1. Duke (10-0-0)
    2. UNC (8-0-2)
    3. NC State (6-3-1)
    4. Virginia (5-2-3)
    5. Wake Forest (5-3-2)
    6. Notre Dame (5-3-2)
    7. Florida State (5-4-1)
    8. Boston College (4-5-1)

14. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
  15. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Whoops. A lot has happened in the last couple weeks. Anyway, congrats to Florida State, Wake Forest and Clemson on advancing tonight. Florida State lit up Mississippi like we haven't seen them do to anyone in a while. This team really could show up and outperform in a low pressure environment. Clemson comes from behind to win against Alabama. Wake takes GU out in PKs in a battle between two good defensive teams.

Would be great to have all 8 ACC teams advance to the second round. UNC, Duke, Virginia, Notre Dame and NC State all play tomorrow. The NC State vs. Arkansas game is the one to watch. Arkansas really came to life at the end of the season. NC State lit up Notre Dame in the ACC tournament and should be feeling confident as well.

16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just something to think about: Both Wake and Clemson had home field for their games. Based on past precedent, they should have been away, if their opponents bid for the games and had qualifying fields, since their opponents had higher ARPI rankings. Wake's opponent definitely bid, but I don't know about Clemson's. And, I don't know if their opponents had qualifying fields. If the opponents bid and had qualifying fields, and if the NCAA had followed past precedent, some of the statistical rating systems say the changes in game locations would have resulted in Wake and Clemson losing, which is possible considering the scores of the games (and that the opponents' ratings were close enough that home field advantage, more often than not, would be determinative).

Again, this just is something to think about. In the future, it could be turned around the other way. Is it a good idea, as between two unseeded opponents, for the poorer ranked ARPI team to have home field advantage, where both teams have bid for the game and both have qualifying fields?

HeadSpun repped this.
  17. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Is RPI the only thing the committee uses to seed teams in the field/see who should host? I mean obviously there are other considerations like travel, bidding,etc. that have nothing to do with soccer. Even Hofstra got sent away to Auburn this year and they have a stronger RPI.

18. mike hanes

mike hanes New Member

Sep 19, 2005
    my first ever big soccer post, so be gentle...
    Been reading the postings in this forum for years. Enjoy all of cpthomas incredible posting over the years. About the above comment about Wake being given home field despite being a lower seed than Georgetown (yes, I am a Wake fan), it wasn't fair to Georgetown. But from my view, why did Georgetown have a higher RPI than Wake. Wake finished 5th in the ACC, one (maybe 2) point from 3rd. They beat N Dame, FSU, and South Carolina (a 1 seed). How could Georgetown have had a higher RPI?

blissett and mpr2477 repped this.
  19. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    That's true. Wake has 3 top 15 RPI wins (the ones you mention). GU didn't have any and only had one Top 50 RPI win and that was against Butler in the Big East Tournament (who GU lost to in the regular season). That's a pretty glaring gap.

For Clemson, the only thing i can see is common opponents:
    Alabama lost to Auburn and beat Florida State. Clemson beat Auburn and tied Florida State. Not sure that's enough of a differentiator though.

20. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    @mpr2477 NCS 4 Arkansas 1. So as you said multiple times NCS can’t score.LOL.
    They are very good, better than a lot of “star teams”.

Kurt Kline and castate repped this.
  21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hofstra/Auburn is the other game where the Committee did this.

In answer to your question, I think I'm right in saying (though I'm going to re-review the 2007-2010 time period) that over the last 10 years, where there have been games between two unseeded teams played at one of their sites, and where the team with the better RPI submitted a qualifying bid and had a field that met NCAA standards, the team with the better RPI always got to host the game. So, yes, previously the RPI has been the only thing used for hosting purposes in games not involving seeded teams.

22. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    And then there was one. Good luck to Duke.

mpr2477 repped this.
  23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I wonder if Hofstra having a FieldTurf field factored in...

24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they didn't have their field re-certified by FIFA (it was due for re-certification), that would have disqualified their field.