Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not sure if the seat is hot at all or not, but my goodness are they a very poor team. One of the worst I have seen in years.

2. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    Don’t you think the AD, who hired her shortly after taking the position, will have a little more patience? This Fall is Hanley’s first full recruiting class, and they have had 3, arguably 4 of their 6 losses coming against very good teams. They have had a couple head scratching results, but inconsistency seems to be more of a problem than them getting worse year over year. I watched some of their games last year, and several this year, and I think they are better. They have admittedly missed some opportunities for results, but I think she does enough this year to keep her job, and they will turn things around next year and beyond. Time will tell I guess.

3. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think things get better. But I do think the AD at Towson keeps her for another year if her contract was a 3 year deal. I think the only way there is a change is if she decides she has had enough.

4. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 additions?

Valparaiso
    Evansville
    Indiana State

5. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    I was referring to the Indiana State coach, not Towson.

6. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don’t think so. The program is going backwards, assistants leaving and expressing lack of head coaching ability to lead a team, team is losing per usual. I think this seat is hot. Similar to Akron in a lot of ways.

7. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    I am a bit new to following the college coach merry go round, but when does an AD typically pull the trigger and go in a new direction? I would think allowing a coach to have a season or two with their own recruits would be the norm, but maybe not. With early commits being common place until recently, many of the schools honor the previous regimes offers and verbals, so it could be 2, 3, or even 4 years before a coach gets their kids into the program. Or does that not matter?

8. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    I can only go by what I see when watching and they seem to be improving from my untrained eye. That being said, I would have predicted that they would have 3 or 4 wins at this point of the season looking at their opponents, so maybe you are right. Either way, they have some winnable games coming up presenting a good opportunity to turn things around and start the league season with some W's.

9. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I thought you were writing about Towson. I don't know anything about Indiana State, other than they don't seem to be moving in the right direction based off past and current records.

Sledhead repped this.
  10. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Towson had a good non conference win last week over Richmond With 2 of her freshman scorers out with season ending injuries you would think the head coach would be more cautious. Her Sophomore leading scorer had a hat trick in the first half and she puts her back out on the field in the second half, now she is injured to

11. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Did you see the Northeastern 6 vs Towson 0 match last night? Wow! Towson seat is very, very Hot!

12. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I wouldn’t have been able to give this insight a while back but have become a little closer to this situation through fellow coaching colleagues- this seat isn’t hot at all. Not even warm apparently. She has been told that in 3-4 years they should be consistently competing for championships. So I would take Towson off the hot seat for the next two years.

13. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Seems like it’s shaping up to be a year where a lot of the warm/hot seats (or ones that figure to be, along the lines of the lists above in this thread) are going to win just enough games to potentially keep their jobs. I’m curious how many ADs/SWAs will pull the trigger on underachieving teams (have shown some improvement but still not reaching the conf. Tournament etc.)

A lot of new coaches (1st or 2nd year) continuing their downward trends as well but will certainly be given more time.

14. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    This thread is always the most entertaining to read. Its a great mix of disgruntled parents who are trying to stir up something to get their daughters coach fired for whatever reason, a couple speculations, then a few people who actually know how the system works and use reason.

A coach isnt on the hot seat because they have a bad year. or usually 2 at that. Most coaches are on 3-5 year contracts. Its important to figure out how long that coaches contract is. MOST Ad's won't fire a coach even if they aren't winning if they still have years left on their contract. WSOC isnt a popular enough sport to justify paying out a coach. The only year the coach is on the hot seat is in the final year of their contract. If the coach is entering the final year of their contract and they haven't been offered a contract extension yet then they are on the hot seat.

KayJay1 repped this.
  15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Entertainment - Yes. Some posters here know way more than they let on, while others know way less :)
    Towson took the cheap local option. KV is paid like a school teacher. 60K. If Towson cared in the first place, they would have put at least 80-90 out there and got an experience proven coach. Instead, they got the local available option that was fired from another area college. Makes no sense except- they don't care and don't commit budget for soccer while they do pay other coaches there pretty well. So, unless she leaves, and she could anytime, if you are connected to the Towson program, buckle up, the ride may be rough for a couple more seasons.
    Ironic that when she was at Loyola she would talk down the local state schools, and now she's at one of those schools and can't get anything going. Soccer Karma.

16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Looks like the smell at Incarnate Word is a nice one recently they have won their last 3 games straight. I would take that program off the hot seat for another year as they are showing signs of improvement.

KayJay1 repped this.
  17. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Will Towson be able to retain and recruit top players with the current coaching staff?

18. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    was Towson ever able to recruit top players to begin with?

19. Grisdom

Grisdom New Member

Everton FC
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    You may not like the coach, but to compare the pay to a school teacher. If Towson paid me 90, it would be a pay cut for me and I am a school teacher.

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Baltimore County teachers, where Towson is located, have a scale from 48 to 95K. You don't make 60K until year 10. Southern States I imagine are worse than MD, some better I'm sure. I was a school teacher too and you've made a good point, even an experienced HS coach would be taking a pay cut at Towson. The difference between 60K and 90K is pretty massive. 60K is not attractive to another Mid-Major HC or good P5 AC looking to start from scratch at Towson. I would imagine they are paying at the very low end in the CAA. You sometimes get what you pay for.
    And fwiw, I actually like the coach. But players do not like playing for her and her teams do not get better.

21. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
    Apparently Southern Utah fired their coach. Any insight what happened? I think he was pretty new there.

22. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
  24. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  25. MFF1910

MFF1910 Member

Sep 11, 2018
    What’s happening at UCONN? I recall the rumors were she was on a 2yr contract. I also remember all the hype with the hire and promises of national championships. Last year with 4 wins, stuck on 4 again this year. Pretty significant drop from recent seasons and nowhere close to a national championship level.