Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Filled
    Georgia Southern - Josh Moffet (interim in 2019)
    UNLV - Jenny Ruiz-Williams (Oregon State assistant)
    Yale - Sarah Martinez (Yale assistant)

Vacant
    Louisiana Monroe
    Iowa State
    Oklahoma
    Southern Utah
    Temple
    Washington
    Marquette
    Marshall
    LSU (interim)
    Western Michigan (interim)
    Robert Morris
    Evansville
    ETSU
    Grand Canyon
    Stephen F. Austin
    St. Mary's College
    Colgate
    Long Island University
    Loyola Marymount
    American
    Charleston Southern

2. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    ytrs said:
    @footydude we get it. You do not like female coaches. I guess their ability to be female mentors is irrelevant to you, but not lost on others. For every failed female coach there are 3 failed male coaches.

"True, but for every female HC, there are 5 to 6 times as many male HC’s, so..."

@ytrs, not at all, I love female coaches but nice try. What I don't love is discriminatory hiring of a coach who is NOT qualified to be a head coach yet based on gender, color, race, religion, ect... Almost all of these positions for job requirement state, required 3 to 5 years of experience doing the same position. So 3 to 5 years as a college head coach, or even college assistant. Just coaching club soccer or playing teaches nothing about recruiting, dealing with quarter of million in budget, booking team hotels, compliance and staff meetings weekly, radio interviews and monthly talk show interview and promotions and NCAA rules and networking. Not to take anything away from hard working club coaches, it's just a different field. You can't say I am a foot doctor, and because I'm qualified doctor who attended med school I can perform brain surgery now because it's a related field. Related field experience helps, but not exactly the same just showing a chasm to prove a point.

I had to put in my five years as an assistant coach before first D-1 head coaching job, thus the mention of it being like an apprenticeship, putting in the time, building experience, learning from the good and the bad, shitty pay at first and when earn your stripes you get to move up. Not gaming the system, working 2 years as many of these hires are doing, jumping past 80 other candidates with triple the experience because of gender alone, that is criminal. I get it ytrs, you believe all women get an exception to bypass the hiring listed required and preferred qualifications after two years of assistant coaching when you have 50 others lined up with 10 years of experience and success but won't be considered because of their gender. Is that not discrimination? Are there not laws protecting against that. One last example, San Fran State just 5 years ago was open after Jack retired, I spoke with the AD, over 250 applicants applied from all over the world. He said over 220 of those were male applicants 150 who met minimum and preferred requirements to be hired there. Of the 30 female ones, only 8 met the minimum/preferred requirements, but none had experience coaching in the NCAA as a head coach and minimal experience as assistant coaches. But they would "only consider female candidates" as it was pre-determined to be a female hire. And I quote, if we can find any female candidates that meet the preferred qualifications they will be front runners. I then asked were there many male candidates who met that same standard, he said hundreds. Everyone wants to live in San Fran and coach here, but they won't be considered. My over-blown point is that there's a pattern going on of hiring that does not look at ability anymore, but solely on gender as top standard. Lets replace hire only females with another Equal opportunity standard, religion, we will look at all applicants but only Jews will be hired if a qualified one applies, Or color, we will only hire Whites for our company. Thats flat out discrimination when hiring should be based upon resume, proven record of success, experience, qualifications.

I know Sarah at Yale, I'm happy she got hired. I've spent time working beside her at camps and the recruiting trail, she's a hard worker and in a tough position there are Yale where I wouldn't even consider applying under the circumstances, I'm happy they gave her her shot because she's invested time, going on five years developing as an assistant and times for Yale are bleak right now so some stability was warranted for the players there. Sorry for the lengthy response, but you can't say oh I don't like female coaches when some of my best friends are indeed female coaches, but ones who put in the years and work to earn their hires against other competitive applicants, rather then having 95 percent of applicant pools disqualified because of their gender, race, or religion. If its equality we seek, then it needs to be equal opportunity for all to get it based upon the hiring standards that are listed on the application. Good day.

6peternorth9 repped this.
  3. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    I don't normally comment on the hiring of coaches but who doesn't think that a school is making itself vulnerable if it only hires candidates (HC, assistants, trainers, etc.) on gender without the supporting qualifications and record of success?

What recruit, male or female, wants to play for a coach that has no history of success? Hire the best candidate.

Footyballs and eastside88 repped this.
  4. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    And, women would argue they are discriminated against in the hiring process for the men's game. It works both ways. Open your mind. Men have had it much easier than women as long as humans have existed on this planet, and you cannot argue that.

5. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    But, what is the best candidate? That is subjective. Is it a female mentor for their athletes? Is it someone invested in the university and community (an alum for example). Is it someone who wins but treats players like crap (those coaches exist). So it is not black and white based on record. Is it a great recruiter, lacking in x's and o's? Or is it a tactician who cannot recruit well?

Fitballer repped this.
  6. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Somebody please start a new thread titled “who gives a shite” Please stay on topic.

6peternorth9 and ThePonchat repped this.
  7. Respect the Game

PSG
    United States
    Apr 17, 2019
    USA
    Final words on this from me anyway: None of these points say male or female other than "female mentor. " And, bad behavior isn't gender specific nor is success at the job.

8. 2footed

2footed New Member

Dec 6, 2019
    DII Hot Seat?
    SFSU (What happened here?)
    CSUSM (Have you seen this team play? Players can't be happy playing like that)
    Holy Names (Open)
    Simon Fraser (Not sure anyone cares)

9. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Plenty of d2 jobs open nationwide right now. Some better than others.

10. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Word has it that Colgate conducted the first round of interviews this week, but no one saying much about who they met with. Someone has to be in the know. That’s one of the better jobs in the northeast. BC. BU. The Ivies. Colgate right in that mix.

11. iamdelgado

iamdelgado Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Colgate needs to bring in a coach that can out recruit the Patriot League. Navy looks to be the top dog. Joe M did a great job going back to Loyola in his 1st year back. Army returns almost everyone they should be in final again Holy Cross had a solid season for the 1st time in awhile. BU were down and not sure what the future looks like. Bucknell should be back next year. Lafayette looked good this year can they keep it up. Lehigh is a wild card up and down. Whoever gets AmerIcan better have a 5 year deal

12. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    I still think Amherst coach to Colgate is likely from what I am hearing.

13. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Could be a good choice. Alum. Has had success where she is. Only question is how she handles dealing with scholarships because that is a whole different animal.

Fitballer repped this.
  14. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jen Hughes from Amherst and Kelly Kuss from Bucknell were not interviewed by Colgate. Perhaps one side reached out to other initially but no discussion after that. Sorry PowerSoccer as it appears you are a big Hughes fan and can understand why.

Right now it is down to Georgetown assistant, Vanderbilt assistant, a former MAC coach, and a current MAAC coach. Possibly an Ivy coach too, not sure if a head or assistant. Gender not an issue, looks like they are doing their due diligence and want the best candidate.

Footyballs repped this.
  15. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Heard the same thing last night as well. Too bad. Thought both would have been natural fits as alums, but it isn’t easy to uproot after being in a place for a while. Did hear most of those same names plus another 1-2. Not sure who will be in the final 2-3 or if they know at this point. Things seem pretty tight lipped.

16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Lyndse from Georgetown would be a great addition to Colgate but my understanding is she isn’t happy with the expectations as they are unrealistic. She did also apply for Temple so I think she sees it as the time to take the jump.

Robert Morris- Greg Miller is on their shortlist so will he curious to see if he gets a crack at the college game again. I don’t know any other candidates but know this one for sure.

Other hot seat news- Akron coach has one more season and won’t be renewed unless there is significant improvement. Kentucky also has one more year on the contract so I’m assuming that’s why the job isn’t open yet. We can most likely assume those two are safe until after next season when the contracts are up.

17. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    What are the expectations at Colgate? Being a consistent contender in the Patriot is reasonable. If they think they should be headed to Final 4’s, then no.

18. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    wow greg miller to Robert Morris would be ironic if that actually happened. I can see it from Robert Morris stand point. Former Pitt head coach and Ohio State assistant. Seems like it would be a home run for Robert Morris

EXCEPT the fact that greg had a horrible reputation with the local clubs in Pittsburgh. basically blew most of them off and acted like Pittsburgh kids weren't good enough for Pitt when he was there. if you want to have any chance of success at Robert Morris you will have to be able to recruit the 2nd tier Pittsburgh kid and and I don't see Greg having much of a chance in Pittsburgh

19. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    It's not just recruiting. Miller also struggles tactically. He struggles to relate to players. He deflects his own inability on to his players when they cannot execute his poor tactics. Miller was exposed because he was in the ACC, however there are just as many coaching in Division I toady. He will fit in at Robert Morris.

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Filled
    Georgia Southern - Josh Moffet (interim in 2019)
    UNLV - Jenny Ruiz-Williams (Oregon State assistant)
    Yale - Sarah Martinez (Yale assistant)
    Southern Utah - Kai Edwards (Cal volunteer assistant)

Vacant
    Louisiana Monroe
    Iowa State
    Oklahoma
    Temple
    Washington
    Marquette
    Marshall
    LSU (interim)
    Western Michigan (interim)
    Robert Morris
    Evansville
    ETSU
    Grand Canyon
    Stephen F. Austin
    St. Mary's College
    Colgate
    Long Island University
    Loyola Marymount
    American
    Charleston Southern

21. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    there are schools missing from your list.

22. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Who's do we think is close to naming their new hire soon? Who's name are being mentioned for those job?

Have to think LSU, Iowa State, Temple, Oklahoma and Marquette are having or had on campus interviews.

23. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  24. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

Got to love how they add the quotes from other coaches in to justify hiring a guy who has had his ass kicked in college soccer. I don’t know if this is a good or bad hire but it is entertaining they needed those inputs from other programs to justify it being a good coach joining the program.