Academic Year 19/20 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Lord Kril, Aug 7, 2019.

1. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Colgate is a great job and is a lock for Jen Hughes. She’s had success at Amherst and was a star player at Colgate. That one is a formality. Everyone else playing for second place and a pay raise opportunity.

2. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Filled
    Georgia Southern - Josh Moffet (interim in 2019)
    UNLV - Jenny Ruiz-Williams (Oregon State assistant)
    Yale - Sarah Martinez (Yale assistant)

Vacant
    Louisiana Monroe
    Iowa State
    Oklahoma
    Southern Utah
    Temple
    Washington
    Marquette
    Marshall
    LSU (interim)
    Western Michigan (interim)
    Robert Morris
    Evansville
    ETSU
    Grand Canyon
    Stephen F. Austin
    St. Mary's College
    Colgate
    Long Island University
    Loyola Marymount
    American

3. ManU Fan

ManU Fan New Member

Man U
    Dec 4, 2019
    Geez I dont know...how do you ask for equal pay as men when you cannot beat FC Dallas U 15 DA team? Why do you expect the former women's coach, Ellis, to be a coach of a pro men's team when she cannot beat FC Dallas U 15 DA team?
    Some people just do

4. ManU Fan

ManU Fan New Member

Man U
    Dec 4, 2019
    The point being made is that no male coach would get hired with the same credentials..plain and simple...females are being given opportunities that just do not exist for males and not on merit but gender. Out of all applicants probably a 1/10 are females.

At my A course that I recently took there was one female out of 36 candidates. At the A course my friend is in enrolled there are 25 people and no females.

Females should have no complaints with coaching opportunities they are being given because that is what is happening. They are being given them without earning them

Footyballs and eastside88 repped this.
  5. FoodforThoughts

FoodforThoughts New Member

Jan 23, 2018
    So what makes a coach (male or female) ready to take over a program? I read this forum a lot but I dont really post much. Nobody is really happy with any hire. If an assistant from successful programs takes over, the wins belong to the HC not him/her, if the assistant was from an average program, he/she didnt do enough to help the program.

Fitballer, Planopitch and Wildcatter repped this.
  6. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    You are right. No one is ever happy with a hire. I think some of it has to do with the uncertain nature of the hiring process. There is no consistency in hiring practices. Meaning, what one school looks for, another may not value. But I’m answer to your question, I think an AC that has worked with and learned from an organized and strong HC, will have a greater chance of success. But that isn’t a guarantee either. Look at all the failed former AC’s that coached with Bill B at the Patriots. He’s the best, but they’ve struggled. Determining who can make it is tough. Sometimes the AC is carried by the HC. Sometimes it’s the other way around.

No an exact science for sure. Only way to find out is to give someone a chance.

7. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Wow - is that how you feel about your heart surgeon??

Clearly some newbies on BS! This stuff has been discussed a lot. The gender comments will get some fired up for sure.

How about this logic - hire someone who's done the job already and pretty well? Look at the conferences around you or below you and hire someone who has proven they can be a head coach. Good ADs look at it that way all the time. I think Colgate could be a great gig for a good D3 HC who has been successful and knows the school well. I'd rather hire a good head coach from a lower level conference or even Division, than an asst. coach in my current conference or a similar one. I think proven leadership experience is undervalued compared to "familiar with our school/conference/ reputation". It's like a pedigree argument.
    Coaches are even confused about this often. Is the best path to being a well paid P5 head coach, being a lower paid P5 assistant or lower D1 or D2/3 head coach? Often going the asst route is better but that's where I disagree a bit.

8. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I think the Yale hire makes a lot of sense. The new staff came in and raised that program quickly. The head coach is gone. The program could use stability, rather than a third staff in less than a year. The person they named head coach was on the staff that elevated the program, so they know what formula was used. The administration that made the hire had worked with her on a daily basis, so they know a thing or two more than the rest of us about her management skills. That would seem a safer higher at this tumultuous time than someone from the outside to me.

The UNLV hire also makes sense. You have an alum who will be invested in their program. She came from a very successful year at a Pac-12 school. She has years of club and college coaching experience.

And, just maybe some administrators put a premium on female role models for their athletes. Is that so bad? The administrators do the same with men's soccer programs.

Fitballer repped this.
  9. Jonlamb

Jonlamb New Member

Barca
    England
    Nov 5, 2019
    Is OU referring to Oklahoma or Oregon?

10. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    How is an AC supposed to get experience unless they get that chance? Nearly every HC started as an AC. That’s all I was saying. Some succeed. Others do not.

I don’t disagree that there are textbook definitions of discrimination that go on where under qualified people get jobs because of who they know or their gender. Same thing happens in every line of work, but it’s more pronounced in the WS world because of the scarcity of female coaches. The result is schools latch on to one when they can whether they are qualified or not. I don’t fault them for it. Makes it easier to convince others to follow that path.

11. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

UNLV hire makes no sense. She has two years experience as a college coach. Makes no sense if you want an experienced coach who will give their athletes a good soccer education. How is DI soccer the pinnacle of the women’s college game when someone like this is hired????????

12. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    She played there didn’t she? Colgate will do the same thing. Good to see loyalty.

ytrs repped this.
  13. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    She has coached at the club level, too. What makes a good college coach to UNLV may be different than your criteria. A loyal alum invested in the program long-term is probably better for them than someone looking to climb the ladder and jump to a better opportunity. She has also played professionally and with the Mexican National Team (FIFA World Cup).

"From our initial conversation, her passion for UNLV was evident. She personifies our core values and has the energy to build a championship program."

spykemanne repped this.
  14. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Iowa State's recent coach was a career club coach too, had two years of assistant coaching experience (same as UNLV's) and it worked out well for him. What could go wrong. :)

15. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    oh yes, because Iowa State's coach is the only example out there. Iowa State is also the least desirable Big12 job. Hard to win there.

16. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Cromwell had 2-3 years as an assistant before her first head coaching gig at 26 years old. What could go right?:)

ytrs and Fitballer repped this.
  17. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Hiring an alum has really helped Creighton too! Oh wait no it hasn’t.

18. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Worked out ok for North Carolina.

Planopitch repped this.
  19. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Iowa State is the least desirable place in the conference to go or live, so that is an excuse for losing consistently and negate my point that very little college coaching experience rarely leads to success... If that excuse held water, then Washington State which is the armpit of the conference for desirable location wouldn't be successful, yet hmmm, they are in the final 4 this weekend, and make the NCAA tourney nearly every year the past 8 years or so.

Cromwell is and was a badass even before hired 3 years as an assistant after 8 years in the pro's and national team, followed by Presidential hire by GW Bush to lead an athletic council, then back to coaching where she did struggle her first few years to get her footing at UMBC (compared to how well she did at her locations), until she is the legend she continues to be when she was a badass a a player too. Being an alumnus gives no credence to how well they will do as a coach at their school, else every school would search for alumni to hire their crony's. It'll be interesting to see how they do. Portland State did the same hiring a young 3rd year assistant who was supposed to lead them to success, welp that's going great. Same with UNR and Wolfpack assistant hire, yikes. I agree with speaker a few posts ago who said hiring a proven leader who has shown they can win is something they can use as a measuring stick for leadership. Kinda like a apprentice, put in years as an assistant, learn the tricks of the trade from a successful coach (example Oregon States new coach learned from a coach who knew how to win) and then apprentice go's and does it themself. I wish her luck. Just saying throwing these young ladies into positions of leadership for their first time after just a few years in the big leagues is why there is a high level of female head coaches dropping out of coaching after just 3 to 4 years. Need a bigger pool of them developing as assistants and learning so can take over and succeed at the head roles for longer than just one contract cycle. There are some great ones, but we need more of those.

20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Washington State has a beautiful campus, very good facilities in a small college town, in a very scenic state in the Pacific NW. Small college towns are highly desirable for many students who want to get away from the big city atmosphere. It is not difficult to win there. They have had success in a lot of sports.

21. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    @footydude we get it. You do not like female coaches. I guess their ability to be female mentors is irrelevant to you, but not lost on others. For every failed female coach there are 3 failed male coaches.

Fitballer repped this.
  22. PowerSoccer

PowerSoccer Member

Dec 3, 2019
    True, but for every female HC, there are 5 to 6 times as many male HC’s, so...

23. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    People want to trot out 1 example of a case where something works or doesn't work as definitive proof for their theory. If there was a magic formula for hiring, everyone would do it. If you say, "Don't hire alums ever, look at Creighton!" I say, "Hire alums every time, look at Anson!" The reality is both comments are just as asinine. Some coaches will succeed in certain environments and fail in others. An AD might nail the hire one time, and completely botch it the next. And every AD is going to have their own priority list when going through a hiring process, and that list might be different than yours. And if everyone's priority is to win a championship, then most hires will be failures.

ytrs and Fitballer repped this.
  24. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN