AC STL: Kit Mock-Ups

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by Sport Billy, Dec 8, 2009.

1. VandalPlus

VandalPlus New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I can dig two dark colored jerseys, but red would be a weird choice IMO.

2. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    If you think of it as the Cardinals' color, then yes, it does seem odd.

But, a few years ago, the Chicago Fire had a 3rd jersey that was light blue (as seen in this thread):

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205281

The inspiration was the flag of the city of Chicago.

So, if AC St. Louis had a jersey that was red in honor of the city of St. Louis flag, and incorporated other elements of the flag, like the Fire jersey does, then I could see it making sense.

FWIW, the Milan jersey that StlSpurs is referencing is white with a red cross, which is on the city flag. The cross is called the Ambrosiana Croce (Ambrose Cross, after the patron saint of the city). During facism, the government didn't like the name "Internazionale," as it wasn't patriotic, so they changed their name for 20 years to Ambrosiana SS Milano.

3. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind, this is a brand-new team trying to build an identity to market.

The clown-suits that many European teams wear as second and third jerseys work when everyone in the world knows your main colors, but let's let AC establish a brand first.

4. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In soccer the brand is the badge colors not the kit color. Hopefully D2 will be more creative than MLS in designing the kits.

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Seriously?

If you turn on the TV, you immediately know if Barca, Real Madrid, Juventus, Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Ajax, Celtic, West Ham, Man City, etc are playing simply by their jersey. You know this long before the badge is ever seen.

6. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging by the badge and logo, I think ACStL will keep their brand identity pretty tight (as they should). They obviously understand how to visually establish a strong brand and I'm sure we won't be seeing anything associated with this team that isn't green, yellow, and white.

I get a kick out of seeing Chelsea's yellow or Barca's yellow (or whatever) every once in a while, but it doesn't exactly make sense from a brand perspective.

7. dada3345

dada3345 Member

May 2, 2008
    in series of tubes!
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Alot of countries have similar color for club jerseys. Think about how many English clubs have blue and white as their home colors. That definitely has an effect on which away colors you use. While US clubs have a huge variety of home colors, usually a neutral color seems the safest bet.

8. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet. If that was the official jersey, I'd buy three replicas. One for me, one to give away as a gift, and one to eat and make its power my own.

9. MUhooligan10

MUhooligan10 New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  10. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but since the Athletics' kits are just a solid color with the logo in the corner, I don't know what to think.

11. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    I think they would have made an announcement if that was actually going to be the jersey.

12. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would buy fifty of these.

My only change would be to have the crest on the center of the cross so my green fleur de lis hoody wouldn't cover it up. :D