AC St. Louis news thread

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by SoccerPrime, Jun 5, 2010.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please continue to discuss the financial situation and its possible resolution here.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Re: AC St. Louis Scrambling to Save Team and other related news

No kidding.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

bit of a roller coaster and this story doesn't seem to be getting any better, yet. Don't give up hope guys until the last ball is kicked.

6. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah, most of us are ignoring this stuff until real news comes out. As you can see, I'm the first one to respond on this thread that is an actual fan of AC St.Louis.

7. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yup, and I'm posting simply because Steve did. :D

Although with that damn thread finally locked the dialogue here is gonna drop off quite a bit, lol.

In ACTUAL positive news, The Lions won 2-1, going on a 4 game win streak with--to my knowledge--a scoreline of 10-1...maybe 10-2...can't remember.

8. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006

Well I would have never thought we'd be in this mess. Athletica folds in mid-season and AC STL has no money to run the team...or to at least send a representative to the league meetings.

So we go from having a Women's Pro team last year, to adding a Men's Pro team this year....only to lose the Women's team after a handful of games this year.....to praying the Men's team can at least finish the season. Amazing.

The funny thing is that some people still think Jeff Cooper is innocent and is the "savior" of soccer in St. Louis.

9. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

An even funnier thing is how much you want to work for him.

10. Seph

Seph Member

Dec 2, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo., USA
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can't find an online link, but today's Post says Ralston's definitely leaving for MLS. It also says the team's "short term survival is by no means assured," but, "A resolution on the team's finances for the rest of the season is expected this week."

Ralston is quoted as saying, "I think the team will survive and I think this is a win-win for both sides since it frees up a little bit of money."

11. soccerwolf

soccerwolf New Member

Apr 7, 2008

Like any other company, we are going to have to cut the big salries - if any - and others will have to take a cut in pay. At 1-7-1, we need to build for the future. Investing in older players with experience has not worked. Time to have some fun, make games exciting, and build for next year - if there is one. Rome was not built in a day - neither will ACSTL. College players and older players from other countries have not cut the mustard. We need to build from our own youth players and actually develop players - so we can sell them and make money or we are doomed. Can not rely on ticket sales or jerseys to profit. I still believe offering stock to the community is the only way to raise the money - since corporations are not putting their name on our shirts - times are tough all over. This year is a wash - at least IMHO. Only we can save ACSTL, by puchasing shares.

12. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think anyone is absolving Cooper of his part in this, but he was a victim of the Vaids pulling out. His reputation is the one that is taking the hit. He is the one left holding the bag. And, he may end up being the one that saves the team if he can put together the funding that keeps them alive. Right now, Cooper is the only one fighting for this team. If you want to throw him under the bus and write off any chance the team has for survival, go ahead. If this whole thing goes tits up and Cooper escapes into the night with his millions, I will admit that I was wrong. But if he ends up personally backing the team or finding somebody with money to bail us out, will everyone else apologize for being wrong about him?

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

It's quite possible they were asked not to come so the rest of the league can discuss the situation more openly and comfortably.

14. Jozd

Jozd Member

Oct 18, 2009
    red rock vs blu rock

Im going w/ they may have done one of them conference calls since it would save money as opposed to buying a plane ticket but we will probably never know.

15. Jozd

Jozd Member

Oct 18, 2009
    red rock vs blu rock

Im going w/ a sorta Moses not savior because he tried to get ACSTL to the promised land (MLS) but the RED SEA washed him out :p

16. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Moses didn't get washed out in the Red Sea. He wandered around in the desert for 40 years. I guess I could live with being D2 for 40 years.

17. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jesus is a false idol and so is Cooper.

18. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think everyone at ACSTL should be paid with empty gum wrappers and Athletica merchandise. Problem solved. :D

19. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009

Poor Athletica

20. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, at least we got to see Ralson play for AC in STL once ya know.

21. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I Googled those quotes and found the story in a weird place on stltoday:
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...F1EA8942043DA61A8625773A000F27AB?OpenDocument

This seriously sucks. Even the one hopeful note in the piece is only "for the rest of the season." What do the soccer gods have against St. Louis?

22. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think we can expect to get another team in St. Louis.

Fan support has not been the problem. It's been owner issues. We just need a different owner to step up....perhaps they could play in one of the minor league ball parks? lol.

23. soccerwolf

soccerwolf New Member

Apr 7, 2008

If ACSTL folds that will be it for pro soccer...no investor would touch another team. They will say there is no market, which is incorrect. Teams make money on developing young talent and selling them. Until business owners get a clue about how to run a soccer team - we are doomed. 2nd, 3rd and 4th division teams in Europe would fold if they didn't develop young talent and sell players to the leagues above them..that is the model for minor league soccer....HELLO!..Once you own a team in the first division - then there is a whole different business model - and they even they buy - sell or trade talent. Get a clue - we can not try to start a team with first division mentality nor run it like a U14 club team - We need enough money in the bank to cover costs for the dark years - and make money feeding other pro teams - only way to do that is to have someone put up cashola - or sell shares to the fans. but in order to sell shares you need a plan to sell....I suggest we get one - or we be done.

24. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

don't forget about Glavin's boys out in St. Charles. They still are looking to one day move up to 2nd Div, and they are established.

25. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm giving them my support now...they're my number two, but there you go.