AC St. Louis Back From The Dead!

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by Battra, Jun 25, 2010.

1. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the biggest thing that people have to realize: Cooper didn't let the club fold. The WPS did. It wasn't a matter of choice whatsoever.

The WPS didn't have in place a bond to secure a club's financial backing.

The USSFD2 did.

The ONLY reason AC is even here right now is thanks to that and the continued involvement of the USSF.

So, I do understand your anger--believe me, I'm just as mad--but do understand it had absolutely nothing to do with anyone going, "Hmmm, which goes and which stays".

The WPS decided they would not financially support Athletica, thus they had no choice but to shut it down.

Now, hate Cooper for not bankrolling it himself or whatever. We'll be here all day debating whether or not he has the money he says he does or whatever as most have, but that isn't the point in this instance.

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    My point is that you cannot compare Athletica v. AC attendance to look at long term potential.

Assume that Athletica had the best attendance in WPS and AC has the worst in USSF2. Now, if the WPS collapses next year or the year after, having the the most successful team in a non-existent league is not as valuable as the least successful team in an operating league.

Likewise, if the long term predictions are that WPS will be worth X, and that USSF2 will be worth 10X, than AC is the better long term decision.

Now, I don't know that WPS will fold or that USSF2 will be worth so much more than WPS. My only point is that the overall business decision is based on one hell of a lot more than a simple comparison of the Attendance numbers of Athletica and AC.

3. stlkicks

stlkicks New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Does anyone know what the status is of AC St. Louis for next season? Is it still up in the air as to whether there will be a next year?

Are there new potential investors arising? Are there even any exciting rumors floating around about the team?

thanks. A curious fan...obviously disappointed in the way year one has went, and it seems that some major changes will need to be made if this team is to be successful on/off the field.

4. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing official is that nothing's official.

If you want an opinion--as it stands right now--AC will not be here next year.

I, like so many of us here, hope that is proven wrong.

5. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it also depends on who you talk to. Kyle is as knowledgeable as anyone on the subject, but I disagree with him. (we have different people we know and trust that disagree)

I'm reasonably sure that we're in good shape for next season.

We do have some new investors and there is reason to believe that something will be done to extricate the Vaids from the club and things will be right as rain in the future.

6. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Chickenhead.

I've been down the road with teams who were folding at the end of the year...and we're not seeing the same turn of events.

We're seeing something very different.

7. AC Affton

AC Affton Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Please explain what's different. I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious to know what positive signs you see that some of us don't.

8. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picking up Schuler on loan from RSL, while it's only for this season, doesn't seem like the behavior of a team that's just playing out the string until they can shut the doors.

It might not mean anything, but if it does, it means something positive.

9. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That made me raise an eyebrow and I hope it's a sign of more positive things, but I'm still holding for a bit of actual, official news of security.

Signing 1 dude to a few games isn't working.

Apparently in Montreal the entire back line forgot how to play defense.

10. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally, yeah. I'm just trying to read the tea leaves. "Reply hazy - try again later..."

11. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just seen the team do a few things that I don't think they'd do if they weren't planning on coming back. Doesn't mean anything really, just that they are planning for the future. If they knew it was over they would have given up and you'd see more rats jumping ship. The fact that they won't even let me make a tshirt with their logo indicates that they still value the property.

12. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't unload all of their good players. (those that left chose to.)

They've not stopped marketing the team, in fact they've ramped it up.

They're continuing to get new players to fill in the gaps.

Stuff like that...The Otters just folded up and we stopped hearing anything from them.

13. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Now just have to hope that Jeff Cooper didnt burn to many bridges.
    The NASL isnt happy with the whole debacle with the Vaids, USL is most likely wouldnt take him with the whole TOA, and the MLS is doesnt want anything to do with Cooper. At least if AC St. Louis faulters there is still St. Louis Lions who i believe was promised a spot in USL or usl-2.

14. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an official word on the matter, the Lions are still pushing for their USL-1 spot regardless of AC.

Possibly USL-2, but I had never been told that specifically.

If that happens, man, I ponder the allegiance issue...then again, I know who's been loyal to me as a fan first and always. I just hope if AC makes it and the Lions push up they work on non-conflicting schedules.

15. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    That would be an Awsome NASL-USL rivalry

16. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not.

St. Louis doesn't need divided fans.

17. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still trying to find the link that mentions where after this season NASL will become Div 2 soccer in the US and USL will be Div 3 & PDL only.
    So if this does indeed happen & Lions move to USL, then we could have Div 2 & 3 teams and not really have to compete against each other. Except for hopefully the Open Cup!

18. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    If there is no promotion or relegation, what exactly does it mean to be div 2 or div 3?

19. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was under the impression that this was still an ongoing discussion. USL and NASL both still want to be Divsion 2 and that this season they were forced into this compromise. I don't think its settled that NASL will be Div.2. I could of course be completely wrong.

20. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're not wrong at all. The article I read talked about USL wanting to regionalize their divisions to cut down on travel costs and other reasons. Then there was mention that to maintain even further stability they may even completely let NASL have Div 2 and they would rule the lower leagues. Not a done deal by any means, just speculation/rumors/talk whatever.

21. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    money and a minor difference in quality of play. maybe some technical/league rules or requirements, but that's about it. Here's a thread which discusses a little about that and has links to the IMS 3 part article on Div 2 soccer if you haven't already seen it:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490345

22. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you're saying, but the rivalry thing has worked pretty well for the Grizzlies and Rascals. And we all know what a hard-on the Europoser fan has for "Derbies". I just hope that if the Lions go pro and AC sticks around, they're either in the same league or play regular friendlies.

23. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point, but consider that your average person here thinks baseball's the greatest sport in the world.

24. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If both clubs pull at least 5K a game I'd be all for it, but we can't even do that now with 1.

25. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see what happens now that they've got a big homestand coming.

On top of that, they're even trying now.