AC Milan official transfer, rumor, and speculation thread 9

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by jpick, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Pirlo class?

2. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Pirlo FK suck these days

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    True enough. I'm just saying. Pirlos FKs are legendary. D'Agostino isn't at that level.

4. berloha

berloha Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Club:
    TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
    Good post !

If he can control his temper (please !) he will be among the 3 best Bundesliga players next season.

Ibisevic ? Hope he will score so great before his long injury.

Vedo and Dzeko, if top form, will cause some problems for every defender during WC 2010. Bosnian diamonds. :cool::)

5. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's going a little overboard. During his peak he was a really good free kick taker. But "legendary" he was not. I reserve that word for players like Juninho, Riquelme, Ronaldinho, Beckham, etc. from this era. Pirlo was a level below those players.

6. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Pirlos FKs was better then Ronaldinho. He doesn't even belong in the discussion.

7. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Pirlo's free kicks better then Ronaldinho? Seriously?
    Maybe when it comes to set pieces, but certainly not straight to goal.
    Ronaldinho has the edge.

8. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pirlo isn't close to Ronaldinho. I wish someone would do a count of how many goals Pirlo and Ronaldinho have scored from freekicks over the past 5-7 years. I'd imagine Ronaldinho has scored twice as many as Pirlo. Hell, I bet during his career Ronaldinho has more goals from freekicks than Pirlo has total goals.

9. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    at 27 and being a dlpm, i wouldn't say more than 15M euro tops, but then again with how the market has been stretched this summer, maybe that is a little too low.

his left foot is magical, and he does have very good free kick deliveries and crosses when he gets into good positions. he is not as two-footed with his passing as pirlo, nor does he have quite the vision and array of tools in the final third that an in form pirlo has, but he can still deliver nice through balls, as he used to be a forward playmaker. he has a decent build and this season displayed some decent work ethic, and a willingness to try to get in the passing lanes. he has had a couple of very good seasons in a row and really this season he was IMHO one of the best players in serie a period this season and arguably the best midfielder period (not saying he is most talented or better than de rossi or cambiasso, but on the basis of play this season i would make that argument)...but that was for udinese, playing for a big club is always a different story as the pressure can wilt many a good mid-table player.

my gut feeling is he would be gago redux, a good player against 80% of opponents who in the biggest matches looks out of kilter, but that would just be my guess.

as for pirlo, yeah his fks used to be really good, now only his indirect deliveries are worth a damn, and even then his fk ability was a little overrated, but funnily enough his overall technical skills were underrated imho. he is such a tricky dribbler, especially given he has no pace nor build.

but yeah, "legendary" should go to juninho, rivelino, beckham in his pomp, et al. i wouldn't even give ronaldinho or riquelme legendary free kick status to be honest.

10. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you sure? i read somewhere that this decade pirlo was still top 5 in fk goals when counting club and country with juninho being a clear #1 as of the end of 08. i think pirlo has about 30 some odd fk goals this decade all together fwiw, about 5 or 6 for italy iirc, and the rest for club though this could be off. of course with no fk goals for club or country this season, he may have slipped a little down that ranking after this last season

pirlo has 49 goals in serie a, cl, and other top competitions (not counting serie b goals or youth goals of course) and 8 goals for country, so dinho would need 57 career free kick goals, maybe, i just don't know though. the numbers are hard to find.

I'm trying to think actually

i know off the top of my head, pirlo had

0 in 08-09
    3 in 07-08
    3 in 06-07
    4 (or was it 5?) in 05-06
    then it starts to get shady, i remember he scored the nice one against in 04 and some others that stand out, but it really goes blank, but i seem to remember him scoring at least 3-4 in every year before this one at milan and a free kick or two on his loan spells the early part of the decade.

dinho had

1 in 08-09
    3 in 07-08 iirc
    4 in 06-07

ahh, i really can't remember, i watched almost every barca and milan match the last few years but it all gets hazy from there.

edit:
    actually juninho is the leader this decade...and he has scored in all competitions for lyon 44 direct free kicks for club in 344 appearances this decade. so i highly doubt dinho has scored even 40 this decade for club, maybe not even 35. will look deeper, it is actually quite hard to find free kick stats :eek:

11. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Thanks and +rep for the response.

12. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    milan also bought young midfielder federico dal compare from treviso. don't know much about him, but that is zigoni, berretta, barbini, and dal compare as youth having been bought this transfer window...

hmm, hopefully the primavera will be pretty good again soon.

13. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Supposedly a deal will be sealed for Luis Fabiano by Tues. In the area of 20 mil roughly.

14. Luca03

Luca03 Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Braida is also in Brazil working to sign Hernanes.

Please Braida.

15. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    won't believe until the physical is passed...;)

16. hectorcrib

hectorcrib Member

Mar 27, 2007
    In a 6.0
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  17. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Means Borriello will likely be sold...

19. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hey YOUNGSTARS anyway D'Agostino is really really good he is basically Pirlo + Gattuso, he is that deep lying playmaker that is quite good and can be a pretty hella good combo with Lass. But Goal is reporting that you guys are no longer interested

20. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    udinese's management is pricing everyone out of range. he clearly wants to go to a bigger club, and for his profile and age/position they have been offered pretty good deals. probably will regret not letting him go if he gets unhappy and doesn't perform to his best next season. not to say he will be unprofessional, he won't be, doesn't strike me as that kind of player, but usually unhappy players don't play at their best.

21. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would again leave us with only three strikers. I really don't see Borriello sold this summer. He is coming off an injury, which lowers his market value, and we will need at least 4 strikers on our roster next year. With Pippo a part time player & Pato used as a wide attacker, we need at least two(Borriello & Fabiano?) center forwards on our roster.

22. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy