Alert: Absolutely no spoilers in thread titles

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jun 12, 2009.

1. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was just trying to be considerate and give us all an example from which to learn. ;)

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Oops, my bad.

I just figure that in the 73,000 posts on BS today about the Confederations Cup somebody would have already read the result.

In my defense, I was answering a post that brought the subject up first.

Just pretend they haven't played yet.

3. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they should put the (R) tag on the "USA Men: News & Analysis" link, or, better yet, at the top of the browser so it just says "BigSoccer (R)."

Situations in which I have sympathy for someone being spoiled: Idiot co-worker mentions the score while you're still at work; Gmail ad says "Get your Houston Dynamo - MLS Cup 2007 Champions tee shirts now!"; newspaper falls from the sky, hits you in head, shows result

Situations where I have no sympathy: When a total moron goes to any website with soccer in the title: BigSoccer, ESPN Soccernet, Fox Soccer, or turns on ESPNEWS, etc., and somehow expects not to see the score of a USA national team match that has already taken place.

Avoiding results takes commitment. If you are going to "chance it" by visiting USA Men: N&A before you watch the game on your DVR, you deserve whatever you get.

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean we cannot have a Spain-USA pre-game thread?

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    We like to wait a day, but I'll start a generic one and we'll rename it later.

6. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    i dont get it - why would you go onto a big soccer forum if you dont want to be spoiled?

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Because you want to be spanked? Good question ...

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I don't know, but spoil it on Wednesday and we won't even bother with an infraction, it'll be a combination of a Turkey Baster, no access to antibiotics for 6 months, and Paris Hilton - at your front door.

9. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Better get to work ;)

10. Sparky98

Sparky98 Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Red card those who started threads with results!

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serioulsy, anyone bumbling onto this thread without knowing the score is going full retard. Folks, don't go full retard.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Dunce cap to people who check here expecting to not get news on a soccer game....

13. cisco39

cisco39 Member

May 27, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Spain 0-2 USA: You cannot be serious!

How about an "absolutely no spoilers in blog titles plastered to the front page of the website"?

14. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    You're crazy. There's mulitple forums where threads about a big game like this might be started. Any of the "World of Soccer" forums might pop up a thread on a big upset win like this, not to mention the obvious European ones and confederation forums.

I'm not against a "no spoilers" rule in general, just as a piece of board ettiquette (like not stepping on someone's putting line on the green), but nobody should throw any hissies if they go to a soccer website and happen to see a result of a game that's already been played.

15. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Now I find this thread fascinating coming from a mod here. Did you miss a meeting or something? Last year I complained about spoilers and basically just got posts and a surprisingly hostile pm from an admin type and a regular blog author basically telling me to shut up. Here are two excerpts from the pm:

"Look, nothing personal, but your complaint is ridiculous...So stop wasting my time and yours."

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You'll need to provide more details about your complaint if you want us to judge whether it was ridiculous or not.

17. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    I complained about a score in a blog headline, which spoiled a match that I was looking forward to. I've been hanging around BS pretty much since its inception, and I've always understood that spoilers were frowned upon, and had always been able to pop on and check out a few things that interest me without spoilers.

It was a surprise to me to see such a prominent spoiler, so I complained. The bigger surprise, however, was how immediately dismissive the people I corresponded with were. I had sort of expected something more grown up (though I guess in retrospect that was silly), like, 'sorry your game was spoiled, but blah blah [insert how policies have changed/evolved]'.

Not a huge deal in the broad scheme of things (as I pointed out at the time), and I'm not really looking to debate it again. I guess this current thread just struck me as a bit ironic given that context, hence my comment.

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think I responded in that thread - and the answer was -- the front page hasn't been spoiler proof for many years. That's why we have "MyBigSoccer" which you can bookmark and have more control over what results you see.

19. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Right, and I rightly accept that (though I guess I must have just randomly missed all those front page spoilers over the years). I guess my point was that why was there a need to be so rude in the responses?

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I can't speak for whoever was rude - but this issue is kind of like Fire Bradley and Rossi is the devil - people seem to have strong opinions on both sides.

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Mods, can we spoil Gold Cup results? It's only the Gold Cup.

22. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    given todays thread titles ... apparently so (I don't care either way)

23. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    And in the category of "Stupidest use of [R] in a thread title", I bring you "Congratulations Mexico [R]".

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I was kind of hoping those were shelved.....

But since they just popped up again,

Nah! :D

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    That wasn't a thread title, it was a public service announcement to save more pain.