Alert: Absolutely no spoilers in thread titles

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jun 12, 2009.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The ConFed Cup will be playing right in the middle of the work day for most of us, and I'm begging you guys - please don't use any spoilers in thread titles, and if you want to talk about a match, please use headers as innocuous as possible, Thanks!

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [result]First page![/result]

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    while this is a noble mission of having "Absolutely no spoilers in thread titles" and I support that idea, I do find it a bit strange to think that one could use the internet (and visit a soccer site) and expect/hope to have the ability to not be exposed to live soccer results or spoilers.

if i'm going to watch a game on a DVR later in the evening (and if I really don't want to know a mid-day result), I'm not going to be visiting BS (or any news and information sites) until after viewing the game.

having said that, "Absolutely no spoilers in thread titles" please. Mods have to do their duty, and I can see why there shouldn't be spoilers in titles.

4. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I will be recording all USMNT games on my DVR and just plan to stay away from all soccer/sports sites during the day until I get home. I just can't take the risk.

But it would be great if this worked...of course, I'm not sure why I would go to a USMNT News & Analysis forum during/after a USMNT game that I haven't seen yet.

5. MountainHawk

MountainHawk New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Salem, MA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with this entirely, if you come to bigsoccer.com after a Confed Cup game but before you know the results, you deserve what is coming to you.

6. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way this is going to happen, but good luck. I saw a guy get mad at another poster on a political website because he had mentioned that Barca had beat Man U in the UEFA Championship. It was kinda funny. My advice is to talk to your bosses and see if you can take an "extended lunch" for some doctors appointments. Nothing too serious, just need a checkup. If you have to come in an hour earlier or leave an hour later just so you can get both halves in.

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I agree. Just stay away from bigsoccer until you have watched the game(s) you want to watch.....getting on here is akin to switching on FSC then getting pissed 'cause they reveal a score of a game that ended hours ago.

8. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Agreed. I had my DVR record the Honduras match because I was out of town. When I got back, I resisted temptation to get on Bigsoccer, started watching it at 2:30 AM, and then logged on to bigsoccer to for several hours to enjoy the latest fire Bob Bradley angst.

9. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My expectation is that I ought to be able to come to BigSoccer and, as long as I don't open the U.S. forum, I should be safe.

10. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Word. Helps to be self-employed ;)

11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Perhaps we should 'pretest' some thread titles here to see if they're sufficiently neutral:

Are we that good or is Italy that bad?
    Is Italy that good or are we that bad?

13. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Agreed.

14. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel your pain here-- just got scheduled into 3:00 pm and 4:00 pm conference calls. So, I'm joining in the watch at home tonight crowd. That said, the ONLY way to be sure is to stay away from here. The easiest (or "least cost") solution to this problem is to maintain radio silence until we've watched the game. No good trying to control the emotions of everyone else in real time- that's just unfair to them.

As of 2:30, I'm outta here.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I agree with this. I'm just fulfilling a duty and asking others to follow the guidelines.

This isn't Vietnam, there are rules!

16. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After carefully avoiding soccer websites that might have the Barca-MU score, I opened up cnn.com and found a big BARCELONA WINS EUROPEAN CUP!

OOOOPS! Spoiler! ;)

17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    There are lots of reasons for this rule - one of which is netiquette like the above - but there are others, such as have y'all ever visited a forum that doesn't have a spoiler policy? New threads are posts - and many of the thread/posts are subject only celebration or venting.

18. LBS8844

LBS8844 Member

Apr 13, 2008
    In this particular case (red, ref, colors on sleeve), despite the gamut of well-intended attempted neutrality, I submit that antispoilermentarianism was synonymous with folly.

19. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that, but why subject yourself to the possibility of the game being spoiled? I wouldn't even come here if I was going to watch a game later.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    There are a number of reasons such as:

a) you are a moderator. :)
    ii) you aren't a hard core US fan but still want to watch the game unspoiled.
    III) you don't have access to video and want to read the PBP thread rather than learn the result first.
    6) you need to figure out where the game is showing and need to ask other US fans.

Let's be honest, though - as you say, if you absolutely don't want to know the score, you should stay away because our policy is no guarantee that you will be safe. Even staying away though your annoying friends might text you a few minutes before you are about to watch. :mad:

Ultimately, this is just polite netiquette you find on many message boards and while especially obtuse repeat offenders may find their ability to start threads restricted temporarily, this isn't something for which we throw the book at a person.

21. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I understand and even like the policy of not giving the scores away for these games, doesn't it defeat the purpose to have these restrictions in the forums, and yet the main BS Home page is littered with stories whose titles give the scores? ;)

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It's a good point - which is why we have "myBigSoccer" to give you another layer of control over what results you see.

23. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck... No official spoilers but its not hard not to read between the lines.....

Official Bob Bradley must go Thread
    "Fire Bob" Fan Organization Thread
    Official Keep or Fire Bob Poll (good thru Egypt game only)
    US Must Develop Better Players
    Has Bradley Lost The Dressing Room?
    USA Player's Heart[R]
    Rossi = Smart

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    [result]Rossi semi-smart

He cost Italy their game today by poor marking on a corner.[/result]

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    See Clive - that's what's known as a spoiler - no one came to this thread expecting the Italy Egypt result.