Absolutely Disgraceful Gulati, Arena, Bradley Haven't Resigned

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Greg Heaney, Oct 12, 2017.

1. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zero Dark Thirty rep!

3. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I hope we have November friendlies to test whether the powers-that-be permit the likes of Bradley, Altidore et al. back on the field.

We may very soon see whether the fed has the will to hold Lalas's complacent millionaires accountable.

4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Are there petitions out there that people can sign to get rid of these 2 incompetent morons?

5. Buckeye Bob

Buckeye Bob Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Friday morning...Arena is still officially the coach...what are we waiting for?

6. Pete Bond

Pete Bond Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Arena? Is that where we start?

Is this is the same Sunil Gulati, who as recently as just a couple years ago, had the Director of Coaching Education for US Soccer, lead by a guy whose background was:

Coached one of the absolute best, most successful, men's college soccer programs in the country, certainly on the west coast, and by the time he finished with them the program was abolished? Disbanded?

Moved on to be a State DOC where his most noticeable accomplishment was to make a secret deal with a local club to take it over, while still acting as the State DOC? Then take the state cup and magically have the brackets unjustifibly favor the teams (some of which were falling apart, and were going to be picked clean) for his new club (Nobody was aware of his sweetheart deal yet)? All local clubs, and all soccer people in the state, knew he "allegedly" did this; it was common knowledge. This "educator" then implanted his cousin as an administrator into a youth league of 4000 kids to sabotage it, and then build a youth league (from scratch) for his new club based primarily from the fallout -- from the devastation she caused. All this happened before anyone knew he had made his new deal with the club? Within two years, the club turned to crap, so he moved on to another club, in another state. Still a hero to the lawyers who control the system in the state.

Then... he pops up as the Director of Coaching Education for US Soccer

I wonder why we are where we are at... hmm...

Arena leaving isn't going to solve any problems. Sure, he has to go, but...

When you have lawyers controlling education really bad things happen.

US Soccer is primarily an educational enterprise. You may not see that, but if you stick with the game, you will in a few decades.

How are players developed? How are elite players developed? There are only a couple posts on Big Soccer that suggests to me that anyone has any idea what is necessary in the 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 year old soccer player.

Lawyers institute english model. They then bring in an invasion of low level english coaches, many of whom become directors. The standard of mediocrity is established (obviously, the only thing they have really worked hard at) and they seize and maintain control. It began in the late 90's/early 2000"s.

It doesn't look like it will ever end.

Most of you really don't know, what it is you don't know.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    This should make BS explode:

8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    if we wonder why theres no accountability anywhere, there you go

SteelyTom repped this.
  9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    "I take full responsibility for not qualifying, as I gave Klinsy an extension BEFORE WC14, and hired old, tired, safe Arena...Now then...I don't plan on resigning, let's have some November friendlies guys!!!"

What a pathetic little man he is.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is anyone really surprised? Of course Arena resigned and of course Gulati won't. Coaches exist to be fired so resigning at the end of a failed world cup cycle is expected. Bureaucracies exist to exist and if you are a successful bureaucrat it means that gaining and holding on to power is what you do.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Then let's make him resign.

Where are the voices of the US soccer supporters? Where are the American Outlaws and Sam's Army?

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  13. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical word vomit from Sunil. I take responsibility but I accept absolutely no consequence for myself. OK then. Get lost.

He's just going to wait this out. Sweep it under the rug, wait for it to blow over. It's on the US soccer media to not let that happen. And it's on us, too.

People in positions of power don't give up power willingly. It must be taken from them. Take it.

14. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

It doesn't matter if he wants to stay or not.

The board can put together their own set of candidates and vote this guy out in January.

However, the voices of the US soccer supporters must be loud and clear. Let the media and the sponsors know that we are not happy.

Can we organize a USMNT jersey burning event and invite CNN and FoxNews to cover the event? Just a thought.

15. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    He hasn't even done that. He said we missed the world cup by 2 inches. That is how insanely clueless he is.

SteelyTom and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well technically he's right, but that's not the complete story.

17. NineMiles17

NineMiles17 New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like the main reason Gulati won't resign is because the 2026 World Cup bid has to be turned in to FIFA in March of 2018.

18. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    Whew! We dodged a bullet. I thought we might lose Sunil Gulati, architect of our successful senior team and youth/Olympic team successes the past several years.

Sunil humbly took responsibility for the narrow loss. What else do you expect him to do, just resign? He made clear it is not possibly - hell it's probably illegal - for him to resign. Not when we have had all this success and momentum.

I pledge to work with sunil to round up support for his reelection. There must be no more jobs lost simply because we missed the World Cup. You guys are making too big a deal out of it.

Keep it up Sunil! The true fan base LOVES you and can't wait for another long tenure under your inspired leadership.

19. Goldtone

Goldtone Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    California
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Th e crappy part is we saw this coming long ago. A few of us have been calling for Gulati to be out since last cycle. I just remember seeing him all smug at a hall of fame ceremony a few years and thinking to myself, "this man has no business in US Soccer, he needs to go asap."

20. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    Disagree entirely. You have ended up with a false equivalence. Wearing a rainbow armband in sympathy with Orlando victims isn't going to offend anyone with reasonable sensitivities. Taking sides on the highly divisive abortion issue will. (We have no idea what Cameron thinks so I've left him out.)

Celebrities are as entitled to their opinion as much as we are to ours. But their opinions are only news because of their celebrity. Once it becomes notoriety they lose their soapbox, Which is probably all the OP intended to say.

Anyway, just generally PO'ed so I've probably repeated myself....

manfromgallifrey91 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston, MA USA
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gulati is indicating that Arena's replacement will be named soon. So much for an open, transparent and thoughtful process which might involve candidates who become available post- World Cup.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main reason he won't resign is he's the ringleader of the good ol boys network who have chosen profit for themselves and a few over the good of the game at large for the country.

It's the SUM/MLS/USSF partnership, the people sitting on those boards with much overlap. The few but powerful have rigged this system to their benefit and will protect it at all costs. Change comes out of their pockets.

Sunil didn't even have the balls to speak in front of cameras. Only hand picked media members were able to ask questions. It's all a farce.

Pete Bond repped this.
  23. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I'm really, REALLY hoping that was just referring to an interim coach for the friendlies next month.

24. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    It's not just (or fo rme at all) the rainbow armband.

Want to make the rest of the team take a kumbaya group picture with your arch rivals before kickoff? Cool, go right ahead.....but then you better not fxcking lose to them for the first time in a home WCQ since 197********ing2.

Jersey1 repped this.
  25. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Yup. And honestly, I don't even know how you disentangle that.

It almost has to be defeated from without rather than within. Could a nation of FC Cincinnati's rise against that system? The NASL story suggests no, and suggests that your best soliders will always be bought by the enemy.