Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    #1 Dan Loney, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

Abolish the Presidency of the United States Soccer Federation

By Dan Loney on Dec 29, 2017 at 3:20 PM
    I have spent the past few weeks carefully looking at the platforms and personalities of the men and women running for the position of President of the United States Soccer Federation. My conclusion is, I endorse the elimination of the position of the President of the United States Soccer Federation. If this is the quality of people we get running for the job, there must be something wrong with the job.

I think the problem is that no one is really certain what the job is supposed to be. There’s a universal assumption that, just as FIFA rules world soccer, the USSF can and should exert a similar influence in the United States. Even the ones who talk of implementing progressive changes take for granted that they will have the power to do so, and should have the power to do so. It’s like seeing eight versions of Isildur vowing to use the One Ring for good.

No, I will never apologize. My entire life has been leading up to that metaphor.

This is also the first contested election in, for want of a better term, the Fan Era. The stakes for the 1990 Fricker v. Rothenberg battle were arguably higher, but just because there were millions of dollars at stake did not mean there were millions of fans paying attention. Fans don’t have a voice in this process – and don’t get me wrong, we should not. We are customers. We decided we have an interest in this, but that was our choice. And as Grant Wahl showed us this week, giving monkeys the vote is not always popular with the organ grinder community. But we’ll get to that.

Steve Gans is the only person still in the race who had the donuts to challenge Sunil Gulati before October 10. Odds are if you’re reading this, it’s not gonna take you too long to figure out what changed on October 10. Should one draw conclusions about the viability of his candidacy based on the fact that seven other people piled on as soon as it was safe? Yes. You should. Every candidate’s platform is basically a series of promises to form committees and councils, but this one from Gans stood out:

I will immediately halt and institute a moratorium on the current U.S. Soccer plan to centralize the State Referee Administrator responsibilities. An open, transparent and inclusive summit will then be held – with participation by all state associations – to jointly discuss any issues in the SRA program, and to consider any possible related improvements.

No other candidate is bringing this subject up, so it’s fair to assume it’s meaningful to Gans. He wants to call a Council of Nicaea to address the issue – whatever the issue actually is. Gans may have suggestions for improvements, but the main problem seems to be centralization.

Well, okay, that’s one way to tell candidates apart – it makes sense that some would be for more USSF authority, and some for less. Gans clearly feels the USSF should have less – wait, what’s this?

I will create and participate in a task force of youth state associations and national affiliates to address and solve the counterproductive competition amongst sanctioning organizations which occurs beneath the topline of U.S. Soccer youth registration numbers. Such zero-sum competition is destructive to youth soccer and the youth development system, and these issues will be addressed and solved for the good of the game.

It’s going to take an awfully strong central authority to put a stop to competition between youth soccer organizations.

You will also have noticed that councils and committees and task forces and such play a significant role in Gans’ platform. But that’s okay, because councils and committees and task forces make up the most significant part of nearly every candidate’s platform.

I believe you form a committee to do one of two things. Either you want nothing done at all but you want to fool people into thinking you’re trying, or you want something unpopular done and want to make sure everybody else gets to take the blame. Chief executive officers, chairpeople of boards of directors – these aren’t the sort of folks who are used to hearing a lot of backtalk in their daily lives. They’re certainly not going to go out of their way to get a bunch of people in a room to churn out something they oppose.

People like to promise committees, because it sounds like other people have a voice in the process, even when the voices are there to be co-opted or compromised.

If you go to michaelwinograd.net, you will learn about a renowned klezmer and world music clarinetist from Brooklyn. If, on the other hand, you go winogradussf.com, a domain name likely to be available some time in March 2018, you will read this promise from candidate Michael Winograd, speaking in the third person:

Winograd will ensure that critical US Soccer decisions reflect input from all parts of the US Soccer landscape they affect. The selection of national team managers and technical directors; decisions on structures, policies and guidelines in youth soccer; negotiation of sponsorships and other key business transactions; and other fundamental decisions affecting the direction and success of US Soccer are too critical to be made without a deliberate, inclusive, and transparent process. Winograd will form advisory committees that include current and/or former players, coaches, managers, administrators and executives from all levels. And qualifications will be based on merit – people with pertinent skills and achievements and the proven ability to exercise good and objective judgment – not on politics, favoritism or principles of entrenchment.

Those aren’t promises. Those are threats. The idea that, to pick an example not entirely at random, the Eastern New York State Soccer Association should have any meaningful input in who should coach the national teams is downright painful. There are areas of knowledge that can’t be crowd-sourced effectively, and hiring coaches and technical directors is….okay, it’s not up there with neuroscience, but I believe you see what I’m getting at.

Winograd isn’t stupid, and presumably realizes this. Sunil Gulati’s expertise in choosing national team coaches was inadequate, and did not improve with experience. (What did he end up picking, three each for the men’s and women’s teams? Godalmighty.) There’s no good reason to leave decisions like this to King Mob. And there’s nothing here that says Winograd would do so. Input from advisory committees isn’t binding, still less when it’s from the break room at the construction site at the Tower of Babel.

There aren’t many people running here who believe in the USSF President having less power. And it’s funny how youth soccer brings out the autocrat in everyone.

We should take a fresh look at youth soccer’s organizational structure on a state by state basis. We need to implement uniform standards and ensure fairness across youth soccer in all states, and then work together to structure the youth landscape in any given state in a way that makes the most sense for that state, taking into account existing entities, geography, demographics and other key factors. And we must clearly define that structure and its individual components to the consumer.

One way to achieve what works best for an individual state would be to leave it to the individual state. Winograd, like Gans, and like most of the other candidates, would sooner crawl on broken glass.

Eric Wynalda announced his run something like a week before Winograd, but over a week after the Trinidad debacle – after spending literally years hemming and hawing about it. He would have been in a much better position had he made a stand before it was safe – but judging by his campaign web site, probably not. There’s no platform, just a series of pinheaded videos under three minutes each. The closest thing to an actual plan is in the Four Four Two interview he did with Scott French. His twin planks are promotion and relegation on the one hand, and a winter-to-spring schedule on the other.

Let’s put aside for a moment whether either of these are good ideas. Wynalda presumably knows that no US league is doing either of these things voluntarily, but assumes the USSF President has the power to force these policies onto member organizations. It’s a little troubling when people spend years complaining about Sunil Gulati exercising too much power, only to find out the solution is to change the name of the person exercising that power.

It was not Wynalda that sounded the knell for the Gulati administration, but Carlos Cordeiro. Until Kathy Carter entered the race, Cordeiro was routinely summed up as Gulati’s right-hand man. Apparently the two had a split, probably due to Cordeiro realizing that Gulati was ambulatory dead meat before Gulati did.

There is a great deal on Codeiro’s platform that deserves serious discussion and consideration. In fact, he would probably make a very good USSF President, my glib click-baity dismissal of the entire process notwithstanding. But if you considered Gans and Winograd, and thought, “I like them, but they don’t suggest enough committees”? Have we got a guy for you!

These are the planks in Cordeiro’s platform that stood out the most, to me, anyway?

Have a truly independent President who is beholden to no one, listens to and treats all members of our community fairly, is transparent, abides by checks and balances, and works collaboratively to bring all stakeholders together around common goals; [and]

Empower the Board to play a greater role in all Federation activities, including the creation of two new board-level committees: a technical committee, chaired by an Athlete Director, to oversee soccer operations, and a commercial committee, chaired by an independent director, to oversee all USSF commercial activities, including marketing and TV broadcast rights[….]

That first paragraph is quite the slap at Sunil Gulati, unless all this time Cordeiro’s held a grudge against the late Dr. Bob Contiguglia (EDIT - good news! He's not dead! Why did I think that? The world may never know). And it’s a refreshing acknowledgement that checks and balances in USSF exist, rather than depend on the whim of the executive.

The commercial committee idea seems like a reference to Soccer United Marketing, and not necessarily a kindly one. It reads like he’s talking about putting a cop on their corner, especially if we go by “independent director.” Cordeiro might, in fact, have been wrongly dismissed as a status quo candidate. I’d be extremely interested to hear Cordeiro elaborate on this.

And apparently I’m the only one who would be, since there’s literally a lawsuit going on about this very topic and the genius plaintiffs don’t even seem to have asked Cordeiro for an opinion.

It’s worth noting that Wynalda seems to loathe Carlos Cordeiro on a personal level, judging by the Scott French interview. In case you’re wondering how close this was going to be to a full-on Cordeiro endorsement.

Two other former US national team players joined the race, and I like to think both of them joined specifically to annoy Eric Wynalda. Wynalda certainly treated Kyle Martino dismissively enough, and continues to. Paul Caligiuri, on the other hand, is one of the few men who outranks Wynalda on the legendariness scale.

Kyle Martino has been agonizingly slow with specifics, and irritatingly quick with accusations – he and Wynalda need to form a joint ticket. Or a podcast. Martino, like Wynalda, is given to dark accusations of blackballing and reprisals against those who place toes against lines with insufficient enthusiasm. In complete fairness, Martino has endorsed an idea where little soccer goals could be placed under basketball hoops in city playgrounds. It’s a pretty poor excuse for inclusion, but then again, at least it’s an idea.

Paul Caligiuri is not campaigning online, and doesn’t have a web-based platform. In case you were wondering how close this was going to be to a full-on Caligiuri endorsement.

The true insider candidate rolled around in December, when it became apparent that even this crop was preferable to Four More Years.

Sometime between November and now women started playing soccer, so someone had the bright idea to get a woman to run for USSF President. Kathy Carter’s platform is unusually light, even for this field. It really boils down to whether you believe “President of Soccer United Marketing” is a qualification or not. There’s nothing Carter is going to do to win over someone who has the fears of all SUM.

Carter is also running an old-fashioned USSF campaign, which means meeting the people who actually have the vote. It was ridiculous to think that the President of SUM would not have the endorsement of the Chief Executive Officer of SUM, so people should not have been appalled that Don Garber was campaigning for her. Sunil Gulati, on the other hand, was pretending not to have endorsed anyone, at least until Grant Wahl followed up on endorsements from a couple of Eastern Seaboard soccer associations.

Did I mention we’re dealing with a bunch of guys who are used to making decisions and are not used to being second-guessed? For all you who expected soccer associations to poll their membership on who they would support – did it hurt? When you fell off the tomato truck? You knew Carter was the insider candidate already, wipe the shocked look off your face.

Then there’s Hope Solo, who…is putting together a clear and consistent platform backed up with the passion and sincerity of her beliefs. Everyone has made up their mind about Hope Solo, which is fine, but that doesn’t mean she’s not as serious a candidate as literally any of the others.

If the theory is that you want a change candidate? If you want someone who is really going to change the old boy network, reshape the way the Federation does business, give more attention to the women’s program, give more outreach to poor and under-served communities? Solo is your candidate. Yes, she’s one of the least diplomatic people in the sport, but then, so is Wynalda.

I know, it’s unfair to compare Solo to Wynalda. Solo has won championships. And Solo’s platform is coherent.

There’s something irritating about USA Today, for example, saying Solo can’t win because of her previous controversial remarks.

The problem for Solo is that she isn’t the only former player running, but she is the only one with a hostile relationship with the federation. She won’t be able to overcome that.”

Emphasis in original.

Hey, let’s go back and see what Wynalda told Scott French about the USSF:

“I completely hated my experience with the United States Soccer Federation from 1989 until now. There hasn’t been a time in any of that that I trusted their motives, where I didn’t feel that I was being manipulated or deceived or lied to or essentially ruled by fear. We have been told, ‘Cooperate and comply or we don’t need you. Take it or leave it. Ninety/ten is our idea of a partnership,’ and then we’re expected to wear the crest and be proud and go represent our country. It doesn’t work that way. It’s been that way for too long…Playing for the national team really is not something that anybody enjoys anymore. And that’s mainly because of the relationship with their federation is horrible. And that has gone back the last couple of decades. Anybody that has played for the national team will tell you without hesitation that they hate their federation.”

But Solo is the irrational one. Why, she can barely form a coherent thought:

Hope Solo says she will eliminate sexism and discrimination in her campaign statement. She did not offer how she would do that. She didn’t write a paragraph about it. She didn’t even write a complete sentence about how she would eliminate two things that have existed in our society since its inception. Just know that she’s gonna do that. Sexism and discrimination in soccer? Boom. Gone.

Yes, Hope’s platform was collected into bullet points. The thinking behind those bullet points was spelled out in detail in her Facebook post and the “Why I’m running” section.

Now, if one were to say that Solo, too, assumes a USSF President bestowed with limitless power for good or evil, then yes, that would be a fair criticism. If you were to tell me that Solo, like most of the other candidates, is running for dictator, I would listen attentively.

But calling Solo unrealistic and unclear in the same race where Silent Cal doesn’t even have a website, and Eric Wynalda promises to ban summer soccer? Asinine.

The United States Soccer Federation is a licensing organization. It provides a bureaucracy to handle player contracts, manage leagues and tournaments, administer the laws, and occasionally promote the game.

Lately it has achieved attention for assembling a series of men’s and women’s all-star teams to compete with other national teams in various competitions. Those are the Federation’s primary revenue sources, and by the way the source of every single one of its fans.

The mission for the USSF is the following:

Stop losing;

Stop getting sued;

Host the World Cup.

Instead, we will get someone whose mission will be to continue to consolidate power, for whatever perceived good. I believe Pete Townshend had the final word when it came to making introductions with recently-ascended overseers.

Len, RafaLarios, The Franchise and 4 others repped this.
?

Okay, fine. Who ya got?

1. Gans

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Wynalda

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Winograd

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Cordeiro

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  5. Caligiuri

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Martino

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Carter

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  8. Solo

11 vote(s)
    20.8%

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Dan Loney, Dec 29, 2017.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

no we were at the rally for moving the crew too austin..big buzz we expect the move to be official by july.

3. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Hahahaha

Check this out

Austin city council is being pressured to tell Precourt to go ******** himself.

Crew ain't moving.

barroldinho repped this.
    4. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Hahaha

5. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Austin city council being pressured to tell precourt to go ******** himself.

barroldinho repped this.
    6. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
      Bakersfield, CA
      Club:
      Real Salt Lake
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Almost as if much of Austin doesn't care about getting a pro sports team...

barroldinho and stanger repped this.
    7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

nope we have around five places for a new stadium...ohio has none. really hyped for the announcement as is everyone is austin the buzz is unreal.

8. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

9. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

How about this? I hear businesses in the Domain are nimby's as well.

Looks like your 5 is now 0.

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2018/01/city-parkland-vanish-soccer-stadium-consideration/

But please, keep telling me about the buzz and how "everyone" means more than you and the others astroturfing the support.

Go away troll.

10. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
      Bakersfield, CA
      Club:
      Real Salt Lake
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

I was honestly surprised a that a gift or subsidized purchase of city parkland was ever under consideration. I still expect the city's final decision will be "Find your own land, buy it, and we'll rezone it to allow a stadium. Property tax is due quarterly. Go FC Austin!"

stanger repped this.
    11. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

He wants free land. Greely said it's the only way it would work.

Columbus Crew ain't moving.

12. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
      Vienna, VA

Is anyone going to comment about the presidential race, or shall I unwatch this thread?

14. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

I think our Austin friend is done.

Any comment on Dan Loney getting blocked by Wynalda on Twitter?

15. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
      Cincilluminati
      Club:
      Los Angeles Sol
      Nat'l Team:
      Philippines

I had it coming.

The last straw was this Wynalda press release, which claims he wasn't behind the parking of a video truck all week during the convention. You will notice that Wynalda did not make this reassurance until after the convention was over. I considered this implausible deniability, so I asked Eric what the driver said when he asked them to knock off the smears and move along.

Attached Files:

stanger repped this.
    16. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

So, to be clear, you do think he was responsible for the truck being there and is lying about it?

Look, I'm just a fan going off what I read or hear and I don't understand the dislike of Wynalda. As a fan of the Columbus Crew, life long player, youth coach and father of a daughter that went through club, ODP, high school and is now playing in college, I know the system is broken. From my perspective, it looks like those at the top, the ones pushing Carter, are guilty of filling their own pockets and those of SUM without a care for anything else.

My daughter was on a top club team that traveled extensively. Fees were $1500+ and that didn't include travel expenses 5-7 times a year. Think Sunil cares about that? How long did he have to change it? Why should I expect Carter or any other insider to change it?

ODP is a huge money grab, nothing else. Couple hundred dollars for the first level, make the state team and its a couple hundred more in addition to driving 2-3 times a week 50+miles away for practice. Make the regional team? Great! $600 more and you can go to Illinois for a few days. No evalation, no real feedback.

It's a joke, and it is why people like me support Wynalda. But, I have no vote of course. MLS gets to make the decision for all intents and purposes and who do you think mr. Parallel paths is going to install? Whoever will benefit SUM.

Please, tell me I'm totally wrong. Tell me who I should support that can put the game in the reach of every kid, not just those that can afford it. Who cares about building communities of fans, not just lies about "business metrics".

Who should we support?

17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
      England
      Aug 13, 2007
      US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      England

In all honesty, I agree with Loney's assessment that we don't have great candidates.

Given that we don't have a vote and are left as mere observers, I personally don't see any colours worth nailing to my proverbial mast.

I plain don't trust Wynalda on a couple of scores. First off, he comes off as brash, reactionary and his ideas seem half-cocked. There are many reasons why people such as myself feel that the US is not ready for pro/rel and there are good reasons why US soccer doesn't play the same season as most European Leagues. Yet these seem to be Wynalda's most prominent "fixes" for what ails US soccer.

Then there's the honesty factor. After years of acting all bold, brash and anti-establishment, he's now walking that back because he realises that the 'persona' we've see on TV broadcasts, doesn't serve him so well in his presidential bid. The problem is, instead of taking ownership of how he represented himself all those years, he now claims that he was directed to present that brash persona by those running the shows he was on.

That doesn't ring true. First off, I can't imagine any network or show he's been on, welcoming his tirades about the non-existent global soccer schedule and secondly, the reactions and body language of his co-hosts during his match analysis, often suggested that they couldn't take him seriously. I don't see many producers wanting that to come across on a broadcast. Furthermore, how can you claim to be "anti-establishment" then claim that your rants on same were somehow the result of an obligation placed on your by an authority figure?

Then there's the NASL connection. He's being pushed and backed by the incompetents that have that league on deathwatch and whose past associations have hardly been wholesome and conciliatory themselves. Do people forget how aggressively the prominent owners acted towards both MLS and USL at inception? They certainly didn't seem content to coexist with USL at the D2 level. Yet we're expected to believe that them and the inherently biased candidate that they support, are going to treat the entire US soccer landscape with an even hand?

Who should we support? Nobody.

Trust me: it's better to ruin your ballot and say "none of the above", than to vote for X because you don't like Y. Without getting into global government politics, I've seen some disturbing outcomes when people have "protest voted" for a candidate they don't really support.

stanger, Dan Loney and The Franchise repped this.
    18. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
      Cincilluminati
      Club:
      Los Angeles Sol
      Nat'l Team:
      Philippines

Yup! But that's not the point.

People assumed it was Wynalda - what with it looking like the feed of one of his supporters' anonymous accounts, and all. Is it fair to blame Wynalda for the actions of his enthusiastic supporters?

Of course it is. It's USSF President, not US President. There aren't hundreds of thousands of people to organize. He's not Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. Wynalda can contact pretty much all of his supporters with a single mass e-mail - or, as he did here, a Tweet.

People assumed it was Wynalda, because the truck's slogans are exactly what has come from Wynalda supporters - literally right down to the Twitter hashtags. If he thought those were smears all this time, then he could have told people "Knock off the smears" literally months ago.

Wynalda released the statement because Twitter idiots started bothering real human beings, and there was actual pushback. Yeah, if he paid for it, that's also pretty bad. But Wynalda is saying only he can save American soccer. If he can't even control his volunteers, how is he going to deal with MLS lawyers?

I don't think there is a "good guy" in this race. How you feel about an activist, centralized USSF Board and Presidency, though, may make you warm up to Gans or Winograd. Caligiuri says sensible things, but should have come up with a coherent platform long before now. Solo is a terrible person, Martino is running for tyrant, Cordeiro should have resigned from the USSF vice presidency before running so he could actually address an issue, and Carter is the President of SUM. I'd be happiest if Caligiuri won right now, but he might up and say something wackadoo, who knows.

The Franchise, barroldinho and stanger repped this.
    19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
      Columbus
      Club:
      Columbus Crew
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

Thanks for the insight, both of you.

Protest votes suck for two reasons, there are no good people to vote for and you know whoever has the most $ wins. Usually, anyway.

I know I don't want someone that Garber is campaigning for. I don't want anyone associated with the current leaders. That puts two out right away. Because, as Lalas said, this is soccer, I would kinda like to see Solo get elected and just burn the whole thing down, get arrested for something stupid and get canned for it. Then elect someone else.

I hafe that it isn't justva tough choice, its will be horrible regardless.

Dan Loney and barroldinho repped this.
    20. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006

1)support someone with actual ideas that are remotely realistic
      2)somebody has to pay everything can't be free and expect millions in return
      2)without mls/sum there would be no crew don't forget that.

21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
      #146 a_new_fan, Jan 24, 2018
      Last edited: Jan 24, 2018

the other thing you are missing is the wikimls twitter account.

they say its an unaffiliated twitter...but look at it. It bashes people running against wynalda...but praises wynalda and recently since the wynalda/martino alliance have been rumored they've stopped taking shots at martino and deleted old tweets that were negative about him.

this is all why wynalda is being compared to trump.

also funny note

wikimls doesn't follow wynalda...but retweets a lot of what wynalda tweets but wynalda follows wikimls???

22. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
      Brooklyn, NY
      Club:
      Manchester United FC

Trump never mind the Russians got him elected president. Let’s nuke Russia does trump even care about our game. Now we are fighting amongst ourselves the softball players are fighting the real football players us and the American players. This could cause a civil war here that is what the Russians want. I warned my daughter not to marry a Russian but she did not listen to me thank God she finally divorced the guy.