Abby Wambach announces retirement

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Blaze20, Oct 27, 2015.

?

Did Abby self-retire or was she told to retire?

1. Abby made the decision on her own

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Abby was advised to retire

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the way I feel. I hate not commenting on the front page, though.

2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several have already commented on her goal versus Brazil; that goal was amazing and watching that moment still gives me goosebumps (not that it was her first goal against Brazil in extra time...remember the 2004 Olympics?). However, another of those classic Abby moments was when she had her head stapled on the field in the qualifier against Mexico. She was tough as nails, and while she might go down easy in more recent years, over her career she was often double and triple marked and subject to physical play by defenders and still managed to score. She carried the team on her back, especially in the years between Hamm and Morgan. IMHO, Wambach handled becoming a bench player in the WWC with grace and has still been the team's heart and inspirational leader from the bench just like she had been for the last decade.

Some of her career stats: 184 goals in 252 caps (and still counting...I'm betting the team tries to get her another goal or two in these last few games); 77 of the 184 were with her head; 16 were penalties.

I'm sure USSF will produce some videos to honor Abby as she retires, but until then, there's this:

Thanks, Abby!

exref, crog1967 and Calci0 repped this.
  3. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    While a true legend, even 15 minutes against Trinidad&Tobago showed it's quite obvious Abby isn't at a level to play with the USWNT anymore. The signs were there the last couple of years, but her performances were always just good enough and with the WC, it was clear she wouldn't be going away until now. However, she seems to have wanted to play the Olympics and I can't help but think the Ellis and the US Soccer Federation said that she needs to retire because there's no way she's making that Rio roster. Thoughts?

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her decision. Even with her form rapidly falling into decline over the last couple years, she is still a draw for the more casual fans who don't follow the team as closely as we do. I doubt the federation would be so willing to want to lose that draw, even with players like Morgan, Solo, and now Lloyd as other drawing points.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #80 MRAD12, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Just my opinion but I feel she may have had a gut feeling that her time is up and that by the time the Olympics came around, her skills and body would be in even further decline to compete in international high level.
    Also, the roster for Olympics would be less then the World Cup roster. She would be taking the space of an up and coming talented young player.

Let's not forget as much as US Soccer would like to make money off of Abby's name, Jill Ellis is still a coach. And as a Coach, she wants to put the best players available to her on the pitch. Regardless of popularity and draw power.

Regardless of who's idea it is for her to retire, it probably is time as she has done everything there is to do on the soccer field. NCAA Champion, Professional Club Champion, World Cup Champion, Olympic Gold Medalist, most goals ever, man or woman, and so on and so forth. Nothing else to do but sail off into the sunset and enjoy the rest of life doing other life goals.

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    combination of both?

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont think the VT Wambach is about skill decline as much as work ethic decline. Agree it's her decision.

8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was her decision. It may have been influenced by talks during the WWC about her reduced playing time, but I doubt it. The writing's been on the wall for awhile, and she has said that the only big accomplishment left in her career would be a WWC win. Once she had that, all signs pointed to her being ready for the next stage of life. If USSF influenced it at all, I suspect that USSF might have asked her to delay the announcement of that decision so as not to overshadow the other retirements.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celebs say "Thanks, Abby":

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wambach's retirement message:

US Soccer's "Tribute to Abby Wambach":

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some more articles that I don't believe got posted in the "News and Media" thread:

Guardian article: "One for the Road"

Vice Sports article: "Abby Wambach Leaves Soccer"

Mashable piece with an explanation of the temporary deactivation of her social media accounts

ESPNW also has a slew of videos and articles including a post-game interview with Foudy in which both get a bit emotional.

"The Wambach Legacy" by Gwendolyn Oxenham. This article has a great quote:

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like the late night infomercials, "and wait, there's more..."

Hope Solo shares stories on Wambach (this one really is worth the read): One Last Goodbye

USA Today's article

And an ESPN interview with Julie Foudy prior to the last game.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

For the record, Pinoe played guitar in college, long before Pia became coach.

14. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geneva repped this.
  15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I see Wambach is now claiming that she left the WNY Flash to repair her marriage and not to mentally prepare for WC. Am I a cynic for not buying this one either?

16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not new; its the same thing she said in her book Forward. With her level of vulnerability throughout the rest of the book, personally I believe her.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Haven't read her book but I did know that it was a source of the statement. Guess I'm jaded but I will never see Wambach as anything but manipulative.

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Abby peace and happiness. Seems it's hard to come by for her. Sometimes the same things that make you a star and an athletic force make you too volatile to keep your life together.

jnielsen repped this.
  19. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    k_t, I think you are too harsh. I do not give credence to Abby's influence in the USWNT. Maybe on MagicJack, but I don't really know anything about that. Anyway, I hope she is successfully dealing with her alcoholism and can maximize her full potential in everyday living.

20. natbat20

natbat20 New Member

orlando pride
    United States
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is definitely one of the best women's soccer players.