Aaron Ramsey Jr thread - First Blood

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DutchCane, Oct 6, 2011.

1. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally think Arsene will rotate Arteta, Ramsey and Wilshere (upon his return) in the two more attack-oriented midfielder roles. I think any of those pairings presents the opposition with problems.

Ramsey-Wilshere: Jack can play in a deeper lying role and provide service to Ramsey
    Wilshere-Arteta: Jack moves further up the pitch and links with RVP while Arteta continues in his established role
    Arteta-Ramsey: more of the same from this increasingly solid pairing

The real beauty of Wilshere's ability is he can slot into both an attacking and defensive role, he has the ability to thrive in either role.

2. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or Hleb, or a 26 year old Rosicky.

and truth be told, we haven't been consistently sexy since those days.

3. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    smh. People are stupid.

Cesc at 85% is better than anyone in the midfield we have now. Them's just facts.

Ramsey has excellent technique, witness the pirouette. As for "special passes" I quote the great Michael Jeffrey Jordan "if you are afraid to miss you'll never take the big shot". Song and Rambo do the same thing. Prior to Song's magical assist to RvP for one of the golassos of my lifetime he had tried several "hollywood balls" that didn't come off. So what? Big fuhkin' deal. They will eventually come off. Sounds to me like people are picking nits to make their argument hold water. Which doesn't work cause it's flawed.

If you think Wilshere is FAR better going forward you're either his g/f or a delusional fan angrily burning a #4 Fabregas Arsenal shirt. GTFOH.

4. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He created a chance from open play more often than any player in the top 5 Euro leagues.

If that's what you classify as poor, I hope Ramsey and Wilshere can be just as poor.

5. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    he was poor compared to 100% Cesc. Which is like saying I'm lost $10 billion but I have $50 billion left. smh

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Idk why I even engaged a dude named Wellington Silva, lol.

he wasnt close to poor when he played last year (or when he played healthy)

he was one of the most creative players in Europe still.

Was he below the standard he set the year before, yes. But poor is ridiculous. RVP has 40 goals this calender year. If he ends up with 30 next year, would that be poor? no. It would be a great season, but not as great as his all time best.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    effort wise, defensively and in terms of penetrating with the ball he took a step back

his much more direct play compared to the previous year imo makes it a poor year (by standards he set)

i like the new look of our team, the midfield is balanced, wilshere should look at artetas positioning and learn to hold back more imo as ramsey is the better 'advanced' player of the 2

8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    while i agree that they are different type of players who, when played together, seems like they would fit well and complement each other, i still don't see how playing with wilshere will make up for ramsey's supposed "poor close control" ("His close control is frustratingly poor, but wilshere could make up for that when they play together"). playing alongside wilshere isn't going to make up for ramsey having "poor close control" anymore than than playing alongside van persie isn't going to make up for bendtner's poor close control.

i will say, thought, that i agree that wilshere was outstanding last season up until around february or march when he ran out of gas. and my opinion happens to match your assessment that he was the engine that made that midfield work because he was better than just about anyone we had/have at showing for the ball at the right time and finding the right pass to move the ball onto (before he was broken, rosicky was about as good).

9. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i thought wilshere did a good job of this last season as well but i think you're right arteta has done a great job of dropping back at the right time (though i think song has been much more judicious about his forays). i hope wilshere is watching him and some of the stuff he does.

10. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do i need to point out that no one has said wilshere is far better going forward than fabregas?

11. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Although some people on here have problems seeing it ramseys close control is not great, mainly when hes put under pressure by his opponent, wilshere playing next to him would make up for it because we need a player that can take the ball in any situation no matter how little space there is. Atm the player most capable of it is arteta but hes just not as good at it as wilshere, and at times we're asking ramsey to do too much. With wilshere next to him ramsey can relax knowing his midfield partner can open up space for him. Atm its ramseys job to try and make something out of a congested midfield, and that aint one of his strengths because of his loose control

12. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you did?

13. -apoc-

-apoc- Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Satellite Beach, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think I figured that out! He was actually comparing Arteta and Jack to each other and not to Cesc. However the way it was written it did look like he was saying Arteta was better than Cesc defensively and Jack was far better going forward.

14. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah it did look like that actually. I should've quoted the comment i was responding to and the context would've been clearer. But yeah i was comparing wilshere and arteta not fabregas

15. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh...oh well

another debate done and dusted.

16. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though he didn't score today, the power of Rambo is obviously immense...

A bit intriguing how prophetic this is, actually.

17. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm disappointed that there's only one post about Kim Jong-Il in this thread

18. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Some crappy performances lately but a massive 2nd half after another SHIT first half. Credit to him for NEVER hiding and demanding the ball and trying to make things happen

19. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why optimism should be high around Ramsey.

He's a baller. Loves the game. Hungry to be the man. He's going to be very good.

20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big fan, but he needs a rest. Has for the last month, really.

21. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    Seriously. He just looks absolute lifeless out there at times. Give the kid a rest.

Rosicky and Arteta in the middle should be fine.

22. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree. Huge fan of Rambo, but the kid needs a rest. Mature beyond his years. Cannot think of anyone else at AFC playing his first full season as a fit player and asked to do so much for a top level club. I think Wenger is worried about lack of speed when Rambo is out. I could see a Coq - Ramsey/Benayoun - Arteta MF getting the job done against lesser teams.

23. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    i wonder if it was his own idea (or wenger at half) but he really paved the way for us to look like we could, you know, ACTUALLY SCORE by starting to make runs into the attacking third. our other penalty was due to a defender following his lead and being caught from behind. we really looked lifeless after that...maybe he was just too tired to do it the entire game (i agree he majorly needs a rest). this RvP alone crap is not effective if nobody makes runs within 20 yards of him.

24. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    completely agree.

I'd like to see Song-Arteta-Rosicky.

25. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, i'd like to see Arshavin get a game in the middle. Especially if we've got some starting fullbacks ready to go. He does give the ball away too much, but i still think that he could make things happen. Call me crazy.